Patient Comments: Endometrial Ablation - Side Effects

Question:Did you experience any side effects from your endometrial ablation?

Comment from: home mom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

It's been almost two years since my endometrial ablation. The procedure itself was very easy and painless with minimal recovery time. I was teaching aerobics within two weeks afterward. No periods since – it has been very nice! However, I started having constant hot flashes about six months later. I am 50 years old. I have also recently been having cramps and bloating. I'm not sure if I would do it again or not. The procedure was just a Band-aid for hormone imbalance. I should have probably just balanced my hormones instead. I'm praying I won't need a hysterectomy.

Comment from: female patient, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I had endometrial ablation 16 months ago, it worked for me. I have no bleeding and no more periods; bliss!

Comment from: Tfain1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had endometrial ablation on 2/14/14, I have stale smell now and still have abdominal pain.

Comment from: PrissyA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I had the ablation procedure 4 years ago and periods stopped for only 3 months afterwards. I've had a period every month since. Now I've had this last cycle of continuous bleeding going on 4 weeks now. I went to the emergency room and was prescribed Provera to stop the bleeding and I will be getting an ultrasound next week. Also I'm severely anemic. I was told since the procedure that I will probably end up having a hysterectomy. I was on birth control pills to help lessen the bleeding, but have stopped taking it. I'm 40 now and I'm thinking it's time for the partial hysterectomy if possible!

Comment from: AngieW38, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had endometrial ablation done in office with the balloon in March. My post op recovery was fine but I have continued to have the same pain and heavy period that I had prior to having it done.

Comment from: aprilrain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I had a tubal ligation in 2001. After the tubal I began to experience heavy bleeding and painful cycles. 2004 I had the ablation. The recovery was a breeze and even to this day my cycle was been extremely light, only requiring pantie liners lasting two days. I am now approaching 10 years post op and I have started experiencing chronic pelvic, lower back, and leg pain. The pain has been so bad I have nearly fainted. I recently went to the E.R. for the second time in three weeks and they discovered fluid trapped in my left Fallopian tube. I followed up with my gyno (who performed ablation) who informed me the fluid is trapped blood. Scar tissue is growing over the lining of my uterus preventing my menstrual blood from exiting.

Comment from: XXangelXX, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I had hydrothermal ablation done after 18 years of extreme heavy painful periods. Since having this done I've been leaking watery fluid that is kind of rusty in color. I've had no bleeding which is good, but still getting stomach cramps. Also I'm getting seriously annoying hot flashes day and night.

Comment from: hedgy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I had this procedure January 2011 and for a year everything was fantastic. No bleeding, no pain -- absolutely fantastic. Then suddenly I started to get a lot of discharge. It started just clear, quite normal you might say but then is started to yellow and the smell is just awful.

Comment from: karra, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I had the ensure done April of 2012. Sever pain only that first day and minimal discharge for a couple weeks. No periods no and no pain since, the only problem with no periods is your body doesn't clean itself. My physician had this done as well so is nice to talk with her. We suffer with an odor for a couple weeks after our periods would have taken place due to the fact that we're not flowing anymore, perfectly normal but frustrating, and I trend to be prone to BV and yeast infections. Ugh! I use a lot of home remedies monthly/daily to prevent such problems and occurrences. Having great success!! Over all I'm happy with the surgery.

Comment from: Boogity7, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I had an ablation done 6 years ago and everything went fine. I've had a period every month since, just minimal bleeding...no cramping, etc. However, 3 weeks ago I got severe abdominal pain, feverish and have been in bed/on couch ever since. I went to the ER and they diagnosed me with cervicitis and vaginitis but no explanation of why I had either one. went to a GYN today and she tells me that it could be from the ablation as they are finding people that had them done are getting abcesses in their uterus!! I go in 2 days for an ultrasound and then we have to discuss options from there. I'm wondering if I will end up with a hysterectomy.

Endometrial Ablation - Patient Experience Question: Did you undergo an endometrial ablation? Please describe your experience?
Endometrial Ablation - Complications Question: Did you experience complications of endometrial ablation? What happened?