Patient Comments: Endocarditis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with endocarditis for you or someone you know?

Comment from: Ratchet102, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I recently had endocarditis caused by strep viridans. I had mechanical heart valve replacement. My symptoms were fatigue, chills, joint pain, decreased urinary output, and eventually two strokes.

Comment from: John, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

I had periodic episodes of night sweats and chills, swollen feet, and almost constant fatigue. I was misdiagnosed twice and put on prednisone, which did little or nothing to help the endocarditis symptoms I was having. But it was after I developed severe low back pain that landed me in the hospital where they finally did a blood culture and found the bacterial infection.

Comment from: BarbaKay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

My symptoms of endocarditis were loss of appetite and weight loss; extreme fatigue; fevers every evening of 101 - 102; super soaker night sweats; majorly swollen ankles; 3-4 night trips to the restroom (water retention); shortness of breath - when I would "laugh" it came out as coughing. I went to the doctor. She took blood and found my blood count to be in the 7-8 range, where 15 is normal. Found my iron in the "normal" range. Found my sedimentation rate in the 90s, where 30 is normal. She said I had anemia of chronic disease and now we have to figure out which chronic disease it is! The infectious disease doctor figured it out. Endocarditis! Boom - to the hospital I went for 24/7 antibiotics. I had open heart surgery to repair the mitral valve. Moral of the story – if you've ever had to take premedication antibiotics prior to a dentist appointment, and now don't because the Heart Association removed the mandate – take them anyway and save yourself from open heart surgery - or death!

Comment from: Beverley, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 14

My husband died of endocarditis last November. It came on quickly and he had no symptoms of this until the week before he died. It"s hard to diagnose and is very much like any other disease. If you start getting tired and coughing see a doctor.

Comment from: zipper chest, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

My endocarditis started with classic fever symptoms: chills, followed by fever, headaches and body aches. The first onset of symptoms lasted for 2 days and almost subsided by the 3rd day. But for the following several days, particularly beginning in the late afternoons and continuing through the nights, I experienced continued fevers (102 degrees+), severe headaches and night sweats. The 7th day after the onset of the original symptoms I saw my doctor, who thought it might be a viral infection. The 10th day after the onset of the original symptoms I was no better and my doctor checked me into the emergency room.

Comment from: pauldub, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 18

I was first diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse (MVP) 30 years ago and always took antibiotics prior to dental work. Then that was changed and I had dental work done without antibiotics. I began to lose weight and get extremely tired over a period of two months. Breathing became more difficult. I had night sweats and frequent headaches. I was told that this was because I smoked and should stop. Then one morning I got a severe pain in my chest and fell over. When the ambulance came I fainted and fainted several more times in the emergency room (ER). An echocardiogram stress test showed a growth on my mitral valve. I was given intravenous antibiotics for 5 days in the hospital and then through a PICC line for 8 weeks.

Comment from: Waudene, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I have a mitral valve prolapse and osteoarthritis with bone thinning. My family doctor suggested I take Prolia. I asked if it had any bad side effects, and he had said "no". After two injections I read in a magazine, all the side effects. Some of these I have experienced. My concern is endocarditis, so no more Prolia for me. My cardiologist will probably not be happy that I was given the Prolia. I am on medications for the valve prolapse. Hopefully it will be out of by body soon.

Endocarditis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for endocarditis?