Patient Comments: Encephalopathy - Type of Encephalopathy

Question:From what type of encephalopathy did you suffer?

Comment from: adamsj74, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 13

I am 37 who suffers with hepatic encephalopathy every day and I to get frustrated with myself sometimes so much to say I wish I could check out but we got to raise awareness and get support groups through Facebook and twitter build from each other strength just a few suggestions I had.

Comment from: rpg.inc, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 29

My father has been diagnosed with hepatic encephalopathy, peripheral neuropathy, and osteoarthritis on his knees. He's only 67 and it is believed to be his alcoholism that caused this condition. The doctor has started him on hospice but I have hope he can get better. He is cognizant and speaks, although repeats his phrases quite a bit. Is there any therapy out there that can help? He eats well but it is getting more difficult to move around and he's lost bowel control. Need better advice than hospice. Can anyone help?

Comment from: Pixxsie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I am suffering from hepatic encephalopathy. Chronic alcoholism. Liver very swollen, veins protruding to surface in abdominal area. I'm very scared. I go to Alcoholics Anonymous. I have tried so hard to stop drinking. Today I'm very scared. I'm confused, - I've done an IQ test - about 2 years ago, and had nothing to worry about. Now...I'm scared, confused, my livers failing and I'm at work right now with a very swollen face, abdomen (and I'm a tiny girl) - the tears are welling up, I feel that I'm dying. I've been hospitalized a few times for pancreatitis and hepatitis. I try to stay positive, but the toxins in my blood due to impaired liver function and cirrhosis are leading me to mental confusion. I'm embarrassed at work and I am losing all dignity. Once a pretty girl with a good heart and now I'm ill, afraid, humiliated and feel like a waste of space. God please grant me the capacity to not give up because right now I want to give up.

Comment from: Anjali, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 23

A baby girl age 2 years having the problem Hypoxic encephalopathy according to local doctor said. We have done MRI of her brain. She can't catch the thing by using hands and she can't move on her feet. She can't talk with others. Saliva released every time from her mouth. She always cries and can't sit without others help.

Comment from: Angel on Earth, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I have been diagnosed with Encephalopathy Hashimoto. I have been taking steroids and Cortizone. My situation is a bit better but I can still feel I am not 100% my self yet. It was a very terrifying experience for me and I hope nobody will have to go through what I have been through. I was in a coma state for 4 months. I have lost my memory completely. I didn't know where I was, who I was, how old I was, could not recognize members of my family. It's been a year now that I have the problem and I can hardly remember this last one year.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I have hepatic encephalopathy. I was diagnosed just 3 months ago and I agree, it's the scariest disease I've ever dealt with!! Out of the clear blue, I'll get weak in my knees and leg muscles and I know I'm going to "faint"/or have a small seizure. I don't actually lose conscious, I'm aware of my surroundings, but it can happen anytime, anywhere. Fortunately, so far, I can sense them coming and can, for the most part, stay at home. But I've had problems driving; I get so sleepy my eyes won't stay open; I'm really scared I'll hurt someone. The medicine, Lactulose, makes me so self-conscious; I'm almost home-bound. The gas and diarrhea are miserable. When first diagnosed, my doctors didn't believe me when I told them I wasn't an alcoholic!! I do have liver disease, so a biopsy is planned. I was in medicine for 25 years & I had never heard of this horrible disease. I try to do keep writing or playing games on my computer to try & keep my mind as straight as I can. No one has told me yet, but I'm waiting for the "bad" news after this next round of tests. Thanks for reading this-I just had to vent somewhere.

Comment from: Frantic, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I was recently diagnosed with Encephalopathy. My Neurologist believes it is from medications. He said he doesn't prescribe Nortriptyline to patients over 50. He didn't seem sure that that was the medication that caused it. I switched medications and am concerned that I should go off all medications. Has anyone else out there gotten Encephalopathy from medications? I'd be interested in talking to you-anonymously, of course. Thank you.

Encephalopathy - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of encephalopathy in you or someone you know?
Encephalopathy - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests and exams led to the diagnosis of encephalopathy in you, a friend, or relative?
Encephalopathy - Prognosis Question: What is the outlook for a patient you know who had encephalopathy?