Patient Comments: Encephalopathy - Type of Encephalopathy

Question:From what type of encephalopathy did you suffer?

Comment from: Angel on Earth, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I have been diagnosed with Encephalopathy Hashimoto. I have been taking steroids and Cortizone. My situation is a bit better but I can still feel I am not 100% my self yet. It was a very terrifying experience for me and I hope nobody will have to go through what I have been through. I was in a coma state for 4 months. I have lost my memory completely. I didn't know where I was, who I was, how old I was, could not recognize members of my family. It's been a year now that I have the problem and I can hardly remember this last one year.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I have hepatic encephalopathy. I was diagnosed just 3 months ago and I agree, it's the scariest disease I've ever dealt with!! Out of the clear blue, I'll get weak in my knees and leg muscles and I know I'm going to "faint"/or have a small seizure. I don't actually lose conscious, I'm aware of my surroundings, but it can happen anytime, anywhere. Fortunately, so far, I can sense them coming and can, for the most part, stay at home. But I've had problems driving; I get so sleepy my eyes won't stay open; I'm really scared I'll hurt someone. The medicine, Lactulose, makes me so self-conscious; I'm almost home-bound. The gas and diarrhea are miserable. When first diagnosed, my doctors didn't believe me when I told them I wasn't an alcoholic!! I do have liver disease, so a biopsy is planned. I was in medicine for 25 years & I had never heard of this horrible disease. I try to do keep writing or playing games on my computer to try & keep my mind as straight as I can. No one has told me yet, but I'm waiting for the "bad" news after this next round of tests. Thanks for reading this-I just had to vent somewhere.

Comment from: Frantic, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I was recently diagnosed with Encephalopathy. My Neurologist believes it is from medications. He said he doesn't prescribe Nortriptyline to patients over 50. He didn't seem sure that that was the medication that caused it. I switched medications and am concerned that I should go off all medications. Has anyone else out there gotten Encephalopathy from medications? I'd be interested in talking to you-anonymously, of course. Thank you.

Encephalopathy - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of encephalopathy in you or someone you know?
Encephalopathy - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests and exams led to the diagnosis of encephalopathy in you, a friend, or relative?
Encephalopathy - Prognosis Question: What is the outlook for a patient you know who had encephalopathy?