Patient Comments: Encephalopathy - Type of Encephalopathy

Question:From what type of encephalopathy did you suffer?

Comment from: cookie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

At age 69 I became ill with a fever of 101-102 and flu-like symptoms. The fever went away and 2 days later I was dizzy started vomiting. My family called an ambulance. I remember the ambulance ride but nothing else for the month of July. I was in the ICU 2 weeks and a step down unit another 12 days. I went to an inpatient rehab to learn to walk again, then on to an occupational physical therapist. The physical therapist diagnosed meningitis with encephalophy. The medical team thinks I contacted the infection from mosquito. I live on the Bay in Gulf Shores AL. I am a retired nurse. It's the scariest thing I have ever been through. I still have periods of dizziness and ataxia. I'm lucky to be alive. I have started CoQ10 and probiotics on my own.

Comment from: Jodi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

After reading al your information although I am grateful am not alone am so very sad that you share my misfortune. Mine began at 44 after chemical exposure neurotoxins at work and continued as nobody took the stand they promised. I have suffered so much memory loss, cognitive defects, hearing loss, brain atrophy, migraines, sleep issues, and weight loss.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I have Hashimoto's encephalopathy. It is treated with steroids, specifically prednisone or, in my case, Medrol. ( Few encephalopathies are treatable.) It is one of the lesser-known encephalopathies. It is related to Hashimoto's thyroiditis in that the thyroid antibodies attack the neurons of the brain. I thought I was developing dementia. The main symptom at first is short-term memory loss. There can be stroke-like symptoms, tremors, confusion, walking problems, and seizures to name a few. I could have ended up in a nursing home...and maybe some people without more knowledgeable doctors have. Thankfully, I was diagnosed early and treated by a good doctor. I was able to return to work.

Comment from: sharon2065, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 06

My sister is 65 years old and is hospitalized in an ICU unit in Houston with the diagnosis of encephalopathy. She went from normal activity to confusion to coma in a relatively short time. She is completely unresponsive. The doctors have run all the tests and so far are unable to find the reason for the encephalopathy. Her prognosis is very poor because it is thought that she has had an MI and CVA; she is positive for pneumonia. This is a very confusing disease process.

Comment from: concerned mommy, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 06

My son is 5 years old, he has just been told he has encephalopathy, but it says unspecified. We wonder what type it is. He has mood swings, very irritable at times, high anxiety, nervous, tremors, sensory integration disorder, separation anxiety disorder, speech problems, and learning disabilities.

Comment from: adamsj74, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 13

I am 37 who suffers with hepatic encephalopathy every day and I to get frustrated with myself sometimes so much to say I wish I could check out but we got to raise awareness and get support groups through Facebook and twitter build from each other strength just a few suggestions I had.

Comment from: rpg.inc, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 29

My father has been diagnosed with hepatic encephalopathy, peripheral neuropathy, and osteoarthritis on his knees. He's only 67 and it is believed to be his alcoholism that caused this condition. The doctor has started him on hospice but I have hope he can get better. He is cognizant and speaks, although repeats his phrases quite a bit. Is there any therapy out there that can help? He eats well but it is getting more difficult to move around and he's lost bowel control. Need better advice than hospice. Can anyone help?

Encephalopathy - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of encephalopathy in you or someone you know?
Encephalopathy - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests and exams led to the diagnosis of encephalopathy in you, a friend, or relative?
Encephalopathy - Prognosis Question: What is the outlook for a patient you know who had encephalopathy?