Patient Comments: Encephalitis And Meningitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your encephalitis and/or meningitis?

Comment from: swf, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I was diagnosed with viral meningitis when I was a senior in college at age 22. I went to bed with a sore scratchy throat, and when I woke up the next morning my neck was very sore. It continued to get sorer and stiffer so fast that by the time I got myself dressed and was driving to health services, I could no longer turn my neck and needed to actually turn my whole body in order to check for traffic at intersections. I barely made it to health services because my neck and head were in so much pain, and I was rapidly developing a high fever. They immediately took some blood and had me ambulanced over to the hospital because they highly suspected meningitis. This was confirmed by a spinal tap at the hospital. I was in the hospital for a week. If you suspect that you have meningitis, please do not make the mistake of trying to drive yourself to get checked out. My symptoms worsened so rapidly, and I was lucky to have made it to health services without getting in a car accident.

Comment from: momof3, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I developed "chemical" meningitis after brain surgery (it's non-infectious). Some of the blood I lost during surgery got into my brain and spinal cord and caused inflammation of my brain and nerve roots of my spinal cord. I ended up with a high fever, headache, nausea, difficulty with vision and hearing, brain swelling, and dizziness. I also began having severe leg pain and difficulty walking. Steroids have helped my brain swelling but so far I am still having difficulty walking 12 days after my surgery.

Comment from: frenchboy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I awoke at 3 am with a terrific fever. The bedding was saturated with sweat. I was very confused and couldn't hold a conversation. I was violently sick, constantly for three whole days. Vomit looked like cooked coffee grains. I wandered about in a confused state. Holding my neck up was very painful. Almost at a point of collapse. Seizures began a few days later, sometimes one following another, and appeared, so I'm told that I looked dead and hardly had a pulse. Since then my memory is poor and my character has changed. I get easily agitated and aggressive, which was not me. I have always been a quiet and passive person.

Encephalitis and Meningitis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your encephalitis and meningitis?
Meningitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with meningitis.
Encephalitis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your encephalitis?