Patient Comments: Electromyogram - Experience

Please describe your experience receiving an electromyogram.

Comment from: Barb, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I had an electromyogram test 11 days ago. The test was not bad but I have more pain today than I have ever had in my life. I can't rest at night, can barely walk and am in constant pain somewhere in my body 24/7. The test was done in my legs and back. The neurologist said I have pinched nerves in both areas. I was fine when I left the office after the test. The pain gets progressively worse.

Comment from: Sue, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I had an electromyogram (EMG) today. I hope to goodness I never have to do another one. It wasn't so much the poking of the needle but the moving it around and having to flex the muscle while the needle was in there that was excruciating. I think the jaw and tongue were the worst. I am just hoping I get some kind of answers after that horrific ordeal.

Comment from: grouch, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I have had electromyogram (EMG) twice and will never do it again. An EMG is one of the most sadistic medical tests I have yet experienced. It was like being stabbed with an electric cattle prod.

Comment from: Honest, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

Please read this before you go for your electromyogram visit. I read all the posts here and went in almost shaking, anticipating a lot of pain because my tolerance is low. I did the nerve test and it was no different than the TENS machine when you do physiotherapy, a mild electric current. I also did the EMG and it was the same or less than the pinch from an acupuncture treatment. There was no pain! My doctor was very good and talked with me throughout the test and explained all. I know we are all different and some might have existing conditions that renders this test somewhat painful but I have arthritis and am very sensitive and it went well for me. I truly hope this helps you.

Comment from: Traci3_1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I had an electromyogram and nerve conduction study done today. The needles going in was no problem, I didn't feel it. The small shocks in my arms and legs were reasonable, a little bit like being tasered. But it was the one he did on the side of my neck; it was like torture, like pulling finger nails out. He did one lot of 10 pulses where my body was practically jumping to the roof, followed by a 30 second break then another ten pulses which was like a jack hammer going off in my head, then we waited 1 minute and he said one final lot of ten, we got to three and I was screaming, tears running down my face and he stopped it saying if I wasn't going to cooperate we wouldn't get the right result. Oh my goodness, I cooperated as best I could. It is 11 hours post the test now and I still have a thumping headache, every tooth in my mouth is aching and I have tingling in the right hand and foot. That cannot be right!

Comment from: Mike, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

My doctor suggested an electromyogram (EMG) test. Being a type 1 diabetic, I suffer from nerve pain constantly. Just recently my right shoulder actually feels like it's on fire. It gets cold and fingers get numb.

Comment from: Donna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I had an electromyogram on my legs yesterday. The neurologist prescribed one 0.5 Xanax for anxiety. I did not take it. Shocks were quick, once in a while a foot jerked but not painful. It feels like a TENS machine. Regarding the needles, I did not feel at all, except when targeting those painful muscle areas. My neurologist kept me preoccupied with conversation about our love of cooking. Overall, a painful experience was highly overrated. No bruising, no swelling, no bleeding. And may I add I take Plavix and had no reaction whatsoever!

Electromyogram - Diagnosis Question: Have you received an electromyogram? Did it diagnose your condition, and if so, what was causing your muscle weakness?