Patient Comments: Electromyogram - Experience

Please describe your experience receiving an electromyogram.

Comment from: eloh, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I just had the electromyogram (EMG) test on my left hand, arm and shoulder. I don"t think that I have a high pain tolerance, but I felt that this test was mildly unpleasant at worst. I was very nervous about the test and felt a bit silly to have been so worried. It could have been that the doctor was so proficient and pleasant, there was no technician in sight.

Comment from: wsemmerich, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I had electromyogram (EMG) test on 3/27/2014. I have neuropathy in my feet, no problem with the test. When the technician did an arm, I suspect that the pacemaker in my shoulder was disturbed by the electrical pulses. I fainted and the technician said that my lips looked ash-grey, so she terminated the test. I recovered within minutes. Obviously, they did not pay attention when I told them about the pace maker before the test.

Comment from: cdn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I had an EMG (electromyogram) nerve conduction study on January 29 2014. It was the worst pain I have ever had to go through. I feel like I am in more pain now than I was before. If you"re going to have one, definitely take some pain medications before to help with the pain and make sure an experienced technician or doctor is performing the test.

Comment from: Cassie2u, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I just had an electromyogram (EMG) today for left sided pain from neck down to fingers. It was exactly like someone else said "torture". I will never have one again; couldn"t even finish. If the shocks weren"t bad enough, having needles stuck in your arm and then being told to bend it while they swirl it around the nerve. Insane! Then when she got to my neck, I wanted to die. Having children was much easier. When she stuck the first needle in my back, I couldn"t handle anymore. She asked if I wanted to stop. Yes! Never would I ever do that again. I am still sore. I just hope she can get enough to give me results of this pain I"ve had for two years in my shoulder/AC joint.

Comment from: bellagramma, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 31

On 1/28/14 I had an EMG (electromyogram) for neuropathy of lower extremities, my feet are numb and they tingle at times. It seems as though the needles inflamed the nerves, I have a burning sensation and pain in my legs. It made my symptoms worse than before the test.

Comment from: ahmed, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I've had electromyogram (EMG) ten years back. The result was myopathy in my muscles that wasn't neuromuscular and the myopathy was higher in my lower limbs.

Comment from: DF1746, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I had this electromyogram test today and it was not that bad. It felt like a rubber band snap, not painful at all. The needle part I did not feel, easy test, honest.

Comment from: Di, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I just had the electromyogram (EMG). It was not so bad. I expected some pain but what there was, was quick and tolerable. The results answered our questions so I am happy to have had it done.

Comment from: lynn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had gone in to have this electromyogram done yesterday on my legs and feet and I will admit that I was very nervous. The shock part wasn't that bad, and when the neurologist came in to do the needle part he had said that the shock part didn't look that bad. So I asked him what the point was to have this needle test if the shock test didn't look so bad and he said that they go together, so I said ok I'm ready then and he said he had already stuck 2 needles in and I did not even feel them at all, so it is really nothing to be worried about. So I am not worried at all about going in for the upper EMG in 2 weeks and am thankful that this test gave me an accurate diagnosis.

Neurology - Diagnosis Question: Have you received an electromyogram? Did it diagnose your condition, and if so, what was causing your muscle weakness?