Patient Comments: Electromyogram - Experience

Please describe your experience receiving an electromyogram.

Comment from: Hater, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 17

I had an electromyogram (EMG) today. Pure Torture! It was necessary due to a knee injury. The needles hurt! The shock waves were not bad. The test ended with needles in my middle back on each side of my spine. Oh my goodness, never again! I actually cried! Five hours later my back really hurts. If anyone is going to have this done, get specific answers about what you will experience with this test, and you want to take something for pain prior to your test. I was not told correctly about what I was going to experience.

Comment from: eloh, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I just had the electromyogram (EMG) test on my left hand, arm and shoulder. I don"t think that I have a high pain tolerance, but I felt that this test was mildly unpleasant at worst. I was very nervous about the test and felt a bit silly to have been so worried. It could have been that the doctor was so proficient and pleasant, there was no technician in sight.

Comment from: wsemmerich, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I had electromyogram (EMG) test on 3/27/2014. I have neuropathy in my feet, no problem with the test. When the technician did an arm, I suspect that the pacemaker in my shoulder was disturbed by the electrical pulses. I fainted and the technician said that my lips looked ash-grey, so she terminated the test. I recovered within minutes. Obviously, they did not pay attention when I told them about the pace maker before the test.

Comment from: cdn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I had an EMG (electromyogram) nerve conduction study on January 29 2014. It was the worst pain I have ever had to go through. I feel like I am in more pain now than I was before. If you"re going to have one, definitely take some pain medications before to help with the pain and make sure an experienced technician or doctor is performing the test.

Comment from: Cassie2u, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I just had an electromyogram (EMG) today for left sided pain from neck down to fingers. It was exactly like someone else said "torture". I will never have one again; couldn"t even finish. If the shocks weren"t bad enough, having needles stuck in your arm and then being told to bend it while they swirl it around the nerve. Insane! Then when she got to my neck, I wanted to die. Having children was much easier. When she stuck the first needle in my back, I couldn"t handle anymore. She asked if I wanted to stop. Yes! Never would I ever do that again. I am still sore. I just hope she can get enough to give me results of this pain I"ve had for two years in my shoulder/AC joint.

Comment from: ahmed, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I've had electromyogram (EMG) ten years back. The result was myopathy in my muscles that wasn't neuromuscular and the myopathy was higher in my lower limbs.

Comment from: DF1746, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I had this electromyogram test today and it was not that bad. It felt like a rubber band snap, not painful at all. The needle part I did not feel, easy test, honest.

Comment from: bellagramma, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 31

On 1/28/14 I had an EMG (electromyogram) for neuropathy of lower extremities, my feet are numb and they tingle at times. It seems as though the needles inflamed the nerves, I have a burning sensation and pain in my legs. It made my symptoms worse than before the test.

Neurology - Diagnosis Question: Have you received an electromyogram? Did it diagnose your condition, and if so, what was causing your muscle weakness?