Patient Comments: Electromyogram - Experience

Please describe your experience receiving an electromyogram.

Comment from: cncxman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I got injured by stepping on a plastic chain with my left heel going forwards and my left leg staying put, this caused me to do the splits and falling on my back. The doctor sent me to do an electromyogram (EMG). I went to my appointment without knowing what an EMG is. I do know now. It is a series of electrical shots on various part of my leg increasing in intensity. It started feeling like small pricks to a full size torture shot lasting about 1/2 a second. This was very painful to me and I screamed every time she did the third or fourth intensity levels. It was repeated on about 5 areas of my leg. Once she finished, the doctor inserted what felt like a needle with an electric shock but this did not hurt as much. I was glad when it was over. Pain level was 9 out of 10.

Comment from: Hater, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 17

I had an electromyogram (EMG) today. Pure Torture! It was necessary due to a knee injury. The needles hurt! The shock waves were not bad. The test ended with needles in my middle back on each side of my spine. Oh my goodness, never again! I actually cried! Five hours later my back really hurts. If anyone is going to have this done, get specific answers about what you will experience with this test, and you want to take something for pain prior to your test. I was not told correctly about what I was going to experience.

Comment from: eloh, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I just had the electromyogram (EMG) test on my left hand, arm and shoulder. I don"t think that I have a high pain tolerance, but I felt that this test was mildly unpleasant at worst. I was very nervous about the test and felt a bit silly to have been so worried. It could have been that the doctor was so proficient and pleasant, there was no technician in sight.

Comment from: wsemmerich, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I had electromyogram (EMG) test on 3/27/2014. I have neuropathy in my feet, no problem with the test. When the technician did an arm, I suspect that the pacemaker in my shoulder was disturbed by the electrical pulses. I fainted and the technician said that my lips looked ash-grey, so she terminated the test. I recovered within minutes. Obviously, they did not pay attention when I told them about the pace maker before the test.

Comment from: cdn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I had an EMG (electromyogram) nerve conduction study on January 29 2014. It was the worst pain I have ever had to go through. I feel like I am in more pain now than I was before. If you"re going to have one, definitely take some pain medications before to help with the pain and make sure an experienced technician or doctor is performing the test.

Comment from: Maria, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I got this done today. Electromyogram (EMG) is torture! On top of going through this the doctor still doesn"t know what's wrong.

Comment from: NeverAgain, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I had an electromyogram (EMG) done on my legs and back. It was horrendous pain. I was also not told about what to expect at all. I will never have one of these tests done again. I told my wife that she can push me around drooling in a wheelchair but never again... and to think that I paid for this torture. I may sound trite but I am dead serious; this was extremely painful.

Comment from: ahmed, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I've had electromyogram (EMG) ten years back. The result was myopathy in my muscles that wasn't neuromuscular and the myopathy was higher in my lower limbs.

Electromyogram - Diagnosis Question: Have you received an electromyogram? Did it diagnose your condition, and if so, what was causing your muscle weakness?