Patient Comments: Electromyogram - Experience

Please describe your experience receiving an electromyogram.

Comment from: jaja1344, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I had my EMG test done earlier today and the only problem I see is the black&blue marks that the needle has left on my arm. The pain is like getting a shot.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I've had 2 of these tests done and they sting. I found out why I didn't have as much muscle strength and was diagnoised with chronic L5 radioculpathy. I still have pain in my hip which I'm told is bursitis as well. At least I know why I don't have as much strength anymore. I had back surgery 5 years ago but the first EMG I got was way before that and it just has gotten worse over time. The exam is quick and only takes about 10 minutes.

Comment from: labbie48, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 21

Had both NCV and EMG done on my hands 3 weeks ago by a neurologist and neither was painful at all. The shocks were minimal and the needles felt like pin pricks. I have to admit that I do have a very high tolerance for pain but it also depends on the skill of the neurologist. Needless to say I have CTS in both hands and being that the left is the worst, I'll be be having surgery on that one. The surgery is scheduled for the 28th of June.

Comment from: Judy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

Well, I'm very glad this test is over! The electrical current shooting in my hand and arm was awful, but the needles they stuck in me were the worst! The doctor told me the test was going to be "unpleasant" but that is an understatement. I knew I had carpal tunnel syndrome before they put me through hell to confirm it.

Comment from: jim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

I had an electromyogram done on my hand in March and my hand is giving me throbbing pain. It hurts to move it and every morning it is numb.

Comment from: nj/ny patient, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I had EMG's done on both arms and both legs in 2005 by a physiatrist in NYC. Last night, I had EMG's done by an NYC neurologist on both legs, both feet and one arm. I had no pain or bleeding either time. I am tired today, but not sore. I had to take a subway, walk several blocks, and take an hour-long ferry ride to get home after the test. I was fine. Ask around. Find an experienced doctor. An EMG does not have to be a terrible experience.

Comment from: firegirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

Oh my, I just received my referral letter to go for my Electromyogram Test in July, now I am nervous about having this done. I was not aware that this was going to be so painful, I still will have it done, but am glad for the honesty of the people who have had it done and say that yes, it is painful, very painful. At least I am aware of that, and can prepare for it mentally. Will let you know my experience after the test.

Comment from: pjwj79, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 28

My son is one hour post EMG, a big tough kid who plays hockey games with broken ribs, etc- you get the idea of his pain tolerance. He said the process was VERY painful, and he had a lot of bleeding at the needle insertion sites. Now-especially his calves are so tight that he can hardly walk. He has to go to baseball practice today, to get 10 practices in before the first game, but I will be calling the coach and telling him that his mobility will be limited.

Comment from: Hope of pain free, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I have had both test done three different times for cervical and lumbar issues. Which means it was numerous shocks and needles in arms and legs. It all depends on who is administering the test. First one was extremely and tearfully painful. I also said it would never happen again. The second and third was painful, but tolerable.

Electromyogram - Diagnosis Question: Have you received an electromyogram? Did it diagnose your condition, and if so, what was causing your muscle weakness?