Patient Comments: Electromyogram - Experience

Please describe your experience receiving an electromyogram.

Comment from: disgruntled patient, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I just had an EMG done yesterday and it seemed like there were issues on how to do it. I have had it done before with no pain on the shock or the needle. The needle did not hurt, once I did not feel it at all. The shock of electric or whatever, hurt real bad. My leg would jump and it seem like she had turned it up or something and it was severely painful. Today I can't move hardly and it jolted me to the point where it increased the pain in my back. She had done it in my right foot/leg for headaches.

Comment from: surprised, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I had an EMG done this week on both my hands. The first part of the test did not hurt at all with the electrical charges, however that was not the case when the test progressed with the needles. The insertion of the needle was nothing, but when they wiggled it around and pressed on your hands and got me to move your fingers it hurt much more than I was expecting. As well, my arms were in intense pain for an hour after and my hands are still sore 2 days later.

Comment from: merrybeth, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I went for an electromyogram test three weeks ago. I have 5 ruptured discs with nerve damage. I usually have an EMG every year to make sure that my back and legs are not getting worse. They have not bothered me until this time. I have been on bed rest for three weeks. I used a cane, but now I use a walker. The muscles in my leg are so tight that I cannot put my foot all the way down to walk. I go to a pain clinic and they give me a shot of medicine to relieve the pain and cramps and that did not help. They try to rub the muscles to relax them, but they tighten right back up. If you are thinking of having one please think carefully before deciding to get one.

Comment from: Pcarlisle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I just had an electromyogram test done today. I have some pain right now, my inner right arm is the worst of it. I now have a huge knot and it is hurting quite badly. I had the other test done too! I was told both tests were normal, yet my right arm was not affected by either test except for the knot I now have. I felt terrible pain in my left arm with both tests. I had a terrible headache and neckache during the tests.

Comment from: Karenlu, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I found it horribly painful. I actually felt like I was being tortured. I also have fibromyalgia which causes me to feel pain more acutely. The test was used to determine if I had carpal tunnel syndrome, which I did at the moderately severe level.

Comment from: horsegirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I had a NCS and EMG yesterday on both hands and only one leg, as the Dr. decided I had been through enough for one day and didn't do the second leg. The shocks were tolerable, but not pleasant. The needles on the other hand were very painful. Today my hands are okay, but the leg is very achy and sore. I don't want to do it again.

Comment from: stilltwitching, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 11

EMG on both hands and arms today. I thought I was prepared, but this was quite honestly the most hell I've ever been through, and I was in the Army Airborne! I don't say this to frighten people, but prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Comment from: rainbow, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

Just had my electromyogram this afternoon. I found it extremely painful when the shocks were delivered through the needles at a higher and higher level, but it was bearable and when he increased it so much I squealed and jumped, he lowered the shock level. The needle sites bled a little and my muscles are very sore but I've been through worse!

Electromyogram - Diagnosis Question: Have you received an electromyogram? Did it diagnose your condition, and if so, what was causing your muscle weakness?