Patient Comments: Electromyogram - Experience

Please describe your experience receiving an electromyogram.

Comment from: Inge, Female (Patient) Published: April 21

This electromyogram test is barbaric! I never made it past level 5. I told the resident doctor administering the test to stop because if she did it one more time, I was going to punch her. I will never agree to do one of those ever again.

Comment from: Whyer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

My left arm was tested with an electromyogram on 1/21/15. Pain is about the same as getting a blood test. Nothing to get excited about.

Comment from: pat, 45-54 (Patient) Published: December 24

The electromyogram was not painful at all. It is almost like acupuncture.

Comment from: Ow!, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

My electromyogram (EMG) was so horribly painful I made them stop in the middle and refused to finish. I was in tears.

Comment from: Maria, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I got this done today. Electromyogram (EMG) is torture! On top of going through this the doctor still doesn"t know what's wrong.

Comment from: NeverAgain, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I had an electromyogram (EMG) done on my legs and back. It was horrendous pain. I was also not told about what to expect at all. I will never have one of these tests done again. I told my wife that she can push me around drooling in a wheelchair but never again... and to think that I paid for this torture. I may sound trite but I am dead serious; this was extremely painful.

Comment from: Di, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I just had the electromyogram (EMG). It was not so bad. I expected some pain but what there was, was quick and tolerable. The results answered our questions so I am happy to have had it done.

Comment from: sj, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

The electromyogram (EMG) was not that bad. The shocks were tolerable and the needle part was easy - most of the time I did not even feel the needles go in.

Comment from: Molly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I experienced an electromyogram. It was painful though not unbearable, which is what the doctor said at the beginning of the test. A couple of the needles hurt really badly. But I used deep breathing to keep calm. I was having the test to determine why I had so much pain and weakness in my muscles and to see if it related to a fall I had a year ago. It did give very useful information.

Comment from: Pete, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

I was afraid this was going to be a painful test, but as medical procedures go I found it pretty easy. It helped, I think, that I know the neurologist well and we were having a pleasant conversation throughout the test. A nerve velocity study was done over my entire right side, with about 20 tests done. The resident helping warned I might find them unpleasant due to heavy musculature on my arms. A first I found the electric shocks unpleasant - joking that it reminded me of touching an electric fence, but after I got use to the shocks and realized they weren't doing any harm, I found them amusing and not painful at all. I think the pain is more a perception that something is strange rather than a real pain. The EMG needle test was done only on my leg and buttocks. I couldn't even feel the needles, and only a mild cramping when they had to move the needles about. Again, really not unpleasant as medical tests go.

Electromyogram - Diagnosis Question: Have you received an electromyogram? Did it diagnose your condition, and if so, what was causing your muscle weakness?