Patient Comments: Electromyogram - Experience

Please describe your experience receiving an electromyogram.

Comment from: Brooklyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

After reading some of the horror stories I was very nervous about getting an electromyogram. It was not painful at all; I was a little sore afterwards but took some Aleve and was fine.

Comment from: Southpaw, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

Just had test done yesterday, it was the most painful test I have ever been through and I had 2 all natural deliveries. I will never have this test again. The test was performed on my left arm. The shock test brought me up off the table. They had to stop needle test, too painful. After inserting needle, the doctor would move it around. I usually have high tolerance for pain but this test did me in. Now on to the MRI, doctor did discover pinch nerve at C-7. Hopefully something soon can be done, 7 weeks of severe arm pain.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I had both tests done on my legs and feet this morning - NCV and EMG. Neither one was a "walk in the park" but they certainly were not nearly as bad as I had anticipated. I'm feeling just fine and looking forward to an afternoon of shopping!

Comment from: Guinn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I had an EMG last week, and there was very little pain. Of course I felt when the needles went in, but it was no worse than getting a shot. The electrical shocks didn't bother me at all, they were very small.

Comment from: lhill42, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I had my EMG yesterday. It was painful, but bearable. Still sore today, and I anticipate being sore for a few days.

Comment from: mb 102, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 16

I just had my second EMG done it was as I remembered it from a few years ago- extremely painful (and I had taken pain medication prior to the exam). The neurologist actually ended the test early because of the amount of pain I was in.

Comment from: BarbFaulk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I had an electromyogram test done a few hours ago on my feet (both). The doctor only had to stick me 3 times in each leg. These were not even noticeable. The 4th set was bad and he warned me. They poke the side of your foot. I do have 2 small bruises, 1 on each foot from the last stick. If you take Tylenol after they finish the pain is gone 10 minutes afterward. Then the doctor gave me the results. If you need to have an EMG done don't worry. It's not that bad.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

Due to an injury-related, multi-car accident, I was having bad pain in my lower back on the right side. It was discovered that I had a herniated disc after the MRI and X-rays. I was initially to go and have the electromyogram prior to the steroid Injection, but had conflicting appointments. I had the electromyogram procedure done today and it was over before I knew it. I was numbed with a spray that took less than five minutes to numb and then they placed the small needle and it was like a small sharp pricks and short shocks that were increased gradually. Nothing to it at all!

Comment from: alioop, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I didn't feel a thing from either the EMG (needles) or nerve conductivity tests (electric shocks) of my electromyogram test. This is bad news as there is extensive nerve damage. So really if it is painful thank your lucky stars. The pain you go through is real, but temporary. I appreciate that, but at least it demonstrates that your nerves are reacting like they should.

Electromyogram - Diagnosis Question: Have you received an electromyogram? Did it diagnose your condition, and if so, what was causing your muscle weakness?