Patient Comments: Electromyogram - Experience

Please describe your experience receiving an electromyogram.

Comment from: Guinn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I had an EMG last week, and there was very little pain. Of course I felt when the needles went in, but it was no worse than getting a shot. The electrical shocks didn't bother me at all, they were very small.

Comment from: lhill42, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I had my EMG yesterday. It was painful, but bearable. Still sore today, and I anticipate being sore for a few days.

Comment from: mb 102, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 16

I just had my second EMG done it was as I remembered it from a few years ago- extremely painful (and I had taken pain medication prior to the exam). The neurologist actually ended the test early because of the amount of pain I was in.

Comment from: BarbFaulk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I had an electromyogram test done a few hours ago on my feet (both). The doctor only had to stick me 3 times in each leg. These were not even noticeable. The 4th set was bad and he warned me. They poke the side of your foot. I do have 2 small bruises, 1 on each foot from the last stick. If you take Tylenol after they finish the pain is gone 10 minutes afterward. Then the doctor gave me the results. If you need to have an EMG done don't worry. It's not that bad.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

Due to an injury-related, multi-car accident, I was having bad pain in my lower back on the right side. It was discovered that I had a herniated disc after the MRI and X-rays. I was initially to go and have the electromyogram prior to the steroid Injection, but had conflicting appointments. I had the electromyogram procedure done today and it was over before I knew it. I was numbed with a spray that took less than five minutes to numb and then they placed the small needle and it was like a small sharp pricks and short shocks that were increased gradually. Nothing to it at all!

Comment from: alioop, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I didn't feel a thing from either the EMG (needles) or nerve conductivity tests (electric shocks) of my electromyogram test. This is bad news as there is extensive nerve damage. So really if it is painful thank your lucky stars. The pain you go through is real, but temporary. I appreciate that, but at least it demonstrates that your nerves are reacting like they should.

Comment from: disgruntled patient, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I just had an EMG done yesterday and it seemed like there were issues on how to do it. I have had it done before with no pain on the shock or the needle. The needle did not hurt, once I did not feel it at all. The shock of electric or whatever, hurt real bad. My leg would jump and it seem like she had turned it up or something and it was severely painful. Today I can't move hardly and it jolted me to the point where it increased the pain in my back. She had done it in my right foot/leg for headaches.

Comment from: surprised, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I had an EMG done this week on both my hands. The first part of the test did not hurt at all with the electrical charges, however that was not the case when the test progressed with the needles. The insertion of the needle was nothing, but when they wiggled it around and pressed on your hands and got me to move your fingers it hurt much more than I was expecting. As well, my arms were in intense pain for an hour after and my hands are still sore 2 days later.

Comment from: merrybeth, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I went for an electromyogram test three weeks ago. I have 5 ruptured discs with nerve damage. I usually have an EMG every year to make sure that my back and legs are not getting worse. They have not bothered me until this time. I have been on bed rest for three weeks. I used a cane, but now I use a walker. The muscles in my leg are so tight that I cannot put my foot all the way down to walk. I go to a pain clinic and they give me a shot of medicine to relieve the pain and cramps and that did not help. They try to rub the muscles to relax them, but they tighten right back up. If you are thinking of having one please think carefully before deciding to get one.

Neurology - Diagnosis Question: Have you received an electromyogram? Did it diagnose your condition, and if so, what was causing your muscle weakness?