Patient Comments: Electromyogram - Experience

Please describe your experience receiving an electromyogram.

Comment from: momof1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I had an EMG done on my entire right side. It was a very painful and frustrating test. Not sure why no one can figure out a better way to give this test. Bad news was I did end up with a deficit on the right side.

Comment from: checotahkid, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

I was informed today that I am going to need an EMG. I have three neck fractures. The first fracture was the c-3 and c-4 , the second fracture was the c-2 and c-3 , the 3rd fracture was the c-5 and c-6. I have myleograms, cervical disco-grams, four neck surgeries, and a halo. For the life of me, I do not believe I have ever had a EMG. This will be my maiden, I believe. I am plated from the c-3 - c-7.

Comment from: littlelaura, Female Published: September 12

I had an EMG yesterday. Yes, it does take some time but I barely felt any pain at all. The results were not normal so I don't know if that means anything or not but don't be afraid to do this test. It's a breeze.

Comment from: Mary J., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

Well, I guess it depends on your pain tolerance. I had one today from my waist to my foot and while it was somewhat unpleasant, it was not unbearable. I won't lie and say I wasn't happy when it was over but I have been in worse pain. I have had two of these tests done prior to this one so it isn't an enigma that it didn't hurt that badly, none of the three did. I've had two on my back and right leg and one on my right arm. It is kind of creepy though. Oh, I am sore now.

Comment from: lem, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I have had two electromyogram's about 3 to 4 years apart and almost cried when I was advised to have the second EMG, it was that painful. I also have had fibromyalgia and wonder if my pain response was abnormally intense due to that condition. If I am ever advised to have an EMG again, I think I will refuse.

Comment from: Bert, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 23

My doctor deliberately downplayed the pain involved before my first electromyogram. I asked the tech "why the hole in the wall?" Apparently a week earlier a professional football player punched the wall due to the pain involved. I personally know of three people that never made it through. Two were in tears. Problem is the test may be necessary, unfortunately, it is subjective depending on the user's ability to correctly interpret the info.

Comment from: Brooklyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

After reading some of the horror stories I was very nervous about getting an electromyogram. It was not painful at all; I was a little sore afterwards but took some Aleve and was fine.

Comment from: Southpaw, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

Just had test done yesterday, it was the most painful test I have ever been through and I had 2 all natural deliveries. I will never have this test again. The test was performed on my left arm. The shock test brought me up off the table. They had to stop needle test, too painful. After inserting needle, the doctor would move it around. I usually have high tolerance for pain but this test did me in. Now on to the MRI, doctor did discover pinch nerve at C-7. Hopefully something soon can be done, 7 weeks of severe arm pain.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I had both tests done on my legs and feet this morning - NCV and EMG. Neither one was a "walk in the park" but they certainly were not nearly as bad as I had anticipated. I'm feeling just fine and looking forward to an afternoon of shopping!

Neurology - Diagnosis Question: Have you received an electromyogram? Did it diagnose your condition, and if so, what was causing your muscle weakness?