Patient Comments: Electromyogram - Experience

Please describe your experience receiving an electromyogram.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 20

Had an electromyogram done but I have numbness on left side so it wasn't so bad. I didn't even feel it in my left arm, one area in lumbar was nerve root irritation was pain but that proved a point of having it done to find the problem. Was ok versus peace of mind of knowing I wasn't crazy but really having problems would do again. Doctor was a gentleman and was informative as we went along so maybe depends on a lot of factors of tolerance and who is performing the test.

Published: October 09

Was petrified of having this test in my legs as it was not explained well at the hospital, actually it was not explained at all. Anyway, it is supposed to be no big deal. The first test feels like a TenS unit but even less shock. The needles are like acupuncture. You basically don't feel them and if you do, the doctor can move them so it doesn't hurt, like in acupuncture. The only remaining result of this test was two very black and blue marks on my thigh and calf. It was a piece of cake.

Comment from: Richard, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 09

The EMG diagnosed my post polio syndrome. I had weakening muscles in my left calf. The EMG was confirmed on 9-11-2011. What a hell of a day for our nation!

Comment from: momof1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I had an EMG done on my entire right side. It was a very painful and frustrating test. Not sure why no one can figure out a better way to give this test. Bad news was I did end up with a deficit on the right side.

Comment from: checotahkid, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

I was informed today that I am going to need an EMG. I have three neck fractures. The first fracture was the c-3 and c-4 , the second fracture was the c-2 and c-3 , the 3rd fracture was the c-5 and c-6. I have myleograms, cervical disco-grams, four neck surgeries, and a halo. For the life of me, I do not believe I have ever had a EMG. This will be my maiden, I believe. I am plated from the c-3 - c-7.

Comment from: littlelaura, Female Published: September 12

I had an EMG yesterday. Yes, it does take some time but I barely felt any pain at all. The results were not normal so I don't know if that means anything or not but don't be afraid to do this test. It's a breeze.

Comment from: Mary J., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

Well, I guess it depends on your pain tolerance. I had one today from my waist to my foot and while it was somewhat unpleasant, it was not unbearable. I won't lie and say I wasn't happy when it was over but I have been in worse pain. I have had two of these tests done prior to this one so it isn't an enigma that it didn't hurt that badly, none of the three did. I've had two on my back and right leg and one on my right arm. It is kind of creepy though. Oh, I am sore now.

Comment from: lem, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I have had two electromyogram's about 3 to 4 years apart and almost cried when I was advised to have the second EMG, it was that painful. I also have had fibromyalgia and wonder if my pain response was abnormally intense due to that condition. If I am ever advised to have an EMG again, I think I will refuse.

Comment from: Bert, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 23

My doctor deliberately downplayed the pain involved before my first electromyogram. I asked the tech "why the hole in the wall?" Apparently a week earlier a professional football player punched the wall due to the pain involved. I personally know of three people that never made it through. Two were in tears. Problem is the test may be necessary, unfortunately, it is subjective depending on the user's ability to correctly interpret the info.

Electromyogram - Diagnosis Question: Have you received an electromyogram? Did it diagnose your condition, and if so, what was causing your muscle weakness?