Patient Comments: Electromyogram - Experience

Please describe your experience receiving an electromyogram.

Comment from: jeffreypaul, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 14

I had both electromyogram (EMG) and nerve condition study (NCS) tests done, felt like a warm massage. I didn't mind the test at all, actually I didn't feel most of it. It's strange to me how so many people felt extreme pain from the tests. It makes me think either my nerves are severely damaged or the test just didn't affect me.

Comment from: Tiffany L, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I had this electromyogram test done this morning for a bulging disc and it was nauseatingly painful. I have a high pain tolerance and I was in tears. The shocks were tolerable, but to have 9 in a row done at the highest intensity on several different spots hurt. And to have needles stuck into my leg from hip to ankle, front and back was one of the worst pains I have ever felt. I went to work after, and had to leave because I could barely walk. The bad thing, or good thing is that everything was normal. More tests now!

Comment from: JJ, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 19

I just had an electromyogram (EMG) test today (6/17/14) and believe me it is nothing to fear! I had my left arm/shoulder and neck pricked with these needles and I have had mosquito bites that were worse! Very routine and my doctor was very experienced in doing these tests. Can't explain the previous responses from those people. Don't worry about anything!

Comment from: andreal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I had an electromyogram (EMG) test, but my physician did not explain what this was. The practitioner also did not explain, but sat me in a darkened room, with what he was doing behind me somehow. He plied me with stories about his life for about 1 1/2 hours, and did not answer any direct questions regarding what he was doing. I told him it felt like he was putting long needles into me and then applying electricity. He never answered me, but continued to try to distract me from the intense pain. After it was over, he showed me his equipment. It is so wrong not to explain to a patient what is going on. The pain was excruciating (rotator cuff area), and the results were inconclusive.

Comment from: cncxman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I got injured by stepping on a plastic chain with my left heel going forwards and my left leg staying put, this caused me to do the splits and falling on my back. The doctor sent me to do an electromyogram (EMG). I went to my appointment without knowing what an EMG is. I do know now. It is a series of electrical shots on various part of my leg increasing in intensity. It started feeling like small pricks to a full size torture shot lasting about 1/2 a second. This was very painful to me and I screamed every time she did the third or fourth intensity levels. It was repeated on about 5 areas of my leg. Once she finished, the doctor inserted what felt like a needle with an electric shock but this did not hurt as much. I was glad when it was over. Pain level was 9 out of 10.

Comment from: Hater, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 17

I had an electromyogram (EMG) today. Pure Torture! It was necessary due to a knee injury. The needles hurt! The shock waves were not bad. The test ended with needles in my middle back on each side of my spine. Oh my goodness, never again! I actually cried! Five hours later my back really hurts. If anyone is going to have this done, get specific answers about what you will experience with this test, and you want to take something for pain prior to your test. I was not told correctly about what I was going to experience.

Comment from: eloh, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I just had the electromyogram (EMG) test on my left hand, arm and shoulder. I don"t think that I have a high pain tolerance, but I felt that this test was mildly unpleasant at worst. I was very nervous about the test and felt a bit silly to have been so worried. It could have been that the doctor was so proficient and pleasant, there was no technician in sight.

Comment from: wsemmerich, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I had electromyogram (EMG) test on 3/27/2014. I have neuropathy in my feet, no problem with the test. When the technician did an arm, I suspect that the pacemaker in my shoulder was disturbed by the electrical pulses. I fainted and the technician said that my lips looked ash-grey, so she terminated the test. I recovered within minutes. Obviously, they did not pay attention when I told them about the pace maker before the test.

Electromyogram - Diagnosis Question: Have you received an electromyogram? Did it diagnose your condition, and if so, what was causing your muscle weakness?