Patient Comments: Electromyogram - Experience

Please describe your experience receiving an electromyogram.

Comment from: Inpain, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I just returned home from the nerve test. The electromyogram was awful despite the nurse saying it won't hurt! The high intensity shocks shook my whole leg and hurt to the point of tears (I live with pain daily so am used to pain). I will never do it again.

Comment from: tomsthumb, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 18

I had an electromyogram (EMG) of my legs and buttocks. This is what my surgeon wanted before he performs a second back surgery on me. The test went off without a hitch. A little painful here and there but acceptable. The problem I ran into was the next day, severe joint pain ankles, knees, elbows, wrist, and fingers. Hope this goes away soon; unbearable pain.

Comment from: EMGs hurt, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Electromyograms (EMGs) are painful. I think that they must be more painful if you actually have something legitimately wrong with your nerves. The electrical impulses were rather unpleasant and even painful at some points, but the needle part was horrific. The needle itself was fine. I felt it going in and that didn't bother me, but the movement of the needle against the nerves was nearly unbearable. I had tears rolling down my face and was biting the blanket to help. The linens were soaked by the time I got up. I was in so much pain I was sweating profusely. They did my right leg and right arm. The arm was much worse than the leg; that is where I've been having my problem. I'm a person who handles pain pretty average. I had a breast augmentation (implants under the muscle), and took a total of 4 pain pills through my entire recovery process. I only add that to let you know, I'm really not a huge wuss. This one hurts! And everyone is right, plan on pain for several days after the procedure.

Comment from: ewan72403, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I had an electromyogram of my leg. The electrode part was nothing, just felt like taps or whacks. The needles going in did hurt a bit naturally but not as bad as say having skin tags frozen off. I wouldn't have this for a lark but it was not terrible.

Comment from: Ewan72403, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I had an EMG (electromyogram) and NCV (nerve conduction velocity test) this morning to check for causes of the severe pain I have been having in my knee. As far as I was concerned, the electrode part was nothing. All I felt was taps and whacks. Nothing I would call painful. The big ones are more startling. They feel like a punch in a way. The needle thing was somewhat painful. After all, they are sticking needles into muscles you are then asked to use. But I would not call it terrible by any stretch. And it was over in about 10 minutes, tops.

Comment from: Annamarie, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 19

I had an electromyogram (EMG) yesterday. The technician was great, a lovely lady with a very soothing voice. She explained everything she was doing and was gentle. Yes, I felt the successive electric shocks, but they were quite bearable. I would not dissuade anyone who requires this diagnostic tool. It isn't bad at all! Be polite and ask the technician to explain it as s/he is doing it. And keep a good, positive attitude!

Comment from: SCB778049, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I suffer from severe leg cramping, from my hips to my toes and it usually lasts two hours. I am currently having testing, the electromyogram (EMG) being one of them. I had the EMG today on my legs and back. It did not hurt at all, it was a piece of cake. This site made me very apprehensive before I had the test done, so much so that I almost cancelled the test the day before. The severe leg cramping I have is so much more painful. Don't let this site scare you. Most of the people who had positive EMGs probably did not post.

Comment from: evasher6, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

When I went for my nerve conductor/electromyogram (EMG) tests. Nerve conductor was done by tech- that went okay but, I didn't like how the doctor did my EMG tests. On most I read, the patient may be asked to contract muscles. Well, the doctor forced my foot, whereas the needle she inserted, because of the added pain, went deeper in my leg, and I had so much pain. I don't think she was supposed to force me to exert my muscles, afterwards I was suffering for quite some time. She kept asking me if I want to quit, several times; I told her no, I wanted to finish. I feel she was trying to make tests turn out better, plan for someone else to do over.

Electromyogram - Diagnosis Question: Have you received an electromyogram? Did it diagnose your condition, and if so, what was causing your muscle weakness?