Patient Comments: Electromyogram - Experience

Please describe your experience receiving an electromyogram.

Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: February 04

I had the EGM procedure done last week and I found it the most excruciating procedure that I have ever gone through.Not only did it hurt terribly when the needles went in, but was worsened by the electrical shocks that followed. I almost had the doctor stop in the middle of the procedure. However, the doctor told me that I wouldn't get the true results if I stopped the procedure. So, I finished the tests. Afterwards, my arm and neck hurt so badly and I had to go back to work. For a while, I sat in the parking lot trying to block out the pain before I drove. I wouldn't do this again. Never! Get an MRI done instead.

Published: January 02

I had this test done on my thumb where I have nerve damage. The needle stick wasn't too bad, but then the doctor moved the needle around in the muscle to find the nerve. Needless to say, it hurt quite a bit. And it continued to hurt for a week. I now have to have it done in my arm, neck and possibly in my spine. I'm not looking forward to it at all.

Comment from: herbincowboy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I had an EMG in 2008. Red flags went up when they repeatedly told me I could stop the procedure at any time. The room was full of medical students and I'm sure that the teaching prolonged the procedure. Pain does not suffice, agony is the description I would use. I refused to stop the EMG because I wanted proof that my chronic lower back pain was not in my head. My diagnosis was neuropathy and radiculopathy.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 20

Had an electromyogram done but I have numbness on left side so it wasn't so bad. I didn't even feel it in my left arm, one area in lumbar was nerve root irritation was pain but that proved a point of having it done to find the problem. Was ok versus peace of mind of knowing I wasn't crazy but really having problems would do again. Doctor was a gentleman and was informative as we went along so maybe depends on a lot of factors of tolerance and who is performing the test.

Published: October 09

Was petrified of having this test in my legs as it was not explained well at the hospital, actually it was not explained at all. Anyway, it is supposed to be no big deal. The first test feels like a TenS unit but even less shock. The needles are like acupuncture. You basically don't feel them and if you do, the doctor can move them so it doesn't hurt, like in acupuncture. The only remaining result of this test was two very black and blue marks on my thigh and calf. It was a piece of cake.

Comment from: Richard, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 09

The EMG diagnosed my post polio syndrome. I had weakening muscles in my left calf. The EMG was confirmed on 9-11-2011. What a hell of a day for our nation!

Comment from: momof1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I had an EMG done on my entire right side. It was a very painful and frustrating test. Not sure why no one can figure out a better way to give this test. Bad news was I did end up with a deficit on the right side.

Comment from: checotahkid, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

I was informed today that I am going to need an EMG. I have three neck fractures. The first fracture was the c-3 and c-4 , the second fracture was the c-2 and c-3 , the 3rd fracture was the c-5 and c-6. I have myleograms, cervical disco-grams, four neck surgeries, and a halo. For the life of me, I do not believe I have ever had a EMG. This will be my maiden, I believe. I am plated from the c-3 - c-7.

Neurology - Diagnosis Question: Have you received an electromyogram? Did it diagnose your condition, and if so, what was causing your muscle weakness?