Patient Comments: Electromyogram - Experience

Please describe your experience receiving an electromyogram.

Comment from: Mermaid51, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I received an electromyogram on both hands and arms. It was relatively quick and relatively non-painful.

Comment from: md, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I've had an electromyogram at least 6 times. The electrical shocks, though not harmful, really get set me on edge. The needle part is a piece of cake.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I had the needle test done in 2009. It was one of the most painful things I've ever gone through. I was stuck with a needle countless times from my wrists to my ankles. When the test was over I was even bleeding in a few areas. That's one test I'm not willing to ever have again!

Comment from: grandma16, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

Had an EMG and Nerve Conductor test this morning on both legs. I was really dreading it, but the nerve test was only slightly painful at times and the EMG was not bad at all except for a quick pain on just one of the first injections. Other than than I didn't even know when he put the needle in. Would not be apprehensive to have it done again.

Comment from: Audra, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had an EMG and NCV done a week ago after being referred by my hand specialist who thinks I have anterior interosseous nerve (AIN) palsy. The doctor spent the first 10 minutes looking through textbooks, then she kept the books at the end of the table while conducting the test, referring to them often. This was painful for me and I have a high pain tolerance. She continually had to move the needle to get to the nerve (it is very deep) and the shocks while it was touching the nerve were quite painful. This test is highly dependent on how skilled the doctor is at performing it. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed by this doctor.

Comment from: jorgie2012@optonline, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had an EMG done last week. It was a little painful, but that night was the worst. The pain woke me up out of a sound sleep at 3 a.m. and I could not go back to sleep. An MRI showed herniated discs – C2-C7, and pressure on the spinal cord at C5 and C6. I'm still numb in my hand and can't hold on to anything. I see the doctor tomorrow for results of the EMG but was told it looked OK by the doctor who did it. I can't stand the numbness and neck pain anymore – it's been going on since February.

Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: February 04

I had the EGM procedure done last week and I found it the most excruciating procedure that I have ever gone through.Not only did it hurt terribly when the needles went in, but was worsened by the electrical shocks that followed. I almost had the doctor stop in the middle of the procedure. However, the doctor told me that I wouldn't get the true results if I stopped the procedure. So, I finished the tests. Afterwards, my arm and neck hurt so badly and I had to go back to work. For a while, I sat in the parking lot trying to block out the pain before I drove. I wouldn't do this again. Never! Get an MRI done instead.

Published: January 02

I had this test done on my thumb where I have nerve damage. The needle stick wasn't too bad, but then the doctor moved the needle around in the muscle to find the nerve. Needless to say, it hurt quite a bit. And it continued to hurt for a week. I now have to have it done in my arm, neck and possibly in my spine. I'm not looking forward to it at all.

Comment from: herbincowboy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I had an EMG in 2008. Red flags went up when they repeatedly told me I could stop the procedure at any time. The room was full of medical students and I'm sure that the teaching prolonged the procedure. Pain does not suffice, agony is the description I would use. I refused to stop the EMG because I wanted proof that my chronic lower back pain was not in my head. My diagnosis was neuropathy and radiculopathy.

Electromyogram - Diagnosis Question: Have you received an electromyogram? Did it diagnose your condition, and if so, what was causing your muscle weakness?