Patient Comments: Electromyogram - Experience

Please describe your experience receiving an electromyogram.

Comment from: Liz Wolf, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

Had both tests done today. They did the electro shocks in my hands very lightly, but along my upper arms it was painful. The needles did not hurt going in at all, just a little twinge, but after I left I did feel like I had received vaccinations all over my arms and hands. It was worse the first two hours afterwards than during. My suggestion is to bring along a Mortin to take right after the test if you are sensitive to pain.

Comment from: Just, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I've had two electromyogram done for neuropathy in my legs. Both tests were from the waist down to the bottom of my feet and it was the most painful, horrible experience of my lifetime. Over 100 needle-pricks with each test. It's equivalent to having a nerve in your tooth exposed to air (if you've ever had one of those), only now there's a doctor poking needles into that nerve too! By the time they got to the 20th needle, I was in tears. It was so painful, and was never so relieved to hear the words "we're done."

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

If you have herniated disc with spinal stenosis, AVOID THIS TEST. I've learned my lesson and now it's too late. I have back pain over the years and with help of exercise, therapy and medication I'm still able to function close to normal. My MRI shows a 9mm disk bulge which is impinging my nerve root. I have back pain when I'm standing and sitting but it's tolerable. Now 4 days after the test, my back pain became worse. Once I start sitting, my pain flares up right away and even with pain medication. It wasn't like this before. I can no longer stay sitting even for a very brief period. This is one of the worst thing that happened to me. I'm contacting my Dr. Tomorrow Monday to let him know my situation.

Comment from: niffer222, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I had this test done before my 3 level ACDF to determine neuropathy in my upper extremities and now tomorrow, I will again be subjected to this TORMENTING test due to ruptures in the l3-s1 area of my lumbar spine. I swore to myself I would never willingly take this test again and I have no choice if I want to undergo a second fusion for my lumbar spine. I think this is a hideous test that is not just unpleasant, but equivalent to human torture for me. I am already in pain and I will be medicated but I can tell you, I know it still will hurt.

Comment from: Mermaid51, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I received an electromyogram on both hands and arms. It was relatively quick and relatively non-painful.

Comment from: md, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I've had an electromyogram at least 6 times. The electrical shocks, though not harmful, really get set me on edge. The needle part is a piece of cake.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I had the needle test done in 2009. It was one of the most painful things I've ever gone through. I was stuck with a needle countless times from my wrists to my ankles. When the test was over I was even bleeding in a few areas. That's one test I'm not willing to ever have again!

Comment from: grandma16, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

Had an EMG and Nerve Conductor test this morning on both legs. I was really dreading it, but the nerve test was only slightly painful at times and the EMG was not bad at all except for a quick pain on just one of the first injections. Other than than I didn't even know when he put the needle in. Would not be apprehensive to have it done again.

Neurology - Diagnosis Question: Have you received an electromyogram? Did it diagnose your condition, and if so, what was causing your muscle weakness?