Patient Comments: Electromyogram - Experience

Please describe your experience receiving an electromyogram.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

If you have herniated disc with spinal stenosis, AVOID THIS TEST. I've learned my lesson and now it's too late. I have back pain over the years and with help of exercise, therapy and medication I'm still able to function close to normal. My MRI shows a 9mm disk bulge which is impinging my nerve root. I have back pain when I'm standing and sitting but it's tolerable. Now 4 days after the test, my back pain became worse. Once I start sitting, my pain flares up right away and even with pain medication. It wasn't like this before. I can no longer stay sitting even for a very brief period. This is one of the worst thing that happened to me. I'm contacting my Dr. Tomorrow Monday to let him know my situation.

Comment from: niffer222, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I had this test done before my 3 level ACDF to determine neuropathy in my upper extremities and now tomorrow, I will again be subjected to this TORMENTING test due to ruptures in the l3-s1 area of my lumbar spine. I swore to myself I would never willingly take this test again and I have no choice if I want to undergo a second fusion for my lumbar spine. I think this is a hideous test that is not just unpleasant, but equivalent to human torture for me. I am already in pain and I will be medicated but I can tell you, I know it still will hurt.

Comment from: Mermaid51, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I received an electromyogram on both hands and arms. It was relatively quick and relatively non-painful.

Comment from: md, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I've had an electromyogram at least 6 times. The electrical shocks, though not harmful, really get set me on edge. The needle part is a piece of cake.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I had the needle test done in 2009. It was one of the most painful things I've ever gone through. I was stuck with a needle countless times from my wrists to my ankles. When the test was over I was even bleeding in a few areas. That's one test I'm not willing to ever have again!

Comment from: grandma16, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

Had an EMG and Nerve Conductor test this morning on both legs. I was really dreading it, but the nerve test was only slightly painful at times and the EMG was not bad at all except for a quick pain on just one of the first injections. Other than than I didn't even know when he put the needle in. Would not be apprehensive to have it done again.

Comment from: Audra, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had an EMG and NCV done a week ago after being referred by my hand specialist who thinks I have anterior interosseous nerve (AIN) palsy. The doctor spent the first 10 minutes looking through textbooks, then she kept the books at the end of the table while conducting the test, referring to them often. This was painful for me and I have a high pain tolerance. She continually had to move the needle to get to the nerve (it is very deep) and the shocks while it was touching the nerve were quite painful. This test is highly dependent on how skilled the doctor is at performing it. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed by this doctor.

Comment from: jorgie2012@optonline, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had an EMG done last week. It was a little painful, but that night was the worst. The pain woke me up out of a sound sleep at 3 a.m. and I could not go back to sleep. An MRI showed herniated discs – C2-C7, and pressure on the spinal cord at C5 and C6. I'm still numb in my hand and can't hold on to anything. I see the doctor tomorrow for results of the EMG but was told it looked OK by the doctor who did it. I can't stand the numbness and neck pain anymore – it's been going on since February.

Neurology - Diagnosis Question: Have you received an electromyogram? Did it diagnose your condition, and if so, what was causing your muscle weakness?