Patient Comments: Electromyogram - Experience

Please describe your experience receiving an electromyogram.

Comment from: Russ B., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 21

I fell 6 ft. and dislocated my shoulder. After 7 weeks I am still having intense pain. My doctor sent me to have an electromyogram (EMG). I later told my wife that instead of waterboarding terrorists they should torture them with EMGs. It was the worst medical procedure I've ever endured. I was shocked at least 30 times and yelled out in pain several times. When he said he was done with that I was so relieved until he pulled out the needle and poked me at least 20 times starting in the palm of my hand, up my arm, chest, back, neck left and right shoulder. Seriously bad stuff.

Comment from: EMGtoday, Female (Patient) Published: August 04

What happens if the electromyogram (EMG) test didn't hurt at all! I didn't really feel it. It felt very relaxing to me on the highest level. I don't know if that is good or bad.

Comment from: Rita, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had the EMG test done about 2 months ago. I gave birth 9 times and never had pain like this test. I was not told anything about it beforehand. But as the test went on in my leg, the shocks got worse. I could tolerate it until he went to my spine. It was as if someone stuck a knife in my back. I never had back trouble, but now have a backache all the time. They didn't find out why my foot goes numb! I would never ever get another EMG. I almost wish I could sue someone for the misery I now have. It's much worse than a numb foot!

Comment from: MARIE, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I recently had an electromyogram done. And I have to agree it is very painful. It was painful enough to make me cry. The doctor even gave me a shot for pain. All this pain to tell me I have a lot of nerve damage and a pinched nerve that stemmed from by back surgery in January. Get this, my neurosurgeon can't find where the pinched nerve is. So I have been in real bad pain since then.

Comment from: Patti, Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I had electromyogram done today, 3/14/15, without knowing what to expect. After the 3rd surge of electricity, I made her stop the test. The pain was horrific and felt like I was being Tasered. The electrical current was so strong, I felt like I was going to be jolted right off the table, like when they are using a cardiac defibrillator. I asked her to turn down the voltage to a more tolerable level and she said she couldn't, so I made her stop. I certainly wouldn't do this test again.

Comment from: fgc, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I have had three electromyograms and nerve conduction studies and read many of the horror stories online but honestly I can't understand how the experience I had could be even possibly the same test as other people's experiences. It was really nothing at all. I wouldn't hesitate at all to have one tomorrow morning or have any anxiety about it. I wonder if it makes a difference that all of mine were administered by neurologists. It isn't the best way to spend time and it is fairly painful and intense but the shocks to me were so brief and only a second or two per one. By the time my brain went ouch, the shock was over. Also at any point they can stop which obviously isn't great because you want conclusive test results but do not fear that you cannot bow out or finish the test early if the pain is too unbearable for you.

Comment from: painter33, Male (Patient) Published: February 17

I had a nerve conductivity test on both legs prior to a lumbar spine fusion and actually felt very little (I had no numbness before or after the test). I was expecting full, break-the-skin needles to be placed at various locations, but the small electrical charges were inconsequential. This electromyogram test was so benign that I'd do it at the drop of a hat. Electronic muscle stimulation, used in physical therapy, operates much the same way, only fires muscle into action with greater electrical force. Maybe it might help to think when a nerve is stimulated in one place, it can be felt in another place; that's interesting. If you're briefly occupied with scientific curiosity, you might be less likely to focus on the test as it is occurring.

Electromyogram - Diagnosis Question: Have you received an electromyogram? Did it diagnose your condition, and if so, what was causing your muscle weakness?