Patient Comments: Electromyogram - Experience

Please describe your experience receiving an electromyogram.

Comment from: lynn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had gone in to have this electromyogram done yesterday on my legs and feet and I will admit that I was very nervous. The shock part wasn't that bad, and when the neurologist came in to do the needle part he had said that the shock part didn't look that bad. So I asked him what the point was to have this needle test if the shock test didn't look so bad and he said that they go together, so I said ok I'm ready then and he said he had already stuck 2 needles in and I did not even feel them at all, so it is really nothing to be worried about. So I am not worried at all about going in for the upper EMG in 2 weeks and am thankful that this test gave me an accurate diagnosis.

Comment from: painpain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have had a lot of pain with carpal tunnel syndrome and pain in shoulder blades. I got an electromyogram test and nerve conduction test done ten days ago. I am in more pain than I ever was before! The nerve test hurt a lot on the first arm from fingertips to neck. But the second arm was easier to handle. The EMG test was extremely painful and they also must have aggravated nerve and muscle and I have been in a lot more pain than before. My hands are weaker and still sore and I have had to take more pain medications in the last ten days than I have ever have before! I get my results tomorrow!

Comment from: Jean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

The shocks were so high and excruciating that my foot and leg jumped off the table. This was done over and over again. She called the doctor in and he held my hand. It was worse than the labor of my three children, natural deliveries. We may have had someone that didn't know what they were doing or we have very live nerves. I will never get this done again. They should put some people out for this kind of thing, especially if they had a bad first experience.

Comment from: Di, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I just had the electromyogram (EMG). It was not so bad. I expected some pain but what there was, was quick and tolerable. The results answered our questions so I am happy to have had it done.

Comment from: sj, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

The electromyogram (EMG) was not that bad. The shocks were tolerable and the needle part was easy - most of the time I did not even feel the needles go in.

Comment from: Molly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I experienced an electromyogram. It was painful though not unbearable, which is what the doctor said at the beginning of the test. A couple of the needles hurt really badly. But I used deep breathing to keep calm. I was having the test to determine why I had so much pain and weakness in my muscles and to see if it related to a fall I had a year ago. It did give very useful information.

Comment from: Pete, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

I was afraid this was going to be a painful test, but as medical procedures go I found it pretty easy. It helped, I think, that I know the neurologist well and we were having a pleasant conversation throughout the test. A nerve velocity study was done over my entire right side, with about 20 tests done. The resident helping warned I might find them unpleasant due to heavy musculature on my arms. A first I found the electric shocks unpleasant - joking that it reminded me of touching an electric fence, but after I got use to the shocks and realized they weren't doing any harm, I found them amusing and not painful at all. I think the pain is more a perception that something is strange rather than a real pain. The EMG needle test was done only on my leg and buttocks. I couldn't even feel the needles, and only a mild cramping when they had to move the needles about. Again, really not unpleasant as medical tests go.

Comment from: ThanxDocGreen, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

Just had both tests done today on my right arm and hand. The tests do not cause any pain, other than the prick of a needle the same size as an acupuncture needle. I've had numbness in the forearm, my pointer finger, and my middle finger. My pain was excruciating for two weeks prior to being put on a steroid treatment. The cycle of steroids ended today, six day cycle, the tests were done this morning. Now I know there isn't any permanent damage and it can be treated.

Neurology - Diagnosis Question: Have you received an electromyogram? Did it diagnose your condition, and if so, what was causing your muscle weakness?