Patient Comments: Electromyogram - Experience

Please describe your experience receiving an electromyogram.

Comment from: Cassie2u, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I just had an electromyogram (EMG) today for left sided pain from neck down to fingers. It was exactly like someone else said "torture". I will never have one again; couldn"t even finish. If the shocks weren"t bad enough, having needles stuck in your arm and then being told to bend it while they swirl it around the nerve. Insane! Then when she got to my neck, I wanted to die. Having children was much easier. When she stuck the first needle in my back, I couldn"t handle anymore. She asked if I wanted to stop. Yes! Never would I ever do that again. I am still sore. I just hope she can get enough to give me results of this pain I"ve had for two years in my shoulder/AC joint.

Comment from: bellagramma, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 31

On 1/28/14 I had an EMG (electromyogram) for neuropathy of lower extremities, my feet are numb and they tingle at times. It seems as though the needles inflamed the nerves, I have a burning sensation and pain in my legs. It made my symptoms worse than before the test.

Comment from: lynn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had gone in to have this electromyogram done yesterday on my legs and feet and I will admit that I was very nervous. The shock part wasn't that bad, and when the neurologist came in to do the needle part he had said that the shock part didn't look that bad. So I asked him what the point was to have this needle test if the shock test didn't look so bad and he said that they go together, so I said ok I'm ready then and he said he had already stuck 2 needles in and I did not even feel them at all, so it is really nothing to be worried about. So I am not worried at all about going in for the upper EMG in 2 weeks and am thankful that this test gave me an accurate diagnosis.

Comment from: painpain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have had a lot of pain with carpal tunnel syndrome and pain in shoulder blades. I got an electromyogram test and nerve conduction test done ten days ago. I am in more pain than I ever was before! The nerve test hurt a lot on the first arm from fingertips to neck. But the second arm was easier to handle. The EMG test was extremely painful and they also must have aggravated nerve and muscle and I have been in a lot more pain than before. My hands are weaker and still sore and I have had to take more pain medications in the last ten days than I have ever have before! I get my results tomorrow!

Comment from: Jean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

The shocks were so high and excruciating that my foot and leg jumped off the table. This was done over and over again. She called the doctor in and he held my hand. It was worse than the labor of my three children, natural deliveries. We may have had someone that didn't know what they were doing or we have very live nerves. I will never get this done again. They should put some people out for this kind of thing, especially if they had a bad first experience.

Comment from: Di, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I just had the electromyogram (EMG). It was not so bad. I expected some pain but what there was, was quick and tolerable. The results answered our questions so I am happy to have had it done.

Comment from: sj, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

The electromyogram (EMG) was not that bad. The shocks were tolerable and the needle part was easy - most of the time I did not even feel the needles go in.

Comment from: Molly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I experienced an electromyogram. It was painful though not unbearable, which is what the doctor said at the beginning of the test. A couple of the needles hurt really badly. But I used deep breathing to keep calm. I was having the test to determine why I had so much pain and weakness in my muscles and to see if it related to a fall I had a year ago. It did give very useful information.

Electromyogram - Diagnosis Question: Have you received an electromyogram? Did it diagnose your condition, and if so, what was causing your muscle weakness?