Patient Comments: Electromyogram - Diagnosis

Have you received an electromyogram? Did it diagnose your condition, and if so, what was causing your muscle weakness?

Comment from: Daisymae, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I just had an electromyogram (EMG) of the lower legs for extreme weakness and because of problems judging my ground which would cause me to fall. The doctor who performed the study said it was basically unremarkable so I guess they did not find what they were looking for in this test. From what I"ve read, this test is basically useless for most nerve problems and is only good at diagnosing superficial nerve loss. I don"t understand it except another way to gain money from a simply useless test.

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 (Patient) Published: March 07

The electromyogram proved I"m a myasthenia gravis (MG) patient. It was the worst thing I went through in my life. I had chills for a week afterwards and where needles were put in my head it still hurts to brush.

Comment from: flyboy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

Had an electromyogram/nerve conduction velocity test (EMG/NCV) today for foot neuropathy, (non-diabetic), in both feet. The test was administered in both legs from knees down. Not so bad, but noticed my left foot had strange sensations tonight that I"ve never had before. Other than that, all is okay. Neuropathy levels are unaffected/altered. I feel lucky after reading about others experiences. I wish you all well.

Comment from: ssswimmer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had an electromyogram (EMG) 4 days ago because of leg pain. The nerve test was unpleasant and painful. It made my toes go numb during the test. The muscle part was torture. It was extremely painful when the electrode was inserted. I survived the test and if that was all there was to it, it would be ok. That night I felt like I had been electrocuted, every nerve in my body felt like it was on fire and I felt every pain I had ever had. My left arm had been feeling numb before the test, but now my right arm was numb also. My leg pain has increased and I have numbness in several parts of my body. The test came out normal! Think twice before you agree to have this test.

Comment from: Ruggedoasis, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had a second electromyogram (EMG) and nerve conduction study on 3/19/14 and it was way worse than the C-section I had with my kids! Absolute torture! Then on top of that, both arms are bruised and swollen at the needle entry site, triceps. I have been in more pain than I have been in a year and a half! Unbelievable! Then to top it off, the doctor told me he was not sure why it was ordered since it won"t really show a pinched nerve in the neck! I went through this medieval torture for nothing... twice! I will never do this again!

Comment from: Maron, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had an electromyogram (EMG) last Wednesday - never again! I still have sizable bruises on my forearms from the electric shocks and a hole in my forearm muscle, where I was poked with needles. The worst was that I had to move my muscles against the needles so that the difference by the motion could be determined. The worst was when needles were stuck in the back of my neck and I had to bend my head forward - I started screaming. The testing took 3 hours and by the time it was over, I was exhausted. This to me is inhumane and belongs in the middle ages!

Electromyogram - Experience Question: Please describe your experience receiving an electromyogram.