Patient Comments: Electromyogram - Diagnosis

Have you received an electromyogram? Did it diagnose your condition, and if so, what was causing your muscle weakness?

Comment from: JulieAnnJewelry, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had an electromyogram (EMG) yesterday. I didn't mind the test at all. The needle part was very tolerable and the electrical shocks were nothing to be afraid of! If you are having this test, don't stress, relax, and it will be fine. It was a piece of cake! Of course, my concern were the results. I have benign fasciculation syndrome. My muscles jump in my body causing cramps, pain, numbness etc. I never heard of this condition. It is not serious and there is no cure. It can go into remission. It is annoying, but a better diagnosis than so many dreaded diseases. It can be brought on by anxiety or stress. The doctor did put me on magnesium to see if that would help. If you develop this muscle twitching, don't assume the worst, it could be this condition that I have, annoying, but not life threatening. I did not have muscle weakness as a symptom.

Comment from: kroy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

I had an ECG on my left arm today. After the 6th or 7th shock apparently I passed out with my eyes open, in shock myself. They said they didn't have enough data for the test to be reliable. I no longer care if I have nerve damage in my hand as long as I never have to have that test done again. I didn't even make it to the EMG (electromyogram).

Comment from: Daisymae, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I just had an electromyogram (EMG) of the lower legs for extreme weakness and because of problems judging my ground which would cause me to fall. The doctor who performed the study said it was basically unremarkable so I guess they did not find what they were looking for in this test. From what I"ve read, this test is basically useless for most nerve problems and is only good at diagnosing superficial nerve loss. I don"t understand it except another way to gain money from a simply useless test.

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 (Patient) Published: March 07

The electromyogram proved I"m a myasthenia gravis (MG) patient. It was the worst thing I went through in my life. I had chills for a week afterwards and where needles were put in my head it still hurts to brush.

Comment from: carmel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had an electromyogram (EMG) because I had Bell's palsy affecting my right face. The electric shocks were bearable but I had to hold on to a piece of cloth every time I was 'jolted' because it was painful. The insertion of the needles hurt terribly. But it was over quickly. The problem is my face felt sore that day and still feels sore even a week after.

Comment from: jo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had my electromyogram done today and found it ranged from rather unpleasant to almost unbearable! I have a lot of tattoos and find them painless and always have had a high pain threshold. I am now wondering if this means my nerves are in fact fine and that's why it hurt so much. Or maybe it hurt so much because there is a problem. I have to wait another few weeks for my results.

Comment from: debpike, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I had these electromyogram tests a week ago. The shocking did not hurt at all. The needles didn't hurt until the doctor started poking around my spine. Worst pain I've ever been in. I actually cried. Then I calmed down enough to leave the office. As soon as I got in the car I was sobbing uncontrollably. I don't have the results yet. I used to think I had high tolerance for pain.

Comment from: flyboy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

Had an electromyogram/nerve conduction velocity test (EMG/NCV) today for foot neuropathy, (non-diabetic), in both feet. The test was administered in both legs from knees down. Not so bad, but noticed my left foot had strange sensations tonight that I"ve never had before. Other than that, all is okay. Neuropathy levels are unaffected/altered. I feel lucky after reading about others experiences. I wish you all well.

Electromyogram - Experience Question: Please describe your experience receiving an electromyogram.