Patient Comments: Electrolytes - Diagnosis

Question:What was the diagnosis made from your electrolytes test?

Comment from: Titi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I have low potassium, found from an electrolytes test. I've been seeing an endocrinologist and he was the only one who knew what to do to get it within normal range. I was 2.8 but now I'm holding steady at 4.4. This can be fixed with either medication or surgery. In my case, medication (Aldactone) is the answer as both of my adrenals are kicking out too much hormone. This is nothing to play with, please see a specialist.

Comment from: Natalie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I was diagnosed with Cushing's syndrome and it all stemmed from heart palpitations. They discovered my electrolytes where all messed up; I had very low potassium and magnesium which were causing my palpitations. The palpitations were so bad that my heartbeat was only about 30 normal beats a minute. I was to the point of passing out in the emergency room (ER), and they pumped me full of potassium and magnesium and I felt better. They did a CAT scan and discovered the tumor on my adrenal gland. That is when everything fell into place. I take 1200 mg potassium daily and 350 mg magnesium and now I wait until I can afford to take time off to have surgery.

Comment from: gerry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I have had some form of paroxysmal atrial tachycardia (PAT) since I was in my early 20s. I am 72 now. The way I control it the best is by controlling my electrolytes. I watch my sodium intake carefully. I try to keep it under 2000 mg per day. I take 1200 mg of potassium per day. I take 300 mg of magnesium per day. I take 1200 mg of calcium per day. All of my blood tests show normal amounts of these minerals in my blood. I also take 25mg of HCTZ per day, to control blood pressure, and it has 37.5 mg of a potassium saver in it also. People who do this should have their blood tested to make sure it is within normal limits. People with congestive heart failure could have high levels of potassium in their blood.

Comment from: s a c, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

Now my problem is prostate gland infection (may be it will be scrotal reconstruction) and I have taken many medicines but it doesn't improve. Potassium level is high, and sodium is low in my electrolyte test. I am diabetic, have had bypass done, my heart pumping is very low (30 to 40 percent), and I have liver problem.

Comment from: Pat, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 19

From the electrolytes test, it was diagnosed that I have low sodium, but I also have stage 3 kidney disease and was told to limit my fluid intake. But through trial and error and observing that as soon as I get a fluid solution in the hospital my kidney functions improve, but with additional fluid I lose sodium so I eat about 3-4 teaspoons of sea salt daily. This keeps my sodium level at a normal rate for me, which is from 128 and 130. It has been at this level for years and my body is used to it.

Comment from: Joy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 15

Jean, I have exactly the same thing. About 2 months ago I had an extreme rapid drop in blood pressure due to my hypertension medication. Passed out, fell and broke 2 fingers. I underwent practically every test they could think of while in the hospital but was still having problems. Finally a kidney specialist diagnosed it as SIADH or hyponatremia. Put me on a restricted fluid intake of 32 oz per day. This has helped but I am still very weak and tire so easily. Hopefully in time this will all get better.

Comment from: aria926, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I have low sodium and low potassium. It seems like nothing I do makes a difference. It wouldn't bother me and I wouldn't worry if it wasn't affecting my health but a couple of weeks ago my heart stopped. It lasted only a few seconds but was followed by a rapid and erratic beat. I was so scared, I have never felt so close to death and if my heart had not started to beat again when it did I would have lost consciousness. I was sitting in class and I thought nobody would notice. I tried to yell to call 911 but I couldn't move. My shoulders and down both arms became tingly and felt weightless. My vision became blurred, except for in the center. It was like I was looking through a tunnel of blur and I was getting further away. It felt like a dream, only my spirit was slipping into the dream and my body was sitting in class. I am supposed to drink lots of water and add sea salt to everything. I am supposed to lie down flat if I feel it happening again. I don't have a diagnosis yet. My brother has the same symptoms and he was diagnosed with neurocardiogenic syncope. He told me that his sodium and potassium are low also. He carries pretzels everywhere he goes!