Patient Comments: Electrolytes - Diagnosis

Question:What was the diagnosis made from your electrolytes test?

Comment from: gerry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I have had some form of paroxysmal atrial tachycardia (PAT) since I was in my early 20s. I am 72 now. The way I control it the best is by controlling my electrolytes. I watch my sodium intake carefully. I try to keep it under 2000 mg per day. I take 1200 mg of potassium per day. I take 300 mg of magnesium per day. I take 1200 mg of calcium per day. All of my blood tests show normal amounts of these minerals in my blood. I also take 25mg of HCTZ per day, to control blood pressure, and it has 37.5 mg of a potassium saver in it also. People who do this should have their blood tested to make sure it is within normal limits. People with congestive heart failure could have high levels of potassium in their blood.

Comment from: Joy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 15

Jean, I have exactly the same thing. About 2 months ago I had an extreme rapid drop in blood pressure due to my hypertension medication. Passed out, fell and broke 2 fingers. I underwent practically every test they could think of while in the hospital but was still having problems. Finally a kidney specialist diagnosed it as SIADH or hyponatremia. Put me on a restricted fluid intake of 32 oz per day. This has helped but I am still very weak and tire so easily. Hopefully in time this will all get better.

Comment from: aria926, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I have low sodium and low potassium. It seems like nothing I do makes a difference. It wouldn't bother me and I wouldn't worry if it wasn't affecting my health but a couple of weeks ago my heart stopped. It lasted only a few seconds but was followed by a rapid and erratic beat. I was so scared, I have never felt so close to death and if my heart had not started to beat again when it did I would have lost consciousness. I was sitting in class and I thought nobody would notice. I tried to yell to call 911 but I couldn't move. My shoulders and down both arms became tingly and felt weightless. My vision became blurred, except for in the center. It was like I was looking through a tunnel of blur and I was getting further away. It felt like a dream, only my spirit was slipping into the dream and my body was sitting in class. I am supposed to drink lots of water and add sea salt to everything. I am supposed to lie down flat if I feel it happening again. I don't have a diagnosis yet. My brother has the same symptoms and he was diagnosed with neurocardiogenic syncope. He told me that his sodium and potassium are low also. He carries pretzels everywhere he goes!

Comment from: gulchgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I have the same problem. I started drinking V8 because it has the sodium and potassium in it. Will see if it helps.

Comment from: Mr., 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 04

Sodium 140mEq/L, Potassium 2.0mEq/L, Chloride 105 mEq/L

Comment from: jane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I have suffered from heart palpitations off and on for years. In an unrelated wellness exam, my doctor told me I was slightly dehydrated. (I confess I don't drink enough water). I have noticed that if I drink more water and I take potassium pills the heart palpitations stop.

Comment from: Akintola, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

My potassium level was 4.1 from a range of 3.2-5.2. I have just done another in and got a result of 7.2 from a range of 3.5-5.0! I am worried about this. I have since discovered my pulse reading is irregular and did and ECG which turned out normal.

Comment from: Jean, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I was diagnosed with Hyponatremia over a year ago. The doctor restricted my fluids to four cups a day. I was told that this is the only treatment for my condition. My sodium and chloride level have improved but not to the normal level. I have been told that should I drink more fluids, my sodium will drop back below normal level. I find my situation discouraging, and wonder if others have experienced this problem as well.

Comment from: d., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

Electrolytes are essential for your overall health and happiness. I had serious deficiencies in potassium and others over a long period due to eating disorders. This article is so beneficial for those who are trying to get stronger after severe stress of the body. I know for sure that I have severe muscle issues after years of consistent fluid loss without re-hydrating appropriately. I can only hope that I didn't cause any permanent damage and can recover.

Comment from: Dee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I was diagnosed with Syncope, Hypokalemia, Hyponatremia and hospitalized for 4 days. I collapsed in house and transported via ambulance to hospital.

Comment from: missmangolove, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 05

It would be nice to know what sources sodium, potassium, bicarbonate, and chloride can be found in. Thanks for writing this article otherwise as I found it top notch! Best wishes.