Electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) Index
An electrocardiogram, or "ECG" "EKG," the acronyms more commonly used for this non-invasive procedure to record the electrical activity of the heart. An EKG is generally performed as part of routine physical exam, part of a cardiac exercise stress test, or part of the evaluation of symptoms of palpitations, fainting, shortness of breath, dizziness, fainting, or chest pain.
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
Blood clots can occur in the venous and arterial vascular system. Blood clots can form in the heart, legs, arteries, veins,...learn more »
In This Article
Polycythemia (High Red Blood Cell Count) Article
- Polycythemia facts
- What is polycythemia?
- What are normal ranges of hematocrit, red cell counts, and hemoglobin?
- What causes polycythemia?
- What are the causes of primary polycythemia?
- What are the common causes of secondary polycythemia?
- Can other sources of erythropoietin (EPO) cause polycythemia?
- What is relative polycythemia?
- What are the risk factors for polycythemia?
- What is stress polycythemia?
- What are the symptoms of polycythemia?
- When should I see a doctor about polycythemia?
- How is polycythemia diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for polycythemia?
- What are the complications of polycythemia?
- Can polycythemia be prevented?
- What is the outlook (prognosis) for polycythemia?
In This Article
Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung) Article
- Pulmonary embolism facts
- What is a pulmonary embolism?
- What are the causes and risk factors for pulmonary embolism?
- What are the signs and symptoms of pulmonary embolism?
- How is pulmonary embolism diagnosed?
- PERC Rule for Pulmonary Embolus
- Basic testing (CBC, electrolytes, BUN, creatinine blood test, chest X-ray, EKG)
- Pulmonary angiogram
- d-Dimer blood test
- CT scan
- Ventilation-perfusion scans
- Venous Doppler study
- What is the treatment for pulmonary embolism?
- Thrombolytic therapy
- What is the prognosis for pulmonary embolism?
- Can pulmonary embolism be prevented?