Patient Comments: Elbow Pain - Causes

What caused your elbow pain?

Comment from: Marleyfu, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

My elbow pain began after performing dumbbell exercises several months ago. The pain occurs whenever I lift something as light as a full drinking glass. It begins above the elbow in the back and extends to below the elbow ion my forearm. Rest hasn't helped nor has light exercise.

Comment from: justpeggy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I fell on a hard surface and broke all three bones in my right arm at the elbow joint. After 3 months, they have determined that I suffer from nonunion. Besides Ibuprofen, I wonder what I could do for the chronic pain. It keeps me from falling asleep, and I wake and have to move my arm about every 30 minutes. The pain is always present, from my fingers up to my shoulder. Even pressing buttons on my TV remote hurts! I still have limited mobility. I am tired of hurting all the time!

Comment from: Mikel, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

Currently, I have a very hot elbow, which is very painful. It was inflamed, both by size, and by temperature. I did not have a fever, but am being treated for 2 possible causes. Since the emergency room could not do a "biopsy" of fluid, they had to assume that I had cellulitis as a primary diagnosis. Secondary diagnosis was gouty arthritis. I want others to note that the X-ray "was clean" as one emergency room worker had put it. I also did not have elevated white blood cells (per CBC test). My current medication, indomethacin, given by the emergency room, is not talking the swelling down. I am also on Lupin, for the same exact amount of time as the Indomethacin. I have arthritis in other parts of my body, but nothing got to be as hot as my elbow. As I went into the emergency room, I felt a "needle pricking" like it broke off and stuck in nerve area (inside arm) at the elbow. Now I can tell that I do feel sharp pains when moving my arm, when not immobilized in a sling. I am still "puffed up" with the swelling, but little discoloration. I also have to mention that I had no trauma to the arm or elbow areas. My TENS unit helps a little, but does not diagnose exactly what this is, or cure the actual problem.

Comment from: Shawn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I work in the automotive industry and have had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands as well as trigger finger tendon release. I have started having issues with my right elbow and continued pain in my right wrist. Unfortunately, it was 16 months from the time I initiated my injury claim before I had my surgery, therefore, my right hand, wrist and elbow are pretty well toast plus I am right handed. I am still suffering from pain even when I am not working. It is difficult to pick up the smallest items.

Comment from: Athlete, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

Had a cycling accident and struck the side view mirror of a car with my right arm (took off the mirror in the process). Since then I have localized pain around my medial epicondyle that is excruciating when palpated. The pain is also worse when I pull in (flex) my right ring finger.

Comment from:, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I've had nerve replacement. Recent X-rays show growth in my elbow. Also, I have pain and lack of movement and I can't straighten my arm. I started off bad, got better, but increasingly got worse again. I haven't gotten a real answer and I'm worried.

Comment from: shreya, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I get elbow pain on the distal part after doing some work.

Elbow Pain - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with elbow pain.
Elbow Pain - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your elbow pain?