Patient Comments: Elbow Pain - Causes

What caused your elbow pain?

Comment from: Mikel, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

Currently, I have a very hot elbow, which is very painful. It was inflamed, both by size, and by temperature. I did not have a fever, but am being treated for 2 possible causes. Since the emergency room could not do a "biopsy" of fluid, they had to assume that I had cellulitis as a primary diagnosis. Secondary diagnosis was gouty arthritis. I want others to note that the X-ray "was clean" as one emergency room worker had put it. I also did not have elevated white blood cells (per CBC test). My current medication, indomethacin, given by the emergency room, is not talking the swelling down. I am also on Lupin, for the same exact amount of time as the Indomethacin. I have arthritis in other parts of my body, but nothing got to be as hot as my elbow. As I went into the emergency room, I felt a "needle pricking" like it broke off and stuck in nerve area (inside arm) at the elbow. Now I can tell that I do feel sharp pains when moving my arm, when not immobilized in a sling. I am still "puffed up" with the swelling, but little discoloration. I also have to mention that I had no trauma to the arm or elbow areas. My TENS unit helps a little, but does not diagnose exactly what this is, or cure the actual problem.

Comment from: Shawn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I work in the automotive industry and have had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands as well as trigger finger tendon release. I have started having issues with my right elbow and continued pain in my right wrist. Unfortunately, it was 16 months from the time I initiated my injury claim before I had my surgery, therefore, my right hand, wrist and elbow are pretty well toast plus I am right handed. I am still suffering from pain even when I am not working. It is difficult to pick up the smallest items.

Comment from: Athlete, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

Had a cycling accident and struck the side view mirror of a car with my right arm (took off the mirror in the process). Since then I have localized pain around my medial epicondyle that is excruciating when palpated. The pain is also worse when I pull in (flex) my right ring finger.

Comment from: shreya, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I get elbow pain on the distal part after doing some work.

Published: January 09

While playing Badminton, I had a jerk and after that I feel severe pain in my right elbow and can not extend my arm at elbow joint fully.

Comment from: sshamus@comcast.net, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I've had nerve replacement. Recent X-rays show growth in my elbow. Also, I have pain and lack of movement and I can't straighten my arm. I started off bad, got better, but increasingly got worse again. I haven't gotten a real answer and I'm worried.

Comment from: teddy, 35-44 Male Published: December 13

When doing pull ups on a bar my right elbow gives me a lot of pain.

Comment from: Anaxgoo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

Two months ago, I was rubbing the back of my neck while walking briskly through my hallway. I bumped my elbow on a large picture frame and wow, did it hurt! I'm dark skinned, so I never saw any bruising, but it was very tender for a few days afterwards. A few weeks later, and occasionally ever since, I bent my arm and experienced a sharp pain on the tip of my elbow. When this happens, I can feel a protrusion as though a muscle has slipped to the wrong side of the joint. It goes away if I straighten my arm & bend it again. Recently, I feel a sharp pain at the tip of my elbow anytime I rest it, even gently, against a solid surface.

Elbow Pain - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with elbow pain.
Elbow Pain - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your elbow pain?