Patient Comments: Elbow Pain - Causes

What caused your elbow pain?

Comment from: Austen, 45-54 Male Published: February 07

I am 53 and quite proud of the fact that I was doing 100 pushups 3 times a week until my elbow pain started. And what a pain it is! It resides mostly in my left arm on the inside of my elbow. I stopped doing the pushups, but with plenty of snow removal (using a blower) and hauling wood into the house, the pain has not gone away (its been about 2 weeks). I also played basketball and at first that seemed to help but afterwards I experienced more pain.

Comment from: dave, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 24

I was shoveling snow and my left elbow started to hurt a little bit. It has been several weeks and it seems to be getting much worse, I can not twist my arm. It hurts on the top out side.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

I don't know initially what caused my elbow pain but it reaches my forearm to where I can barely pick up my purse, or even a glass of water. I have lost strength in it. Neither cold or ice helps or not even any type of pain killer. I even went to see my chiropractor and he gave me some ultrasound on it. That didn't even help much either. I am so frustrated and wish I knew what this pain is.

Comment from: hockeyguy, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: October 16

I was playing hockey and I hit my elbow on the ice and it swelled up right away and that was almost a month ago and I still have a bit of pain. I can do curls but cannot do a pushing movement such as bench press and dumbbells.

Comment from: Libby, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

Nothing caused it. Just happened to pain suddenly.

Comment from: Wondering, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

When I was pregnant with my daughter I gained 100 pounds, since then I have been a hard core gym rat for six months now and I now have severe elbow and forearm pain. I am just wondering if it is my muscles adjusting to the intense workouts or if I should get it looked into. I have never had this before.

Comment from: greg, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

I have started lifting weights over the past five months and it seems like after about 3 months I started to get pain in my left elbow. This is in an area of the elbow that if I were to put my hand flat on the table I can feel the area on the left side of the joint. It doesn't feel like a joint but the connective tissue.

Comment from: GCB, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I knocked my elbow when I fell against a wall. Since then the ache has gradually got worse (over a 4-6 week period) and If I catch or knock it now it is incredibly painful. Have I caused permanent damage or is it curable?

Comment from: Rt outter elbow pain, 45-54 Male Published: March 13

I have outer elbow pain mostly at the tip of my elbow. I could have injured it lifting weights or a number of things. I don't have a full range of motion with the right elbow. If I try to bring my right elbow to my right shoulder, I feel immediate pain and my range of motion is only half way up. I can bring my left forearm all the way up to my left shoulder without any pain.

Comment from: Grateful, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

My elbow pain started when I tried to bare my weight on both elbows and slide myself out of bed. The pain was sharp -- it felt like something snapped. Now it hurts to apply any weight/pressure on that whole (left) arm, i.e., bracing up in an armed chair and lifting.

Elbow Pain - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with elbow pain.
Elbow Pain - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your elbow pain?