Patient Comments: Elbow Pain - Causes

What caused your elbow pain?

Comment from: greg, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

I have started lifting weights over the past five months and it seems like after about 3 months I started to get pain in my left elbow. This is in an area of the elbow that if I were to put my hand flat on the table I can feel the area on the left side of the joint. It doesn't feel like a joint but the connective tissue.

Comment from: GCB, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I knocked my elbow when I fell against a wall. Since then the ache has gradually got worse (over a 4-6 week period) and If I catch or knock it now it is incredibly painful. Have I caused permanent damage or is it curable?

Comment from: Rt outter elbow pain, 45-54 Male Published: March 13

I have outer elbow pain mostly at the tip of my elbow. I could have injured it lifting weights or a number of things. I don't have a full range of motion with the right elbow. If I try to bring my right elbow to my right shoulder, I feel immediate pain and my range of motion is only half way up. I can bring my left forearm all the way up to my left shoulder without any pain.

Comment from: Grateful, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

My elbow pain started when I tried to bare my weight on both elbows and slide myself out of bed. The pain was sharp -- it felt like something snapped. Now it hurts to apply any weight/pressure on that whole (left) arm, i.e., bracing up in an armed chair and lifting.

Comment from: merriel10, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 12

Last night I was moving a suitcase and I heard a pop in my elbow, followed by extreme pain. This has never happened before. My elbow is extremely sore, and it is hard for me to lift anything. As long as my elbow is in a neutral position it's OK, but if I go to move my arm, it starts a sharp pain in my elbow.

Comment from: Hawke303, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 12

I play football and am a quarterback. I'm having a lot of elbow pain -- not sore pain like when pitching a baseball, but more at the very end of my throw when I snap my wrist and elbow to my target. It hurts when I lift weights (primarily triceps' exercises) with a shooting pain. I'm scared it could be a Tommy John surgery type injury.

Comment from: Banklady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

I fell last summer, and have had pain in the upper forearm off and on ever since then. It is very aggravated, and stays red. Not swollen, though. Also, very painful if my arms is extended and I try to pick up something heavy.

Elbow Pain - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with elbow pain.
Elbow Pain - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your elbow pain?