Patient Comments: Elbow Pain - Causes

What caused your elbow pain?

Published: January 09

While playing Badminton, I had a jerk and after that I feel severe pain in my right elbow and can not extend my arm at elbow joint fully.

Comment from: teddy, 35-44 Male Published: December 13

When doing pull ups on a bar my right elbow gives me a lot of pain.

Comment from: Anaxgoo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

Two months ago, I was rubbing the back of my neck while walking briskly through my hallway. I bumped my elbow on a large picture frame and wow, did it hurt! I'm dark skinned, so I never saw any bruising, but it was very tender for a few days afterwards. A few weeks later, and occasionally ever since, I bent my arm and experienced a sharp pain on the tip of my elbow. When this happens, I can feel a protrusion as though a muscle has slipped to the wrong side of the joint. It goes away if I straighten my arm & bend it again. Recently, I feel a sharp pain at the tip of my elbow anytime I rest it, even gently, against a solid surface.

Comment from: annarose, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 29

I injured my elbow through years of being a certified nurses aid by lifting on heavy people, several arm injuries (broken arm in 3 places @ once, broke again above the wrist and several strained and sprained muscles over the years. After 10 years of being a nurse's aid I moved to the physical thereapy department where I was a restorative aid. I believe it was the repetitive motion of doing passive range of motion on almost 30 patients every day.

Comment from: rupert, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

I am a roofer and have been for 25 years now. About 5 years ago my hammer elbow starting cracking when I used it. Now we use air guns instead of hatchets and the pain has gotten a lot worse. In the morning I can't even lift a cup of coffee.

Comment from: thepep, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

During the last blizzard we had in NJ I was manually shoveling. About halfway through the day I felt a sharp pain in my left elbow area. I am right handed so when I throw the snow it seems my left arm is dealing with the bulk of the weight. This area only hurts if I make certain movements. Something as simple as lifting a cup of coffee to my mouth (with my left hand) hurts. I'm not sure if I should let time heal this or if I should visit a doctor for a more detailed evaluation.

Comment from: jnj3225, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 20

I'm an electrician. I was removing and replacing ballast (50). Twisting the nut driver and twisting the wires together caused pain in my inner elbow on the top and back when I extended it. Also severe pain when I close my forearm to my shoulder.

Comment from: 311soonner, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

While bowling suffered pain to the outside portion of the right elbow. Almost like I pinched a nerve. It hurts to pick up the ball but does not inhibit my range of motion. Attempt to massage the area helps a little. Take Advil and rub with sports rub relieves it. Aches severely for several hours afterwards.

Comment from: Brandon, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: November 07

I am a baseball catcher for my school. I have fought for 8 years and am now having problems with my elbow and shoulder. It affects the way I throw. The trainers at school say it's an elbow and shoulder strain but I think it's worse than that because the treatments are not working. I'm worried because baseball is my life and have been told I can go somewhere with it. I just want someone to help figure out what's wrong.

Elbow Pain - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with elbow pain.
Elbow Pain - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your elbow pain?