Patient Comments: Elbow Pain - Causes

What caused your elbow pain?

Comment from: annarose, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 29

I injured my elbow through years of being a certified nurses aid by lifting on heavy people, several arm injuries (broken arm in 3 places @ once, broke again above the wrist and several strained and sprained muscles over the years. After 10 years of being a nurse's aid I moved to the physical thereapy department where I was a restorative aid. I believe it was the repetitive motion of doing passive range of motion on almost 30 patients every day.

Comment from: rupert, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

I am a roofer and have been for 25 years now. About 5 years ago my hammer elbow starting cracking when I used it. Now we use air guns instead of hatchets and the pain has gotten a lot worse. In the morning I can't even lift a cup of coffee.

Comment from: thepep, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

During the last blizzard we had in NJ I was manually shoveling. About halfway through the day I felt a sharp pain in my left elbow area. I am right handed so when I throw the snow it seems my left arm is dealing with the bulk of the weight. This area only hurts if I make certain movements. Something as simple as lifting a cup of coffee to my mouth (with my left hand) hurts. I'm not sure if I should let time heal this or if I should visit a doctor for a more detailed evaluation.

Comment from: jnj3225, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 20

I'm an electrician. I was removing and replacing ballast (50). Twisting the nut driver and twisting the wires together caused pain in my inner elbow on the top and back when I extended it. Also severe pain when I close my forearm to my shoulder.

Comment from: 311soonner, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

While bowling suffered pain to the outside portion of the right elbow. Almost like I pinched a nerve. It hurts to pick up the ball but does not inhibit my range of motion. Attempt to massage the area helps a little. Take Advil and rub with sports rub relieves it. Aches severely for several hours afterwards.

Comment from: Brandon, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: November 07

I am a baseball catcher for my school. I have fought for 8 years and am now having problems with my elbow and shoulder. It affects the way I throw. The trainers at school say it's an elbow and shoulder strain but I think it's worse than that because the treatments are not working. I'm worried because baseball is my life and have been told I can go somewhere with it. I just want someone to help figure out what's wrong.

Comment from: Zip guide in Oregon, 19-24 Female Published: August 12

I am a zipline tour guide and just started this summer, and dismounting people from the cable which requires a stiff left arm while pulling down on the cable and lifting the pully (and sometimes the guests weight) up with the right. After about a month of doing this I have a severe sharp pain in my elbow and it almost locks up on me and feels like the muscles dont want to work anymore. It hurts almost immediately when I start dismounting and gets worse as I contuine...Even if I'm just laying in bed now or not using it it gets that sharp pain. It's difficult now to even climb with the left arm or put much pressure on it.

Comment from: Cassandra, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

My elbow pain starts when I am walking with my left arm just hanging down or when I am carrying anything in my left hand. It is hard for me to lift it up after it had been hanging down for about five minutes and sometimes it's in pain when I am not doing anything.

Comment from: EKM, 55-64 Female Published: May 19

I had a fall straight back which created a large cut of about 2 inches wide. Since then my elbow's been hurting on the left inside of the muscle above the elbow.

Elbow Pain - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with elbow pain.
Elbow Pain - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your elbow pain?