Patient Comments: Elbow Pain - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with elbow pain.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I am 18 yr old baseball player, although nothing is "wrong" with my elbow in the MRI, my elbow has been in pain for almost a year now. The inner portion of the elbow is tender to the throwing motion and sometimes will pop when given 100% effort into a motion. It will also lock up my fore arm when I am lifting occasionally and on certain days feels like it is just "grinding" bone on bone in the rear or upper part of the back elbow (towards shoulder) what could this be?

Comment from: maudski, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

My elbow pain began with tenderness when I placed the bony part of my elbow on a hard surface. Then I developed swelling in the inside part of my elbow. I was prescribed Naproxen and tried not to flex my elbow. Now the tenderness has spread and it hurts to both flex and extend my elbow. The naproxen did not help.

Comment from: Eva CH, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I have had elbow pain for about 4 months now, it's a lot more painful at night. I cannot bring my hand to my face or behind my neck area. I cannot spray anything on my hair because I do not have the strength and is also painful. It hurts to bring a cup of coffee to my mouth (so I have to use both hands). I have not been diagnosed with anything. I am deciding to get another opinion. I am not sure if I might have injured it while lifting weights?

Comment from: sdechert, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

I work as a hotel doorman lifting people's luggage. I normally lift with a curling motion, flexing my biceps. Once in a while, I have pain on the inside upper part of my forearm just below the elbow joint. I bought an elbow brace, but the condition seems to come and go. Sometimes I feel nothing, and sometimes taking a casserole out of the fridge hurts.

Comment from: Rosemarie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 12

The pain to my left elbow is on top of the joint towards the outside, an at times the pain reaches down to my wrist or up to my shoulder. I have been to the physio and she thinks it is tennis elbow. Taking Ibuprofen was successful as a pain reliever, but gave up on that because it badly affected my bowels after 6 days of taking it and if you don't feel the pain you are likely to use the arm too often, and when I do that, the pain the next day seems to be worse. I do so hope after a time it will clear up. I find I can't lift things, sometimes not even a jar of, say, marmalade from a cupboard.

Published: July 15

I fell really hard while Nordic skiing on a frozen lake last winter and I think hit my elbow first. There hasn't been a lot of pain or discomfort with the elbow, but sometimes I'll roll over on my elbow in bed and get a sharp pain that is right at the tip of the elbow. Sometimes it is sore to the touch, other times, it seems to move slightly. Does this sound like bone chips floating about? I can live with it, but wonder if I should have it checked out.

Published: July 10

I fell last November and broke my ring finger on my left hand. I then started having classic tennis elbow symptoms on that arm. But then my right arm started hurting and the pain now radiates down the forearm on both arms and the joints hurt and are very tender if I bump them. I have lost my grip and any lifting of the wrist where I pull the back of my hand back is very painful. I have read that kidney problems can cause such pain. I recently had severe flank pain on the right side that lasted about a month. I wasn't sure if it was kidney or back related, but it went away.

Published: June 27

My elbow pain started with a continual dull ache on the outer side of left elbow. Then a few nights ago, I began to be awakened by burning pain that radiates from the elbow to the shoulder. It is a deep throbbing pain that seems like the bone itself hurts. Using the arm does not cause pain to worsen except grabbing and lifting anything more than a pound with back of the hand facing toward ceiling, "underhand" grasping and lifting does not bother elbow. The pain last night was very severe, and I got out of bed early because I could not sleep. The pain subsided while standing; lying down caused the pain to increase.

Elbow Pain - Causes Question: What caused your elbow pain?
Elbow Pain - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your elbow pain?