Patient Comments: Edema - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for edema?

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 01

My mother has had pitting edema since as long as I can remember, in short she's done everything, only relief for her was grapes. Every day 2 to 3 hundred gram grapes worked for her. Even missing to take grapes for a few days makes it severe.

Comment from: mystycal1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I got edema as a side effect to prednisone, Symbicort and gabapentin; just for your information. I get acupuncture and see a chiropractor and it is almost gone.

Comment from: ed t, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

I've got edema from lying around in a hospital for 4 weeks. I got no exercise in that time. I was given Lasix intravenous. Trouble is that it wears on your kidneys. Lasix will get some water out of your artery system but not the flesh of your body. My only cure for me is a Lasix 40 a day and lots of sweat producing exercise/yard work. It has taken about 1 1/2 month to get back to somewhat normal.

Comment from: BlasterMaster, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

I developed lower (feet and ankles) peripheral edema in August, 2013 and as of date, extensive medical testing has yet to identify a cause. Heart, kidney, liver, blood clots, have all been eliminated by extensive ultrasound, x-ray and blood tests. The best guess at this point is weakened valves in the veins in lower legs. I want to see if there is a surgical solution so I don't have to continually use Lasix, which only treats the symptoms.

Comment from: tomdavis778, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 31

I have been suffering from chronic edema for 2 years now, and it has progressed through my entire body. Most days my hands are so swollen I look like I am wearing gloves, and my legs and feet are the same. I also developed brown spots / stains on my feet and legs up to my knees. I take 2 Lasix and an additional diuretic, and I am not getting relief. I have seen gastroenterologist, cardiologists, rheumatologists, and none of them can give me an answer. I have wheezing when I breathe, and shortness of breath at times, and am waiting now to see a pulmonary doctor. I am at a loss on what to do at this point.

Comment from: johanna, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have edema in legs bad. I use Lasix 3/day, potassium 3/day, and amitriptyline at night. I also have HHT (hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia) nose bleeding often. I had many blood transfusion. I take B12, iron supplement and vitamin D. Some medical experts say amitriptyline slows down heart rate. I had all tests done heart, lungs and ultrasound of legs. I am very healthy, thin, walk a lot, but still have fluid build-up. I cannot take any blood thinners due to having HHT nose bleeds.

Comment from: puzzled, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have had edema in my legs for 2 years and had all kinds of tests done but the doctors can't give a solid answer other than that gravity is doing it. Now I came down with a severe cold or flu, so I started taking antibiotics 2 days ago. Now suddenly I can see my calves and ankles again. I don't understand I'm guessing maybe I had some type of infection in my legs the whole time.

Comment from: duchess48, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

In response to the patient who used ginkgo biloba, I have read info from Kaiser that says that the herb can interfere with diabetes meds so be careful in using it. I have suffered from pitting edema in my feet and legs for a year, and the only thing Kaiser has said is to elevate them and use Lasix and keep compression on them. None of them is a permanent solution.

Edema - Causes Question: What caused your case of edema?
Edema - Signs and Symptoms Question: In addition to swelling, what were your signs and symptoms associated with edema?
Edema - Salt Intake Question: If you've had edema, in what ways do you adjust your salt intake?
Edema - Diuretics Question: Do you take diuretics to control edema? Please discuss your experience.
Edema - Edema Experience Question: Please describe your experience with edema.