Patient Comments: Edema - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for edema?

Comment from: J Smith, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 01

I had edema in my legs for a few years, and it had gotten to the point that I could not stand up (or even sit down) and work for more than a few hours. Even my fingers were a bit puffy, as I couldn't get my wedding ring off most days. The wife was concerned, as she'd seen it in the nursing home where she used to work, and said it may be a sign of impending heart problems. I tried reducing my salt intake (nothing). I tried doing green tea (a known diuretic), still nothing. Support stockings were my only option at that point. I had gained quite a bit of weight a few year earlier, as I had quit smoking cigarettes, and started eating cheesecakes. I decided to lose some weight by doing a ketogenic diet about nine months ago. To date I've lost about 75 pounds, and pretty much all/most of the edema in my legs are gone! Now weight lost may have been a big factor, but I'm convinced, after reading the actual research on PubMed and other sources, it was the excess carbohydrates that was making my blood pressure so high, and causing the edema. I know this because it took 4 or 5 months for most of the edema to disappear, but it took less than a month for my blood pressure (BP) to drop 20 points on the systolic (lower BP means less fluid retention). Now 129/72 is the reading my wife just took (was upwards of 156/95 before diet). Interestingly since I started this LCHF (low-carb, high fat) diet I routinely drink upwards of 12 plus eight ounces of water a day (the liver requires a lot of water to make ketones on this diet). So, much more water intake, lower BP, and the edema disappeared too. Oh by the way, I'm eating upwards of 4 or 5 grams of salt per day to boot (again, something this diet requires is more salt intake). So this proves that salt is not the culprit everyone says it is for high BP. Sure, it can exacerbate it if you already have high BP, but it is not the main driver of it.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 01

My mother has had pitting edema since as long as I can remember, in short she's done everything, only relief for her was grapes. Every day 2 to 3 hundred gram grapes worked for her. Even missing to take grapes for a few days makes it severe.

Comment from: mystycal1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I got edema as a side effect to prednisone, Symbicort and gabapentin; just for your information. I get acupuncture and see a chiropractor and it is almost gone.

Comment from: ed t, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

I've got edema from lying around in a hospital for 4 weeks. I got no exercise in that time. I was given Lasix intravenous. Trouble is that it wears on your kidneys. Lasix will get some water out of your artery system but not the flesh of your body. My only cure for me is a Lasix 40 a day and lots of sweat producing exercise/yard work. It has taken about 1 1/2 month to get back to somewhat normal.

Comment from: BlasterMaster, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

I developed lower (feet and ankles) peripheral edema in August, 2013 and as of date, extensive medical testing has yet to identify a cause. Heart, kidney, liver, blood clots, have all been eliminated by extensive ultrasound, x-ray and blood tests. The best guess at this point is weakened valves in the veins in lower legs. I want to see if there is a surgical solution so I don't have to continually use Lasix, which only treats the symptoms.

Comment from: amitriptyline, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 02

I have read that amitriptyline can cause or contribute to edema.

Edema - Causes Question: What caused your case of edema?
Edema - Signs and Symptoms Question: In addition to swelling, what were your signs and symptoms associated with edema?
Edema - Salt Intake Question: If you've had edema, in what ways do you adjust your salt intake?
Edema - Diuretics Question: Do you take diuretics to control edema? Please discuss your experience.
Edema - Edema Experience Question: Please describe your experience with edema.