Patient Comments: Edema - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for edema?

Comment from: puzzled, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have had edema in my legs for 2 years and had all kinds of tests done but the doctors can't give a solid answer other than that gravity is doing it. Now I came down with a severe cold or flu, so I started taking antibiotics 2 days ago. Now suddenly I can see my calves and ankles again. I don't understand I'm guessing maybe I had some type of infection in my legs the whole time.

Comment from: duchess48, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

In response to the patient who used ginkgo biloba, I have read info from Kaiser that says that the herb can interfere with diabetes meds so be careful in using it. I have suffered from pitting edema in my feet and legs for a year, and the only thing Kaiser has said is to elevate them and use Lasix and keep compression on them. None of them is a permanent solution.

Comment from: louis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

Last year I was diagnosed with Cellulitis (right leg was swollen, shiny, red and it actually squeaked and I was given strong anti-biotics. It flares every now and then and I am not convinced it ever went away completely. Just hit your site and noticed this condition (EDEMA) and am now not sure if this is what I have/had? Should I go back to the Doctor? Incidentally I have suffered from years from The 'Restless Leg Syndrome.' Last August I had a Morons Neuroma removed from my left foot and am experiencing pain in toes and foot in right foot. I love to walk and I work on my feet, but I suffered from aching feet as a child, especially when I sat on a chair that was too high. After work I have to lay with my legs raised as my legs twitch, ache and are unbearable, and long journeys can be embarrassing. I have taken herbal tablets for years that give me almost instant relief (NEW ERA for aching legs and feet that contain combination P tissue, salts, Calc. fluoride, calc. phosphate, mag. phosphate.

Comment from: Ole grumpy G, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have edema. When my legs swell and hurt I rub them with vinegar and get immediate relief. I never had edema until about 6 months ago.

Comment from: 7grandkids, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

Dandelion root tea has been the only thing that works for me. The excess fluids are flushed within a few hours.

Comment from: Trooper, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 16

My husband has liver cancer. Edema is a terrible side effect. He has been on Lasix and Aldactone with little to no effect. Green Tea with lemon and Dandelion sounds like a good way to go. Mother nature knows best! Thanks for the tips.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 09

I have been taking medication off and on only when it really is necessary. I take one tablet of Slow K and two tablets Lasix in the early mornings. This I do for one or two days and I discontinue for a couple of months and then I do it again, but this I would say is not the real cure. Slow K thins the blood, so it is easy to pass through the blood vessels. I have a heart problem or blocked blood vessels, so is why I take slow K with Lasix.

Comment from: Max777, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

What I have is edema. However, my feet have been swollen for nearly four days. I use ice cubes for about 10 minutes. The ice burning gives a feeling that the treatment is working. It does work, but the problem seems not to be going.

Edema - Causes Question: What caused your case of edema?
Edema - Signs and Symptoms Question: In addition to swelling, what were your signs and symptoms associated with edema?
Edema - Salt Intake Question: If you've had edema, in what ways do you adjust your salt intake?
Edema - Diuretics Question: Do you take diuretics to control edema? Please discuss your experience.
Edema - Edema Experience Question: Please describe your experience with edema.