Patient Comments: Edema - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for edema?

Comment from: dejo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

Lasix works for me just not all the time. The problem I have with it is having to run to the bathroom every 10-15 minutes for about 3 hours! This is extremely disruptive to my work day. I can not take it at night as I can't get enough sleep. On vacation it is even harder to deal with! I am going to try compression socks too. I have tried to cut back on salt. I take medication for high blood pressure and a heart problem. I switched heart medication as the doctor thought that would help alleviate the edema.

Comment from: Golden, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I developed severe edema from re-feeding syndrome. I retained roughly 60 lbs of water. While it took/is taking a long time to come off, I found that drinking lots of green tea w/ lemon helped a lot. That and constantly moving around (be it standing while doing my work or exercising) have helped a lot.

Comment from: Singapore NCS, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

Two months ago, I notice the right foot had pitting edema. Initially I thought it is due to a sprain I had earlier, which recovered by itself. Lately, I noticed that I actually have asymmetrical Edema. The Left leg was less swollen. My health screening 2 weeks ago shown that my liver function, kidney function and ECG (at rest) were normal. I guess it could be due to venous problems?

Comment from: MeSusan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

We ruled out heart, kidney, and liver. We don't know the cause of my edema, but I began to suspect it was allergies, as it came and went as quickly as it came, but, when I was put on diuretics, I did, indeed, lose 9 pounds of water retention in one week. The diuretics didn't last long, and I had constant edema. I have now gone cold turkey on them, and have none. This says to me (and, of course I could be wrong) that I am allergic to the sulfa in diuretics.

Edema - Causes Question: What caused your case of edema?
Edema - Signs and Symptoms Question: In addition to swelling, what were your signs and symptoms associated with edema?
Edema - Salt Intake Question: If you've had edema, in what ways do you adjust your salt intake?
Edema - Diuretics Question: Do you take diuretics to control edema? Please discuss your experience.
Edema - Edema Experience Question: Please describe your experience with edema.