Patient Comments: Edema - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for edema?

Published: July 15

Furosemide and Spironolactone have helped me with my edema for months now, and I am still on it and doing great.

Published: May 27

Lasix has helped but has stopped helping during the last three weeks.

Comment from: Trooper, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 16

My husband has liver cancer. Edema is a terrible side effect. He has been on Lasix and Aldactone with little to no effect. Green Tea with lemon and Dandelion sounds like a good way to go. Mother nature knows best! Thanks for the tips.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 09

I have been taking medication off and on only when it really is necessary. I take one tablet of Slow K and two tablets Lasix in the early mornings. This I do for one or two days and I discontinue for a couple of months and then I do it again, but this I would say is not the real cure. Slow K thins the blood, so it is easy to pass through the blood vessels. I have a heart problem or blocked blood vessels, so is why I take slow K with Lasix.

Comment from: Max777, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

What I have is edema. However, my feet have been swollen for nearly four days. I use ice cubes for about 10 minutes. The ice burning gives a feeling that the treatment is working. It does work, but the problem seems not to be going.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

The cause of edema is chronic dehydration. Although it sounds counter-productive, the key to ridding yourself of edema is by drinking water, not trying to get rid of it. The water that is being held in the body is held there because of excessive salt.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I had non-pitting edema of my lower legs, ankles and feet. My doctor finally realized that it was a side-effect of the blood pressure medicine I was taking (Lotrel). He took me off the Lotrel and onto Benicar HCT and within several months the edema was gone. I recommend you always research the side effects of the drugs you are prescribed before you start self-diagnosing and fearing the worst.

Comment from: 311steph, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

A few months ago, my doc changed my Birth Control Pill, one week later; my BP was elevated and had pitting edema in both feet and ankles (mostly my right foot). My doc put me on a diuretic (Triamterene/Hydrochlorothiazide) for BP. I was told that Birth Control Pills didn't make your BP go up. (wrong!) After 2 months of being on the new bcp and BP meds, the swelling was the same. So I asked to be changed back to my old birth control pill, and stopped taking my diuretic BP pills cold turkey. It has been 3 weeks and my feet and ankles are still swelling.

Comment from: mags, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I have severe pitting edema (for almost 1 year) and I have had a battery of tests, all with no shown causes for the edema. Sodium levels are normal, echocardiogram is normal, Doppler studies are normal, hypertension is well controlled with ACE Inhibitor (Lisinopril) and even 80mg of Lasix (furosemide) and keeping feet elevated all the time does not help. It has been present in my legs, ankles and feet and seems to now be spreading to other areas (torso, hands and face). At this point, the prospect of an autoimmune disease or something systemic is being considered and tested for. Other than that, I have no idea what could be causing this.

Edema - Causes Question: What caused your case of edema?
Edema - Signs and Symptoms Question: In addition to swelling, what were your signs and symptoms associated with edema?
Edema - Salt Intake Question: If you've had edema, in what ways do you adjust your salt intake?
Edema - Diuretics Question: Do you take diuretics to control edema? Please discuss your experience.
Edema - Edema Experience Question: Please describe your experience with edema.