Patient Comments: Edema - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for edema?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I had non-pitting edema of my lower legs, ankles and feet. My doctor finally realized that it was a side-effect of the blood pressure medicine I was taking (Lotrel). He took me off the Lotrel and onto Benicar HCT and within several months the edema was gone. I recommend you always research the side effects of the drugs you are prescribed before you start self-diagnosing and fearing the worst.

Comment from: 311steph, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

A few months ago, my doc changed my Birth Control Pill, one week later; my BP was elevated and had pitting edema in both feet and ankles (mostly my right foot). My doc put me on a diuretic (Triamterene/Hydrochlorothiazide) for BP. I was told that Birth Control Pills didn't make your BP go up. (wrong!) After 2 months of being on the new bcp and BP meds, the swelling was the same. So I asked to be changed back to my old birth control pill, and stopped taking my diuretic BP pills cold turkey. It has been 3 weeks and my feet and ankles are still swelling.

Comment from: mags, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I have severe pitting edema (for almost 1 year) and I have had a battery of tests, all with no shown causes for the edema. Sodium levels are normal, echocardiogram is normal, Doppler studies are normal, hypertension is well controlled with ACE Inhibitor (Lisinopril) and even 80mg of Lasix (furosemide) and keeping feet elevated all the time does not help. It has been present in my legs, ankles and feet and seems to now be spreading to other areas (torso, hands and face). At this point, the prospect of an autoimmune disease or something systemic is being considered and tested for. Other than that, I have no idea what could be causing this.

Comment from: dejo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

Lasix works for me just not all the time. The problem I have with it is having to run to the bathroom every 10-15 minutes for about 3 hours! This is extremely disruptive to my work day. I can not take it at night as I can't get enough sleep. On vacation it is even harder to deal with! I am going to try compression socks too. I have tried to cut back on salt. I take medication for high blood pressure and a heart problem. I switched heart medication as the doctor thought that would help alleviate the edema.

Comment from: Golden, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I developed severe edema from re-feeding syndrome. I retained roughly 60 lbs of water. While it took/is taking a long time to come off, I found that drinking lots of green tea w/ lemon helped a lot. That and constantly moving around (be it standing while doing my work or exercising) have helped a lot.

Comment from: Singapore NCS, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

Two months ago, I notice the right foot had pitting edema. Initially I thought it is due to a sprain I had earlier, which recovered by itself. Lately, I noticed that I actually have asymmetrical Edema. The Left leg was less swollen. My health screening 2 weeks ago shown that my liver function, kidney function and ECG (at rest) were normal. I guess it could be due to venous problems?

Comment from: MeSusan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

We ruled out heart, kidney, and liver. We don't know the cause of my edema, but I began to suspect it was allergies, as it came and went as quickly as it came, but, when I was put on diuretics, I did, indeed, lose 9 pounds of water retention in one week. The diuretics didn't last long, and I had constant edema. I have now gone cold turkey on them, and have none. This says to me (and, of course I could be wrong) that I am allergic to the sulfa in diuretics.

Edema - Causes Question: What caused your case of edema?
Edema - Signs and Symptoms Question: In addition to swelling, what were your signs and symptoms associated with edema?
Edema - Salt Intake Question: If you've had edema, in what ways do you adjust your salt intake?
Edema - Diuretics Question: Do you take diuretics to control edema? Please discuss your experience.
Edema - Edema Experience Question: Please describe your experience with edema.