Patient Comments: Edema - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for edema?

Comment from: Vince, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 28

I was prescribed Lasix for edema that developed as a result of either chemotherapy or steroids. Two months later, Spironolactone was added to my regimen. I am now taking 2 Spironalactone, 25 Mg every morning for the past two weeks, and I still have significant edema from my calves to my feet.

Comment from: SAG, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I first developed edema after giving birth to my daughter 12 years ago. It started out in my left leg, ankle and foot. Now I am 38 years old and it is in both legs, ankles and feet and it is sometimes quite painful. I wake up and they're swollen; I go to bed and they're swollen. I went to a doctor a few years ago at Cedars Sinai when it was only on the left side. I had a dye test done to determine if any of my arteries where bad and/or any other problems within the body. No damaged was detected. The doctor stated that there wasn't much that could be done other than to wear a very thick, prescribed sock 24/7 to compress the swelling.

Published: July 15

Furosemide and Spironolactone have helped me with my edema for months now, and I am still on it and doing great.

Published: May 27

Lasix has helped but has stopped helping during the last three weeks.

Comment from: Trooper, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 16

My husband has liver cancer. Edema is a terrible side effect. He has been on Lasix and Aldactone with little to no effect. Green Tea with lemon and Dandelion sounds like a good way to go. Mother nature knows best! Thanks for the tips.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 09

I have been taking medication off and on only when it really is necessary. I take one tablet of Slow K and two tablets Lasix in the early mornings. This I do for one or two days and I discontinue for a couple of months and then I do it again, but this I would say is not the real cure. Slow K thins the blood, so it is easy to pass through the blood vessels. I have a heart problem or blocked blood vessels, so is why I take slow K with Lasix.

Comment from: Max777, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

What I have is edema. However, my feet have been swollen for nearly four days. I use ice cubes for about 10 minutes. The ice burning gives a feeling that the treatment is working. It does work, but the problem seems not to be going.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

The cause of edema is chronic dehydration. Although it sounds counter-productive, the key to ridding yourself of edema is by drinking water, not trying to get rid of it. The water that is being held in the body is held there because of excessive salt.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I had non-pitting edema of my lower legs, ankles and feet. My doctor finally realized that it was a side-effect of the blood pressure medicine I was taking (Lotrel). He took me off the Lotrel and onto Benicar HCT and within several months the edema was gone. I recommend you always research the side effects of the drugs you are prescribed before you start self-diagnosing and fearing the worst.

Edema - Causes Question: What caused your case of edema?
Edema - Signs and Symptoms Question: In addition to swelling, what were your signs and symptoms associated with edema?
Edema - Salt Intake Question: If you've had edema, in what ways do you adjust your salt intake?
Edema - Diuretics Question: Do you take diuretics to control edema? Please discuss your experience.
Edema - Edema Experience Question: Please describe your experience with edema.