Patient Comments: Edema - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for edema?

Comment from: Joel, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 20

I have been getting Edema in my feet up to my calves for years, the only thing odd is that it used to come and go rather quickly and I haven't had it for three months. Then all of a sudden in June I got it bad and can hardly walk, let alone can't put any shoes on. It did a lot of pitting and I just look like Donald Duck. No meds have worked, so I just am hoping it will go away eventually.

Comment from: Antionette, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 03

My elderly mother developed edema in both legs after entering a rehabilitation facility after a month-long stay in the hospital. Her legs became red and swollen and then developed blisters. The doctors have her on Lasix, but it does not seem to be working that well. The staff seems to have no idea of what to do other than Lasix. So, I may have to have her moved back to the hospital where she did not have this problem, even though she is being treated for fluid retention in the lungs.

Comment from: noel maddox, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I have edema of both feet and legs for three years. I take 40 mg of furosemide, but it does not work at home. When I am in the hospital, the swelling goes down. I try to control my salt intake and elevate my feet to no avail.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 23

I developed edema about a month ago and know all that the article said is true, except I was lucky as a Indian doctor told me to use Ginko, eight pills a day at morning, noon, dinner time and bed time. I no longer have the problem. I was also told to eliminate salt completely and it has worked for me.

Comment from: Vince, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 28

I was prescribed Lasix for edema that developed as a result of either chemotherapy or steroids. Two months later, Spironolactone was added to my regimen. I am now taking 2 Spironalactone, 25 Mg every morning for the past two weeks, and I still have significant edema from my calves to my feet.

Comment from: SAG, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I first developed edema after giving birth to my daughter 12 years ago. It started out in my left leg, ankle and foot. Now I am 38 years old and it is in both legs, ankles and feet and it is sometimes quite painful. I wake up and they're swollen; I go to bed and they're swollen. I went to a doctor a few years ago at Cedars Sinai when it was only on the left side. I had a dye test done to determine if any of my arteries where bad and/or any other problems within the body. No damaged was detected. The doctor stated that there wasn't much that could be done other than to wear a very thick, prescribed sock 24/7 to compress the swelling.

Published: July 15

Furosemide and Spironolactone have helped me with my edema for months now, and I am still on it and doing great.

Published: May 27

Lasix has helped but has stopped helping during the last three weeks.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

The cause of edema is chronic dehydration. Although it sounds counter-productive, the key to ridding yourself of edema is by drinking water, not trying to get rid of it. The water that is being held in the body is held there because of excessive salt.

Edema - Causes Question: What caused your case of edema?
Edema - Signs and Symptoms Question: In addition to swelling, what were your signs and symptoms associated with edema?
Edema - Salt Intake Question: If you've had edema, in what ways do you adjust your salt intake?
Edema - Diuretics Question: Do you take diuretics to control edema? Please discuss your experience.
Edema - Edema Experience Question: Please describe your experience with edema.