Patient Comments: Edema - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for edema?

Comment from: louis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

Last year I was diagnosed with Cellulitis (right leg was swollen, shiny, red and it actually squeaked and I was given strong anti-biotics. It flares every now and then and I am not convinced it ever went away completely. Just hit your site and noticed this condition (EDEMA) and am now not sure if this is what I have/had? Should I go back to the Doctor? Incidentally I have suffered from years from The 'Restless Leg Syndrome.' Last August I had a Morons Neuroma removed from my left foot and am experiencing pain in toes and foot in right foot. I love to walk and I work on my feet, but I suffered from aching feet as a child, especially when I sat on a chair that was too high. After work I have to lay with my legs raised as my legs twitch, ache and are unbearable, and long journeys can be embarrassing. I have taken herbal tablets for years that give me almost instant relief (NEW ERA for aching legs and feet that contain combination P tissue, salts, Calc. fluoride, calc. phosphate, mag. phosphate.

Comment from: hera, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I have swollen feet, ankles, and calves. The calves/legs are red and the swelling continues down through my toes. I have been on Furosemide 20 mg taking 2 early morning/2 early afternoon, they have not helped, I cannot go anywhere for 3 or more hours because I need a bathroom every ten minutes. I am on blood pressure medications and thyroid and cholesterol medications.

Comment from: Ole grumpy G, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have edema. When my legs swell and hurt I rub them with vinegar and get immediate relief. I never had edema until about 6 months ago.

Comment from: 7grandkids, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

Dandelion root tea has been the only thing that works for me. The excess fluids are flushed within a few hours.

Comment from: Joel, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 20

I have been getting Edema in my feet up to my calves for years, the only thing odd is that it used to come and go rather quickly and I haven't had it for three months. Then all of a sudden in June I got it bad and can hardly walk, let alone can't put any shoes on. It did a lot of pitting and I just look like Donald Duck. No meds have worked, so I just am hoping it will go away eventually.

Comment from: Antionette, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 03

My elderly mother developed edema in both legs after entering a rehabilitation facility after a month-long stay in the hospital. Her legs became red and swollen and then developed blisters. The doctors have her on Lasix, but it does not seem to be working that well. The staff seems to have no idea of what to do other than Lasix. So, I may have to have her moved back to the hospital where she did not have this problem, even though she is being treated for fluid retention in the lungs.

Comment from: noel maddox, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I have edema of both feet and legs for three years. I take 40 mg of furosemide, but it does not work at home. When I am in the hospital, the swelling goes down. I try to control my salt intake and elevate my feet to no avail.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 23

I developed edema about a month ago and know all that the article said is true, except I was lucky as a Indian doctor told me to use Ginko, eight pills a day at morning, noon, dinner time and bed time. I no longer have the problem. I was also told to eliminate salt completely and it has worked for me.

Edema - Causes Question: What caused your case of edema?
Edema - Signs and Symptoms Question: In addition to swelling, what were your signs and symptoms associated with edema?
Edema - Salt Intake Question: If you've had edema, in what ways do you adjust your salt intake?
Edema - Diuretics Question: Do you take diuretics to control edema? Please discuss your experience.
Edema - Edema Experience Question: Please describe your experience with edema.