Patient Comments: Edema - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for edema?

Comment from: johanna, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have edema in legs bad. I use Lasix 3/day, potassium 3/day, and amitriptyline at night. I also have HHT (hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia) nose bleeding often. I had many blood transfusion. I take B12, iron supplement and vitamin D. Some medical experts say amitriptyline slows down heart rate. I had all tests done heart, lungs and ultrasound of legs. I am very healthy, thin, walk a lot, but still have fluid build-up. I cannot take any blood thinners due to having HHT nose bleeds.

Comment from: tomdavis778, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 31

I have been suffering from chronic edema for 2 years now, and it has progressed through my entire body. Most days my hands are so swollen I look like I am wearing gloves, and my legs and feet are the same. I also developed brown spots / stains on my feet and legs up to my knees. I take 2 Lasix and an additional diuretic, and I am not getting relief. I have seen gastroenterologist, cardiologists, rheumatologists, and none of them can give me an answer. I have wheezing when I breathe, and shortness of breath at times, and am waiting now to see a pulmonary doctor. I am at a loss on what to do at this point.

Comment from: puzzled, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have had edema in my legs for 2 years and had all kinds of tests done but the doctors can't give a solid answer other than that gravity is doing it. Now I came down with a severe cold or flu, so I started taking antibiotics 2 days ago. Now suddenly I can see my calves and ankles again. I don't understand I'm guessing maybe I had some type of infection in my legs the whole time.

Comment from: duchess48, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

In response to the patient who used ginkgo biloba, I have read info from Kaiser that says that the herb can interfere with diabetes meds so be careful in using it. I have suffered from pitting edema in my feet and legs for a year, and the only thing Kaiser has said is to elevate them and use Lasix and keep compression on them. None of them is a permanent solution.

Comment from: louis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

Last year I was diagnosed with Cellulitis (right leg was swollen, shiny, red and it actually squeaked and I was given strong anti-biotics. It flares every now and then and I am not convinced it ever went away completely. Just hit your site and noticed this condition (EDEMA) and am now not sure if this is what I have/had? Should I go back to the Doctor? Incidentally I have suffered from years from The 'Restless Leg Syndrome.' Last August I had a Morons Neuroma removed from my left foot and am experiencing pain in toes and foot in right foot. I love to walk and I work on my feet, but I suffered from aching feet as a child, especially when I sat on a chair that was too high. After work I have to lay with my legs raised as my legs twitch, ache and are unbearable, and long journeys can be embarrassing. I have taken herbal tablets for years that give me almost instant relief (NEW ERA for aching legs and feet that contain combination P tissue, salts, Calc. fluoride, calc. phosphate, mag. phosphate.

Comment from: hera, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I have swollen feet, ankles, and calves. The calves/legs are red and the swelling continues down through my toes. I have been on Furosemide 20 mg taking 2 early morning/2 early afternoon, they have not helped, I cannot go anywhere for 3 or more hours because I need a bathroom every ten minutes. I am on blood pressure medications and thyroid and cholesterol medications.

Edema - Causes Question: What caused your case of edema?
Edema - Signs and Symptoms Question: In addition to swelling, what were your signs and symptoms associated with edema?
Edema - Salt Intake Question: If you've had edema, in what ways do you adjust your salt intake?
Edema - Diuretics Question: Do you take diuretics to control edema? Please discuss your experience.
Edema - Edema Experience Question: Please describe your experience with edema.