Patient Comments: Edema - Causes

What caused your case of edema?

Comment from: Maggie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have had edema since I was 18, my mother also suffered with this. I eat a very 'natural' diet, if I eat grains, particularly rice, my hands, feet and face swell within 20 minutes. The next morning my ankles are tight and I usually have put on 3 lb. or so. I keep off any processed foods including hams and deli goods, too much salt and preservative. I have no heart problems, and take Aldactone daily for over 30 years, if I don't the swelling moves up my legs and is painful.

Comment from: cody4175, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

I wish I knew what was causing my edema. I have flank and slight chest pain I have pitting edema on both lower legs. If I work out my chest pain doesn't get any worse, and I don't get winded. I have been going through this for 1 1/2 years. I have had chest x-rays, abdominal CT ultrasound, HIDA scan, colonoscopy, and endoscopy. All are negative. Besides a slight anemia all blood tests normal including all kidney, liver and thyroid tests. Very frustrating.

Comment from: Tamir, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 21

I had seen a urologist about waking at night, due to prostate problems, to urinate. He prescribed Minirin, which I took for 3 days. Then I happened to look down at my legs and they were enormous - true elephant legs. I stopped the Minirin immediately and the major swelling receded. But my lower legs and feet remain swollen for the first time in my life, and it seems that it will not go away.

Comment from: Florence, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I was taken to hospital and treated for hypertension. My medication was changed and amlodipine was given in place of ramipril. After two weeks in hospital I was sent home but had to go back to the emergency room for one day, suffering with severe pain and swelling in my feet and lower legs. I asked if I could go back to ramipril as I thought amlodipine was making my legs to swell. I also take other medications for atrial fibrillation and continue to do so as I have been taking these for several years.

Comment from: Rhettjd, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

My edema is caused by grains. Allergic reaction to grains causes my legs to swell and hold water. If I don't eat grains then it goes away, because I don't have hypertension, diabetes, or any of the other symptoms that are mentioned.

Comment from: friend of God, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 07

My friend had neuropathy in her feet and then started getting edema in her feet and ankles. The doctor did nothing. Recently, about 3 weeks ago, the edema travelled up into her torso and her belly was much extended and she couldn't bend her legs to do physical therapy anymore. Finally the doctor did a scan and called her to go to the emergency room immediately. Once there, she was put on diuretics and had 5 liters of water removed from her abdomen, a mere drop in the bucket. Within the week they have told her she won't recover and needs to go to hospice. She's only 53 and a couple of years ago she would be able to golf 27 holes a day. I don't understand why her doctors couldn't see she had a weak heart, or else the edema caused her to have a weak heart, don't know which, but it's heartbreaking.

Comment from: marleneanderson25@ya, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 26

My 22 year old autistic grandson eloped from home out into the cold, deep snow, in the elements for approximately 1hour 30 minutes. He was taken to hospital and treated with antibiotics and burn cream; he has painful, weeping blisters and. Twenty four to 36 hours later he is developing edema.

Edema - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for edema?
Edema - Signs and Symptoms Question: In addition to swelling, what were your signs and symptoms associated with edema?
Edema - Salt Intake Question: If you've had edema, in what ways do you adjust your salt intake?
Edema - Diuretics Question: Do you take diuretics to control edema? Please discuss your experience.
Edema - Edema Experience Question: Please describe your experience with edema.