Patient Comments: Edema - Causes

What caused your case of edema?

Comment from: Rhettjd, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

My edema is caused by grains. Allergic reaction to grains causes my legs to swell and hold water. If I don't eat grains then it goes away, because I don't have hypertension, diabetes, or any of the other symptoms that are mentioned.

Comment from: friend of God, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 07

My friend had neuropathy in her feet and then started getting edema in her feet and ankles. The doctor did nothing. Recently, about 3 weeks ago, the edema travelled up into her torso and her belly was much extended and she couldn't bend her legs to do physical therapy anymore. Finally the doctor did a scan and called her to go to the emergency room immediately. Once there, she was put on diuretics and had 5 liters of water removed from her abdomen, a mere drop in the bucket. Within the week they have told her she won't recover and needs to go to hospice. She's only 53 and a couple of years ago she would be able to golf 27 holes a day. I don't understand why her doctors couldn't see she had a weak heart, or else the edema caused her to have a weak heart, don't know which, but it's heartbreaking.

Comment from: marleneanderson25@ya, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 26

My 22 year old autistic grandson eloped from home out into the cold, deep snow, in the elements for approximately 1hour 30 minutes. He was taken to hospital and treated with antibiotics and burn cream; he has painful, weeping blisters and. Twenty four to 36 hours later he is developing edema.

Comment from: Billy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 23

Two months ago I was working on my knees. I must have knelt on something. It was painful for two days. Then the upper and lower knee started to swell. I didn't worry until the front of my calf became like putty. I went to the ER, and was diagnosed with pitting edema. They stuck in a needle to drain the swelling, which made it worse. After having an MRI, the doctors said my bursa has to be removed. Also, I have high cholesterol, and I have pain in my ankles and back.

Comment from: Georgia, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I am a 16 year old female and I developed pitting edema after being submitted to a hospital last year with a blunt abdominal injury after falling on an obstacle/low ropes course. I had an arterial liver bleed (subcapsular hematoma) with liver lacerations and I had to wear those pressure stockings for my edema.

Comment from: Anneshi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I am 34 years old female and have been having edema of my left foot since I was 16 years old. A lot of investigations have been done, nothing positive. I was once put on Lasix then Aldactone but with no improvement. The edema is worse when I sit and at the end of the day but it tends to resolve when I sleep. It has caused a lot of cosmetic changes due to the obviously bigger limb and this gives me a low self-esteem. My blood pressure tends to be on the lower normal with a diastolic ranging of 50-70mm/hg and systolic 90-110mm/hg and hemoglobin on the higher side 12-14gm/dl. There is no evidence of DVT (deep vein thrombosis).

Comment from: Patsy32, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I have varicose veins, have had surgery twice on left leg and 3 times on right leg. Edema is worse on left leg. No doctor has said I have any heart problems. Lasix helps temporarily, but causes leg cramps. Potassium and magnesium at bed time helps. Elastic in socks causes indentation for 10 minutes or so. My varicose veins are very bad. Leg veins were so weak that laser surgery could not be done. After 4 years I still have brown discoloration under skin. Skin is very thin all over. I am 79 years old next month.

Edema - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for edema?
Edema - Signs and Symptoms Question: In addition to swelling, what were your signs and symptoms associated with edema?
Edema - Salt Intake Question: If you've had edema, in what ways do you adjust your salt intake?
Edema - Diuretics Question: Do you take diuretics to control edema? Please discuss your experience.
Edema - Edema Experience Question: Please describe your experience with edema.