Patient Comments: Edema - Causes

What caused your case of edema?

Comment from: Anneshi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I am 34 years old female and have been having edema of my left foot since I was 16 years old. A lot of investigations have been done, nothing positive. I was once put on Lasix then Aldactone but with no improvement. The edema is worse when I sit and at the end of the day but it tends to resolve when I sleep. It has caused a lot of cosmetic changes due to the obviously bigger limb and this gives me a low self-esteem. My blood pressure tends to be on the lower normal with a diastolic ranging of 50-70mm/hg and systolic 90-110mm/hg and hemoglobin on the higher side 12-14gm/dl. There is no evidence of DVT (deep vein thrombosis).

Comment from: light the candle, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 22

I just started noticing that I have pitting edema on my shins, ankles, and my feet are swelling now. When I go upstair,s my hips and legs feel like they are on fire and my heart pounds so hard.

Comment from: Kakr, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have severe anorexia and now have experienced anasarca. I currently have about 15 liters of edema. All blood tests are ok (albumins, electrolytes etc). Heart, thyroid, kidneys, OK. Diuretics make me urinate, but don't reduce the edema much.

Comment from: daintygirl, 25-34 Female Published: January 06

I am a 33 year old woman primarily in good health. I had pitting edema in my left arm and foot for the past two years. It has been a nightmare. I have had a hard time wearing pants because my left leg is so swollen that I can't get my leg in the pants. I feel like a monster because people stare at me strange. It is weird to see a woman who has a normal small leg and a large swollen leg on the same body. My swollen leg has been painful to stand on and to bend my leg. People think I have lymphedema, but I never had cancer. I got a little burn on my left leg that months later caused it to be pitting edema. Doctors I had talked about to don't much about it. After reading on this site, I am thinking maybe my pitting edema is caused by heart or kidney disease. It has been very frustrating over the past two years. Hopefully I will be able to find some help for my painful, swollen leg soon.

Comment from: jscenic, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I had a spider bite Aug 2010 on my right calf that caused staph infection instantly. 6 months later experiencing pain, pressure, numbness in entire calf of leg. Very hard to find a doctor to help! Doctors I have seen for this, Specialist: Pain management, Physical Therapy, Infectious Disease, Neurologist, Dermatologist, and Orthopedic. Orthopedic requested MRI and found skin thickening and edema to area. I am now seeing Orthopedic for this problem. I was surprised how many specialists have not run into this medical problem before. I am sure with the amount of spiders/people I am not the 1st.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I have had intermittent edema observed in the feet and ankles following a prostate removal.

Comment from: alice, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

My husband has edema on both legs with weeping ulcers. He had edema therapy for three months and his swelling and ulcers went away. Hand stimulation to the lymph nodes going up the leg on pinpoint lump lobes. It worked with no medication taken. Of course he has to wear support hose for edema. At first I thought it wouldn't work, but it did. This therapist has been doing this therapy for 11 years.

Edema - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for edema?
Edema - Signs and Symptoms Question: In addition to swelling, what were your signs and symptoms associated with edema?
Edema - Salt Intake Question: If you've had edema, in what ways do you adjust your salt intake?
Edema - Diuretics Question: Do you take diuretics to control edema? Please discuss your experience.
Edema - Edema Experience Question: Please describe your experience with edema.