Patient Comments: Edema - Causes

What caused your case of edema?

Comment from: daintygirl, 25-34 Female Published: January 06

I am a 33 year old woman primarily in good health. I had pitting edema in my left arm and foot for the past two years. It has been a nightmare. I have had a hard time wearing pants because my left leg is so swollen that I can't get my leg in the pants. I feel like a monster because people stare at me strange. It is weird to see a woman who has a normal small leg and a large swollen leg on the same body. My swollen leg has been painful to stand on and to bend my leg. People think I have lymphedema, but I never had cancer. I got a little burn on my left leg that months later caused it to be pitting edema. Doctors I had talked about to don't much about it. After reading on this site, I am thinking maybe my pitting edema is caused by heart or kidney disease. It has been very frustrating over the past two years. Hopefully I will be able to find some help for my painful, swollen leg soon.

Comment from: jscenic, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I had a spider bite Aug 2010 on my right calf that caused staph infection instantly. 6 months later experiencing pain, pressure, numbness in entire calf of leg. Very hard to find a doctor to help! Doctors I have seen for this, Specialist: Pain management, Physical Therapy, Infectious Disease, Neurologist, Dermatologist, and Orthopedic. Orthopedic requested MRI and found skin thickening and edema to area. I am now seeing Orthopedic for this problem. I was surprised how many specialists have not run into this medical problem before. I am sure with the amount of spiders/people I am not the 1st.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I have had intermittent edema observed in the feet and ankles following a prostate removal.

Comment from: alice, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

My husband has edema on both legs with weeping ulcers. He had edema therapy for three months and his swelling and ulcers went away. Hand stimulation to the lymph nodes going up the leg on pinpoint lump lobes. It worked with no medication taken. Of course he has to wear support hose for edema. At first I thought it wouldn't work, but it did. This therapist has been doing this therapy for 11 years.

Published: March 01

The cause is yet unknown, recent blood work ruled out heart related issues. My concern is that it is related to kidney's, as I have had left side flank pain and the peripheral edema on three different occasions over the last year. A course of lasix relieved the edema and SOB last year. Waiting for answers, now blistering and leaking sero/sang fluid.

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 25

My edema started when I cracked a bone in my left ankle (driving a golf cart with my left foot hanging out, hit a root along the cart trail); now, 5 months later, my left foot, ankle and calf are swollen up to my knee; my right foot and ankle are also swollen but not nearly as much as the left. I used to get a little swelling of my ankles from time to time, but walking seemed to get rid of it. My doctor has me trying different BP meds to see if one may work better than the lisinopril I have been taking for years. We shall see.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I also have excessive pitting edema feet to knees. They claim it's my thyroid doing this but I know better since my thyroid was fine when it first started. Lowering my salt intake helps. Then I can fit into shoes.

Comment from: Thomas, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 04

I have had pitting edema in both my legs from the feet almost up to the knees. Also have swelling in the arms and facial area. I have had every test done imaginable and nothing shows up. They say everything is fine but I know for a fact there is something wrong. You don't retain fluid for no apparent reason. I have suggested having a biopsy done to my doctor and all they say it's a waste of time and resources. I have been on Lasix and Slow K for over 5 years and nothing seems to help. I go to bed at night and can weigh approximately 240 and wake up and I'll be 9 or 10 pounds heavier. Nothing seems to help diets with no salt don't help either. So I am at my wits end making 20 trips to the toilet every day.

Edema - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for edema?
Edema - Signs and Symptoms Question: In addition to swelling, what were your signs and symptoms associated with edema?
Edema - Salt Intake Question: If you've had edema, in what ways do you adjust your salt intake?
Edema - Diuretics Question: Do you take diuretics to control edema? Please discuss your experience.
Edema - Edema Experience Question: Please describe your experience with edema.