Patient Comments: Edema - Causes

What caused your case of edema?

Comment from: Billy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 23

Two months ago I was working on my knees. I must have knelt on something. It was painful for two days. Then the upper and lower knee started to swell. I didn't worry until the front of my calf became like putty. I went to the ER, and was diagnosed with pitting edema. They stuck in a needle to drain the swelling, which made it worse. After having an MRI, the doctors said my bursa has to be removed. Also, I have high cholesterol, and I have pain in my ankles and back.

Comment from: Georgia, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I am a 16 year old female and I developed pitting edema after being submitted to a hospital last year with a blunt abdominal injury after falling on an obstacle/low ropes course. I had an arterial liver bleed (subcapsular hematoma) with liver lacerations and I had to wear those pressure stockings for my edema.

Comment from: Patsy32, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I have varicose veins, have had surgery twice on left leg and 3 times on right leg. Edema is worse on left leg. No doctor has said I have any heart problems. Lasix helps temporarily, but causes leg cramps. Potassium and magnesium at bed time helps. Elastic in socks causes indentation for 10 minutes or so. My varicose veins are very bad. Leg veins were so weak that laser surgery could not be done. After 4 years I still have brown discoloration under skin. Skin is very thin all over. I am 79 years old next month.

Comment from: usahmbert, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I have been suffering from edema on my legs and stomach and arms and face now for 3 months and the doctor I go to doesn't seem to care. I was wondering if I went and got an IV of saline if it would flush my body's edema. My stomach looks pregnant and I am having asthma problems. My neighbor asked if I could take Lasiks and I think I am going to try. It is so bad I can't walk and it hurts my tight skin and feet. I did break my ankles and a leg and part of my foot but the edema is in the legs and everywhere else. I'm desperate. My belly is so swollen that I can't bend over. I look 9 months pregnant and can't even bend over. It is affecting my breathing and I am out of shape due to many surgeries and lying in a chair. I do get up and do daily chores but find that I have to sit with my feet propped by the middle of the day. It won't go away with the 2 natural diuretics I am on. Please help!

Comment from: Anneshi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I am 34 years old female and have been having edema of my left foot since I was 16 years old. A lot of investigations have been done, nothing positive. I was once put on Lasix then Aldactone but with no improvement. The edema is worse when I sit and at the end of the day but it tends to resolve when I sleep. It has caused a lot of cosmetic changes due to the obviously bigger limb and this gives me a low self-esteem. My blood pressure tends to be on the lower normal with a diastolic ranging of 50-70mm/hg and systolic 90-110mm/hg and hemoglobin on the higher side 12-14gm/dl. There is no evidence of DVT (deep vein thrombosis).

Comment from: light the candle, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 22

I just started noticing that I have pitting edema on my shins, ankles, and my feet are swelling now. When I go upstair,s my hips and legs feel like they are on fire and my heart pounds so hard.

Comment from: Kakr, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have severe anorexia and now have experienced anasarca. I currently have about 15 liters of edema. All blood tests are ok (albumins, electrolytes etc). Heart, thyroid, kidneys, OK. Diuretics make me urinate, but don't reduce the edema much.

Edema - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for edema?
Edema - Signs and Symptoms Question: In addition to swelling, what were your signs and symptoms associated with edema?
Edema - Salt Intake Question: If you've had edema, in what ways do you adjust your salt intake?
Edema - Diuretics Question: Do you take diuretics to control edema? Please discuss your experience.
Edema - Edema Experience Question: Please describe your experience with edema.