Patient Comments: Edema - Signs and Symptoms

In addition to swelling, what were your signs and symptoms associated with edema?

Comment from: kattbonz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I did not know I had edema until I kept calling the doctors trying to find out why my potassium was staying severely low and why whenever I crossed my legs, indentation stayed for several seconds. The nurse told me I had pitting edema, after three years of begging for answers no one can tell me why my body cannot keep potassium. I have rods and screws in my back and live in chronic pain.

Comment from: olga, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have pitting edema on my feet and legs. They are very tender and sore to the touch.

Comment from: J, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I have edema in my left foot when I am at rest or at play. I feel numbness, tingling, and achy.

Comment from: willmorris, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 09

The first symptom I had was trouble breathing, especially in the shower.

Comment from: Gate, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

Nothing special happened except that I was going up my stairs and it seems harder on my knees. So, as the week went by, I noticed swollen ankles and calves, along with an ache in my left toes.

Edema - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for edema?
Edema - Causes Question: What caused your case of edema?
Edema - Salt Intake Question: If you've had edema, in what ways do you adjust your salt intake?
Edema - Diuretics Question: Do you take diuretics to control edema? Please discuss your experience.
Edema - Edema Experience Question: Please describe your experience with edema.