- Heart Disease (Coronary Artery Disease) Slideshow Pictures
- Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow: Causes, Tests and Treatment
- Take the Heart Disease Quiz!
- Patient Comments: Edema - Effective Treatments
- Patient Comments: Edema - Causes
- Patient Comments: Edema - Signs and Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Edema - Salt Intake
- Patient Comments: Edema - Diuretics
- Patient Comments: Edema - Edema Experience
- Find a local Internist in your town
- Edema definition and facts
- What is edema?
- What is pitting edema and how does it differ from non-pitting edema?
- What is a pitting edema measurement scale?
- What does pitting edema look like (picture)?
- What causes pitting edema?
- Does salt intake affect edema?
- What causes edema during pregnancy?
- What kind of doctors treat edema?
- Why does a person with heart disease retain fluid?
- Why do people with liver disease develop ascites and edema?
- Why do people with kidney disease have pitting edema?
- What causes pitting edema by heavy loss of protein in the urine?
- What medications treat pitting edema caused by heavy loss of protein in the urine?
- What causes pitting edema in people with impaired kidney (renal) function?
- What is idiopathic edema?
- What is the treatment for idiopathic edema?
- What is the treatment for patients with idiopathic edema who have become dependent on diuretics?
- How does venous insufficiency cause edema?
- Which diuretics are used to treat edema?
- Do people taking diuretics need a diet high in potassium?
- Are diuretics used for other diseases or conditions?
Quick GuideSurprising Reasons for Weight Gain
Are diuretics used for other diseases or conditions?
Diuretics have several other uses in addition treating edema.
- A diuretic may be used as part of the treatment program for patients with hypertension. (High blood pressure may be caused by salt retention, or caused by some antihypertensive medications). Most medications that dilate the blood vessels and reduce blood pressure, except for ACE inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers, lead to secondary salt retention by the kidneys.
- Thiazide diuretics also have been used to prevent the formation of kidney stones. These drugs reduce the urinary excretion of calcium, which is a component of the kidney stone.
- Acetazolamide (Diamox) taken a few days before going to high altitudes, appears to reduce the tendency for people to develop altitude sickness.
American Academy of Ophthalmology. "What Is Macular Edema?" Dec 01, 2010. <http://www.aao.org/eye-health/diseases/what-is-macular-edema>
Benjamin, K. D., BS. "Conservative Management of Acute Scrotal Edema." 2014.
Hereditary Angioedema Association. "HAE - the disease." 2016.
O'Sullivan, S.B., et al. "Pitting Edema - measurement." 2007. 14 June 2016
Todhunter, Emily, M. "Clinical Nutrition: Edema." Jul 23, 2012.