Patient Comments: Eczema - Experience

Please describe your experience with Eczema.

Comment from: Jen , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I have had eczema for about 10 years. I have tried cortisone creams, which help relieve the itching, but only go so far. Recently, I discovered that plain old aloe vera helps to bring my break outs down. I apply it frequently and keep a bottle of it at home and at work, but it really makes a difference. Now I only have to apply the cortisone cream about once a week, or if I get a super bad break out from the weather changes. In general, this helps limit against that and keeps my skin looking wonderfully healthy!

Comment from: Aysima, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

My eczema started two months ago when I moved into my flat. I was so stressed out that my body was shaking, and I had a nosebleed. A few days later, I had rashes on my chest and face, then my neck and the inside of my elbows. I avoided going out of the house, and got upset. My skin got red, ugly, dry and itchy. I found out its genetic, if someone in the family has asthma or allergies, you are more likely to have them too, plus the eczema. It's probably caused by stress, diet or allergies. Get an allergy test done, so you know if you need to change your diet or not. I am still waiting for my allergy test. I would also advice a traditional healer, cupping. It's healthy; a bit weird, but it does make you feel better, and it is good for your body.

Comment from: Sharon, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 07

From our experience with our now 15-year-old son, it was difficult to diagnose. He saw several doctors over several years and was finally diagnosed with eczema a few weeks ago. He has several areas involved including his scalp, arms, back, and legs. The legs tend to break out due to temperature change and stress. His arms and back are much better since we started using a strong moisturizer. His scalp has flare-ups. That's what I call them. As long as we use the Loprox shampoo at least once a week and follow with a moisturizer, and then use the Olux (topical steroid) at least once a week, it seems to be under control. Talk about “high maintenance!”

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I have suffered from extreme eczema for years. I did not have a clear patch of skin on my hands and my nails were nothing but ridges and bumps. I started taking Periostat for another condition and it almost completely healed my eczema and my nails are back to normal. Only my dentist can prescribe Periostat. I called the drug company to report my findings and they said, yes, we know. Why isn't it out there in the medical community for all to know. I really suffered for over 20 yrs and one simple pill - Periostat - has almost completely cured me.

Published: July 15

I grew up with these (seasonal) nasty breakouts of tiny, fine bumps when scratched, would turn into blistering sores and then into patches of dry, flaky, itchy skin. I visited dermatologists who told me it was everything from eczema to tinea versicolor and prescribed everything from clobetasol to plain Cortizone. I happened upon a fellow co worker who noticed a fresh outbreak on the inside of my elbow and suggested I try Selsun Blue. To my amazement and relief, the outbreak was cleared up in a matter of 4 days no reoccurrence in weeks. I'm not sure if what I have is eczema or not, but Selenium sulfide 1% (the active ingredient of Selsun Blue) did the trick. If you've tried 'everything else' to no avail, give this a try...what do you have to lose? My treatment was: apply the shampoo sparingly to the affected area and leave on overnight wash it off in the morning. If you are more sensitive, leave on 30 minutes to 2 hours and rinse off. Good luck!

Published: July 09

I was bitten by a mosquito when i was young and I guess they got infected and when I had pneumonia, at age 9, had full blown eczema all over my body and kept getting infections and scales, and now at age 35 have scars to prove it and well still have dryness spots and my face is always dry. I gave up going to doctors because they said they can't do anything to it and I have tried every medicine possible. Trying to cure it or with meds is hard, so I gave up.

Published: June 30

I have had eczema all my life, can cope with it even though I am typing this wearing cotton gloves as I used an emollient on my hands. A book to read is, “The Eczema Solution.” I wear a titanium watch.

Eczema - Treatment Question: What treatment has been effective for your eczema?
Eczema - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were your eczema symptoms and signs?
Eczema - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with eczema.
Eczema - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have been effective for your eczema?