Patient Comments: Eczema - Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your eczema?

Comment from: rd, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I've suffered from eczema since my mid-30s, primarily on my forehead, eyebrows, and facial hairline. I've tried countless OTC creams, high-end department store treatments, and prescription topical creams and oral medications, only to find that flare-ups return after a certain period. By accident, I was visiting a friend and used their Eucerin Professional Repair (Extremely Dry Skin Lotion). To my surprise, my dry patches immediately cleared and the redness softened. It's been six months, and none of my symptoms have returned. I'm amazed – I spent about $8 and my skin looks good. I hope this helps out others.

Comment from: zmer@cogeco.ca, 65-74 Female Published: April 15

As a child, I was hospitalized with eczema. Back then, they didn't know how to treat it and certainly didn't have much knowledge about allergies. There were times I thought I would go insane with the itch. Through the years, I saw dermatologists, tried cortisone creams, took prednisone by mouth, etc. My doctor even discontinued my allergy shots, thinking that the serum might be aggravating my condition. A doctor from the United Kingdom suggested that I try evening primrose oil. I took 500 mg three times a day for a month and it was like a miracle. Within 3-4 weeks, my skin had improved and I felt so much better. That was 30 years ago and every day since then, I take one capsule twice a day without fail. I've never had a flare-up since that time.

Comment from: hsks193, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I have had eczema in my ears for 12 years now. It wasn't diagnosed as eczema until five years ago. I have used all sorts of oils, lotions, creams and drops in my ears to control the itch, inflammation, burning and pain. Four years ago I was diagnosed with Angioedema (hives that form under the skin--very painful!). I have used corticosteroids for my ears. Currently, I am in between drops that work/don't work. I take Atarax and prednisone to help relieve the pain and itching. But my canals still swell to the point that I feel like I have a serious ear or sinus infection on that side of my head. I feel like there is no cure for eczema--just ways to lessen the symptoms.

Comment from: rslaun09, Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I am 20 years old now and I've had eczema for a long time. I didn't ever have it as an infant but when I got to the age of about 11 years old I developed rashes of the inside of my elbows. Within the last 3 years it's been appearing on the back of my knees, inside of my thighs and behind my ears. I use a cream that my doctor prescribed and I bathe every other day to allow my skin to re-oil itself and when I do bathe I use an oatmeal and shea butter body wash from St. Ives. It appears most often in winter months. I find that during the summer, or any time that sweat collects on my skin I get extremely itchy. I will often scratch at night and I can't control it. I wish there was a permanent solution but for now I will continue to look for more effective treatments.

Comment from: caren deleon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I noticed I experienced scally dry skin, especially on the hair above my eyes, inside my ears, at the back of my ears, and now I found I have it on my hand. It's like a dandruff.

Comment from: shawyne, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 17

I have noticed a change in my child's skin when I put a water softener on the shower head. I apply Noxzema all over the skin including face before he showers. That took away his itching and sores.

Comment from: CompletelyFrustrated, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I was recently diagnosed with vasculitis on my legs. While undergoing treatment with prednisone, my face began to break out. At first I thought it was acne as it is a side effect of the prednisone, only to recently learn it is eczema. Another lovely side effect from the vasculitis. It is on my chin and runs up both sides of my nose. I have tried everything I can think of. It wakes me at night itching terribly. I am concerned because of how close it is to my eye.

Eczema - Treatment Question: What treatment has been effective for your eczema?
Eczema - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were your eczema symptoms and signs?
Eczema - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with eczema.
Eczema - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have been effective for your eczema?