Patient Comments: Eczema - Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your eczema?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I have suffered from eczema all of my life. I too experienced embarrassing treatment from kids as a child because of the breakouts on my hands, arms and legs. My brother would call me awful names and I was so self conscious for years. However, in my early adult years I came across a homeopathic treatment/remedy - Pau D'Arco. For me it worked very well. It's not an instant remedy as it is a blood cleanser, so it needs to build up in your system. My body initially responded with the worse breakout ever as the herb was cleansing my body and as a result the eczema was extracting as well. However after about 2 months, I saw a noticeable improvement and 20+ years later I don't even need to take the herb every day as my system is totally fine and occasionally I will take it 1 - 3 times per week. This time of year is difficult as I haven't needed to take it in 3 months but the increase in temperature triggers breakouts, so I will start on a light regimen of Pau D'Arco and I should be eczema free in a week for as long as I want to be free of it. I hope this helps you too.

Comment from: Barbara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I have determined that my eczema is a reaction to foods. I have started on a gluten free diet and have found my skin healing almost immediately. A few more things that have reactions are milk and soy. By an elimination diet, you can see what can be eaten and what can't. It's not fun but I had to have some relief and I found it this way. Hope this helps for someone else.

Comment from: shadi, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 02

I have heard that eczema is related to a shortage of vitamin D and calcium. I was cured very simply and incredibly by calcium and magnesium tablets. I also think that psoriasis might be related to gathering poisons in the body because the liver can't work well. I think drinking lots of water, eating carrots, and taking flaxseed oil supplements along with omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins A, B, D, and E are also helpful.

Comment from: tasty, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 07

I've had these red bumps on my forearms ever since I was 13 or 14, now almost 20 I still get them, sometimes it's just a few then sometimes it's a little worse. It drives me insane, I don't understand why I get them I had acne from 12-16 my acnes gone but these stupid things won't go away. Like what can I do cause I'm not going to keep on going living with this it's like I have one problem after another and I'm getting sick and tired dealing with everything, if I can't live normal as I would like, I no longer want to live with problem after problem.

Comment from: lexi, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I'm fifteen, and I've had eczema as long as I can remember. When I was little, my mom used to bath me in oatmeal or baking soda (one or the other, not at the same time), and I remembered those always helped. Now that I'm older, it's mostly my problem. I use cortisone creams to help relieve the itching, and Benadryl helps on days when it's really bad, because it keeps me up some nights. One of the most amazing things I've found is soap from the store Lush, called "13 Soap". It smells like Italian food because it has oregano oil and rose extract, and it helps to relive the rashes on the back of my knees and inside my elbows amazingly.

Comment from: LiveLifeDancinInRain, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I've had eczema since I was two. I am now fourteen years old, and I still have it. And I only learned how to actually spell the word 'eczema' earlier this year. In any case, I've been through treatments my entire life- western, but mostly Chinese (in which case, several of them tasted like the equivalent of gym socks, dead fish, road kill, and god knows what else). Recently, when I turned thirteen and went to the Caribbean, I found that salt water helped. I swam for six hours every day in one week. By the time I was gone, it was mostly cured. I'd also been treating myself with a mix of water and chlorophyll. It tasted slightly of mint. I also had fish oil pills. (Don't look at the ingredients). Aloe didn't help for me. Every time I put my hands in to wash the dishes or crack eggs, my fingers would go berserk, but either way, aquatics helped.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

When I was a teenager growing up in Murfreesboro, TN (or a little younger), I would get these rashes that itched on my feet, which is now eczema. That's the only place I would get Eczema is on my feet. I use to ride horses and would wear thick socks and cowboy boots all summer long. As I became an adult and married I had to work and could no longer ride horses. I still got eczema on my feet. The Dermatology Department at the Nashville, TN VA gave me a steroid tape to place on my sores to help them heal. It didn't stop the eczema, but the tape made my sores go away quicker. However, in 2010 and even now in summer of 2011, I have not had any outbreaks of eczema. I don't wear socks that much either. I don't work since I am retired.

Eczema - Treatment Question: What treatment has been effective for your eczema?
Eczema - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were your eczema symptoms and signs?
Eczema - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with eczema.
Eczema - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have been effective for your eczema?
Eczema - Types Question: What type of eczema did you have, and what causes eczema?