Patient Comments: Eczema - Experience

Please describe your experience with eczema.

Comment from: Eczema, Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I started having skin problems about 5 years ago, eczema/dermatitis. During the flare-ups the feeling is just horrible! Throughout all those years I've used a lot of different steroidal and hormonal creams, some of them do help to control the periods of flare-ups, but the side effects are just terrifying for the long term use. Recently I found cream Eczur, works practically as effective as prescription creams, but the good part it doesn't have any steroidal and hormonal elements in it! I also using it on my children as for pampers rash, and mosquito bites! Hope it will help!

Comment from: AT, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I cured eczema by avoiding nightshades. I finally found a cure by realizing that eczema is a reaction to certain foods or chemicals. I've had eczema for as long as I could remember and it wasn't until recently that I figured out nightshades (peppers, eggplant, and tomatoes) were the source of my skin irritations. Since then, I've been eczema-free. Start by eliminating certain foods after a rash occurs so that you can figure out what to avoid. I wish a doctor had told me that simple truth a long time ago, but then again, most are in the business of making money, not giving permanent cures. A lot, if not all things can be healed naturally. To cure it, it's not about putting ointments or shea butter on it, those only mask the symptoms- with eczema; it is simply about eliminating substances you react to.

Published: July 22

My eczema began a year ago. It started with a rash around both eyes that were unbearably itchy and developed into what I guess would be one of the extreme forms of this condition. Every morning I would wake up with my eyes crusted shut, and sores that built up around my cheeks that would ooze all day. I consulted a dermatologist and my two primary care doctors, but all of the lotions, ointments and pills that they prescribed me didn't help. It came to a point where I actually became clinically depressed for a while and refused to step out of the house with my face looking as it did. At this point, patches also developed around my elbows. Things only started to turn for me when I combined the advice of my family. I started to use Cocoa Butter lotion generously. I also visited a Chinese herbal doctor at the urging of my grandmother. It was something that I was skeptical about but at that point I was desperate enough to try anything. The herbal tea that they brewed for me was absolutely vile, but it really did help to clear my skin. About a month after I kept this routine up, my cheeks were no longer oozing and the area around my eyes was clear. Today, my cheeks are still flare up with little red bumps and I have quite a bit of dryness and flaking. I'm currently using Locoid Lipocream to control the last traces of redness and irritation. I also make sure I moisturize well everyday and it's working really well in smoothing out my skin.

Comment from: Kyle Grisdale, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

I have suffered with Eczema all my life and I'm hoping one day maybe I could grow out of it. I've been prescribed with over 20 different types of creams and ointments but the condition would only be controlled for a time then return to be inflamed and itchy again, so I decided to see my GP once again and I was prescribed with 'Hydromal Emollient', 'Dermol 600 Bath Emollient' and also 'hydrocortisone'. I created a routine for myself by taking an antihistamine in the morning, then using the Dermol Emollient in the bath. I used Hydrocortisone until my inflamed skin was soothed then I kept it covered with Hydromal emollient to keep the skin moist and soft. This routine worked. Just remember stick to the routine and the condition will be kept at bay. I hope my experience has helped others who suffer from Eczema.

Published: July 09

My eczema started in my late teens and would probably be described as mild to moderate in severity. I get it on my face, upper arms, neck and chest and it seems to flare up along with my hormones. I've always used Cortizone until a few months ago when I started using "Dermarest" for rosacea on my face and I noticed that it seems to have cleared up my facial eczema. Also, a friend at work suggested that I try “Steven's Creme" asks your pharmacist if you can't find it on the shelf. It has really improved the skin on my arms. No more dry red patches on my skin, I haven't had this much success in 15 years of trying to treat my skin. Maybe someone can benefit from my trial and error.

Comment from: itchygranny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

The itching wakes me up at night. The itching never stops. Sometimes it itches in four places at once and in places where it is very impolite to scratch. I have permanent eczema patches in my scalp, thumb creases, and left ear. I have been to four doctors, and they prescribe cortisone creams which work if applied consistently. Having this grease in my hair is disgustingly unfashionable. Worse yet, the itching and swelling increase exponentially when the temp is above 80 degrees F. One doctor told me to go live in a colder climate. I am a prisoner to air conditioning. I am retired, so I am able to go northward to spend summers. This whole thing runs my life.

Eczema - Treatment Question: What treatment has been effective for your eczema?
Eczema - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were your eczema symptoms and signs?
Eczema - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have been effective for your eczema?
Eczema - Types Question: What type of eczema did you have, and what causes eczema?