Patient Comments: Eczema - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your eczema?

A Doctor's View on Eczema Treatment

Read the Comment by Gary W. Cole, MD, FAAD

Eczema treatment depends upon the type of skin inflammation, whether it's atopic dermatitis, allergic contact dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis, irritant dermatitis, or stasis dermatitis. Basic home remedies include the application of cool compresses of diluted vinegar or tap water to the affected area followed by evaporation. With chronic eczema, it may be necessary administer UV light or apply topical steroids followed by cream or moisturizer. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: marty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I had an outbreak of eczema and all topical creams only made it spread and get worse. It spread over my arms and legs. I was put on Protozone for 10 days. This caused me to swell up so much my skin would begin to drain fluid and the eczema returned with a vengeance; it not only spread to my stomach but my back. My doctor gave me another treatment. When I went to pick it up at the pharmacy the pharmacist took one look at me and said she would not give me the treatment as I was in such bad condition I needed to 'sleep' on my dermatologist's door step to make sure I was seen. When I arrived, my dermatologist wanted to up the dose of Protozone. I was not going to go on it again. I found a naturalist and he put me on two cleanses as he realized no matter what was given to me my body was attacking itself and any treatment was considered bad to my body. The treatment he put me on was Mind Body Spirit Care's Detox Ultimate Inflame-Reduct shake and Body Anew cleanse multipack oral drops. I took Borage CP-240 (borage seed oil). This treatment alone gave me my energy back and cleared my skin in two weeks. I then was put on a liver cleanse, and given iodine and other vitamins to help my liver. People who saw me as I was going through this are amazed at how my skin is back to normal and I have energy again.

Comment from: Laura M., 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 06

My granddaughter has serious bouts with eczema. After trying numerous prescriptions, the doctor suggested she bathe/play in a tub of water with 1/4 cup of bleach in. That settles it down for months at a time. So thankful for something that helps the little one. Hope this helps someone.

Comment from: anna nanna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

You need to let the break out dry. It sounds crazy but I rinse the eczema area with warm/hot water with clear ammonia (burns), then itchiness subsides, and also begins to dry them out quickly. When it is itching and I do not want to rinse with water I pad it with ammonia, and if oozing I get a cotton pad with coconut or other natural oil and place on rupture, but best to let it dry out. That is, for feet, before putting on socks use cotton pad with Vaseline to keep in place so socks/shoes won't rub. Another option is using sea salt with oil or water. Dilute salt well and leave on a while, this also burns, rinse, and then mix egg yolk and white and rub on. This calms the skin. Leave as long as possible then rinse, this also dries them off. Take B vitamins, drink chamomile with peppermint tea, calms body and mind for no other break out. I've heard of raw milk of goat/cow, but farm fresh and not store bought, helps. I need to try Chinese medicine Pi Fu Bing Xue Du Wan. Good luck.

Comment from: Stev, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I started having skin problems about 5 years ago, eczema/dermatitis. During the flare-ups the feeling is just horrible! Throughout all those years I've used a lot different steroidal and hormonal creams, some of them do help to control the periods of flare-ups, but the side effects are just terrifying for the long term use. Recently I found cream Eczur, works practically as effective as prescription creams, but the good part is it doesn't have any steroidal and hormonal elements in it! I am also using it on my children for diaper rash and mosquito bites! Hope it will help!

Comment from: GalintheBoonies, 19-24 (Patient) Published: March 03

I have struggled with hand dermatitis since I was 5 years old. I have found in the past year if I eat two or more clementines a day my hands start to heal. I have been testing this out on myself for the past 6 months and have noticed when I skip a week of eating them my dry itchy skin reverts. I hope this works for others too, I currently have no new sores and my dry skin has receded to the size of a quarter from being the length of my whole hand.

Comment from: FoamyGirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had a bad case of eczema all over both hands for years. Around 6 years ago, I started using Dial Foam hand soap. Within a couple weeks, the eczema disappeared and has not been back. I had tried several creams that worked but had to always be reapplied. But nothing has worked like foaming hand soap. And it has to be foam; liquid soap, which I had been using for at least 10 years prior, did not work. At least for me, this was a total cure. I have not used any prescription creams or anything else since.

Eczema - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were your eczema symptoms and signs?
Eczema - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with eczema.
Eczema - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have been effective for your eczema?
Eczema - Types Question: What type of eczema did you have, and what causes eczema?