Patient Comments: Eczema - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your eczema?

Comment from: Stev, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I started having skin problems about 5 years ago, eczema/dermatitis. During the flare-ups the feeling is just horrible! Throughout all those years I've used a lot different steroidal and hormonal creams, some of them do help to control the periods of flare-ups, but the side effects are just terrifying for the long term use. Recently I found cream Eczur, works practically as effective as prescription creams, but the good part is it doesn't have any steroidal and hormonal elements in it! I am also using it on my children for diaper rash and mosquito bites! Hope it will help!

Comment from: GalintheBoonies, 19-24 (Patient) Published: March 03

I have struggled with hand dermatitis since I was 5 years old. I have found in the past year if I eat two or more clementines a day my hands start to heal. I have been testing this out on myself for the past 6 months and have noticed when I skip a week of eating them my dry itchy skin reverts. I hope this works for others too, I currently have no new sores and my dry skin has receded to the size of a quarter from being the length of my whole hand.

Comment from: Andy40, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 22

I have had eczema for about 15 years. I am highly allergic to poison ivy also. The only treatment that works for me is to rub apple cider vinegar on the eczema. It may take several days, but it slowly clears it. Drinking a mixture of half water and half apple cider vinegar helps too.

Comment from: soccer, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: November 22

My 10-year-old son developed eczema on his shins and the tops of his feet after a week-long soccer tournament where he lived in shin guards and sweaty soccer socks. The rash was very red and inflamed all over his feet and shins. After a few years of medications, creams, and environmental changes, the eczema started to get better. Then after about a year it started to reappear again. This time not only was it on his legs and feet but also on his arms and a little on his chest and back. At the end of a dermatologist visit, she casually said he might want to get some sun on his legs and feet. The next day he went outside to wash the car with his dad and he wore shorts and no shoes. The very next day his legs and feet were 50% better. Regular sun exposure for the rest of that summer kept the eczema at bay. During the following winter months, it started to reappear again. I had the thought to send him to a tanning salon. He went three to four times/week the first two weeks to get it under control and one time/week the rest of the winter and that seemed to do the trick. Now, I know you have to be careful with tanning salons, so when he goes he only goes 10 minutes or less each time. It is December of this year and the rash is reappearing. I will be sending him to the salon again. That is what works for us.

Comment from: SarahJ, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

My eczema started on my hands while I was in cosmetology school. I believe the chemicals I was exposed to triggered it. To control my eczema, I always carry cortisone on me. At night, I apply vasoline to my hands and wear regular winter gloves to bed. Also, tanning two or three times has helped majorly. The UV light seems to help it. I hope this helps!

Eczema - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were your eczema symptoms and signs?
Eczema - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with eczema.
Eczema - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have been effective for your eczema?