Patient Comments: Eczema - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your eczema?

A Doctor's View on Eczema Treatment

Read the Comment by Gary W. Cole, MD, FAAD

Eczema treatment depends upon the type of skin inflammation, whether it's atopic dermatitis, allergic contact dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis, irritant dermatitis, or stasis dermatitis. Basic home remedies include the application of cool compresses of diluted vinegar or tap water to the affected area followed by evaporation. With chronic eczema, it may be necessary administer UV light or apply topical steroids followed by cream or moisturizer. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Stev, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I started having skin problems about 5 years ago, eczema/dermatitis. During the flare-ups the feeling is just horrible! Throughout all those years I've used a lot different steroidal and hormonal creams, some of them do help to control the periods of flare-ups, but the side effects are just terrifying for the long term use. Recently I found cream Eczur, works practically as effective as prescription creams, but the good part is it doesn't have any steroidal and hormonal elements in it! I am also using it on my children for diaper rash and mosquito bites! Hope it will help!

Comment from: GalintheBoonies, 19-24 (Patient) Published: March 03

I have struggled with hand dermatitis since I was 5 years old. I have found in the past year if I eat two or more clementines a day my hands start to heal. I have been testing this out on myself for the past 6 months and have noticed when I skip a week of eating them my dry itchy skin reverts. I hope this works for others too, I currently have no new sores and my dry skin has receded to the size of a quarter from being the length of my whole hand.

Comment from: FoamyGirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had a bad case of eczema all over both hands for years. Around 6 years ago, I started using Dial Foam hand soap. Within a couple weeks, the eczema disappeared and has not been back. I had tried several creams that worked but had to always be reapplied. But nothing has worked like foaming hand soap. And it has to be foam; liquid soap, which I had been using for at least 10 years prior, did not work. At least for me, this was a total cure. I have not used any prescription creams or anything else since.

Comment from: exzema girl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I have suffered from eczema my whole life it's a terrible condition it caused me a great deal of problems when I attended school I was picked on because my eczema was so bad I could not hide it covers about 90 percent of my body I still struggle everyday with eczema and have found very few med. that helps it gets painful even to lay in my bed due to my rash and at times I break out in sores I hope one day they find a cure so that people can finally find some relief.

Comment from: katpark, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

I have had eczema since I was 6 months old. Around my eyes the side of my nose, around my mouth and inside my elbows. It was so bad I was waking up in the morning with blood all over my clothing and sheets from itching in my sleep (I have very short nails, that's how hard I was scratching) I have yet to find a cure, but exposure to uv light helps. I have done almost everything out there and nothing is helping the eczema on my face. I have done allergy testing, bleach baths, oatmeal, every lotion they sell in CT, natural healing methods, olive oil creams, coconut oils, teas, fish oils (which I still take) vitamin supplements, everything under the sun! Nothing works, and cortisone creams from my dermatologist make things worse, and it burns so badly I have to jump in the shower to wash it all off.

Comment from: Andy40, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 22

I have had eczema for about 15 years. I am highly allergic to poison ivy also. The only treatment that works for me is to rub apple cider vinegar on the eczema. It may take several days, but it slowly clears it. Drinking a mixture of half water and half apple cider vinegar helps too.

Comment from: soccer, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: November 22

My 10-year-old son developed eczema on his shins and the tops of his feet after a week-long soccer tournament where he lived in shin guards and sweaty soccer socks. The rash was very red and inflamed all over his feet and shins. After a few years of medications, creams, and environmental changes, the eczema started to get better. Then after about a year it started to reappear again. This time not only was it on his legs and feet but also on his arms and a little on his chest and back. At the end of a dermatologist visit, she casually said he might want to get some sun on his legs and feet. The next day he went outside to wash the car with his dad and he wore shorts and no shoes. The very next day his legs and feet were 50% better. Regular sun exposure for the rest of that summer kept the eczema at bay. During the following winter months, it started to reappear again. I had the thought to send him to a tanning salon. He went three to four times/week the first two weeks to get it under control and one time/week the rest of the winter and that seemed to do the trick. Now, I know you have to be careful with tanning salons, so when he goes he only goes 10 minutes or less each time. It is December of this year and the rash is reappearing. I will be sending him to the salon again. That is what works for us.

Eczema - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were your eczema symptoms and signs?
Eczema - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with eczema.
Eczema - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have been effective for your eczema?
Eczema - Types Question: What type of eczema did you have, and what causes eczema?