Patient Comments: Ectopic Pregnancy - Treatments

What was the treatment for your ectopic pregnancy?

Comment from: Jsjksa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I had an ectopic pregnancy. I remember it was June 15th, 2012, our ten year anniversary. I was taking a shower getting ready to go out when I felt dizzy with a stomach pain and a severe leg cramp. I went to the emergency room telling all my symptoms. When I asked about the likelihood of an ectopic, the doctor told me he didn't think I fit into that category. I went home with the pain for two days until my obstetrician/gynecologist could see me on Monday. They did emergency surgery but were able to save my tube. My doctor said I had massive internal bleeding and I feel lucky to be alive today. I've been trying for a pregnancy ever since.

Comment from: Gray1955, 25-34 Female Published: September 28

Last year I got very sick. I had my son take me to the hospital. After 5 tubes of blood the doctor came in and told me I had sepsis. I almost died. I was also in kidney failure. Then the problem started. He asked me for a urine sample. Urinating before I got to the hospital I did not need to go and I told him I can't urinate on demand. I've been like that all my life. He left and within 10 minutes 2 nurses came in. I asked what was going on and got no answer. They the male registered nurse told my son to leave. I asked again and still got no reply. He then told the other nurse to take my pants off. I started to ask again and I felt the catheter go in me. I gave up after that. He pulled that one out and forced in another one. He was pushing it in and out yelling at me if I have a prostate problem. I told him no, I urinated before I got there. I think he was mad because he never got it in the bladder. My son came in after and I told him what they did and he asked why they did not answer me at all. The second one hurt more than the first and I had blood on my gown. They will never do that to me again. A nurse is supposed to talk to the patient and explain what they are doing. I did not get that. No cleaning, no gel, nothing. I will never let that happen to me again. Sex has never been the same.

Comment from: sanetra, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I had a ectopic pregnancy Dec 2011 I woke up to use the restroom I had the worst cramping ever could hardly stand I had blurred vision so I asked my boyfriend to call for me an Ambulance when I arrived at the ER I had an exam done blood work urine was tested went to ultrasound I got up out the bed to empty my bladder to get a vaginal ultrasound cause I wad early in my pregnancy so I passed out and woke up they took me back to my room my dr came in with fluids and explaining that I needed emergency surgery my tube had ruptured I was nervous but I went on to surgery recovery wasn't so bad but I'm blessed to be ok now that I'm home I'm having some of the worst cramping ever.

Comment from: Hopeful One, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I had an ectopic pregnancy back in 2006. I found out I was pregnant at the doctor's office after having flu like symptoms and breast tenderness/soreness. It was my 1st pregnancy and I was 21 years old. My then husband and I were very excited. One night I got up to use the bathroom and saw blood on the tissue. I didn't think too much of it because I heard from family members women can spot while pregnant, but I also noticed a knot formation on the lower left side of my abdomen. I guess it was wishing thinking, but I wanted to be pregnant so bad I ignored these warnings signs. The following afternoon I felt the worse pain I had ever felt in my life on the left side of my lower abdomen. It was a terrible shooting pain; it felt like someone was stabbing me with a knife. After an hour or so the pain subsided. My then husband came home from work I knew we had to go to the ER. The doctor asked me a few questions and I told him about the symptoms and pain I was experiencing. He looked at me with concerned eyes and left the room. Then the ER nurse came to my bed with an IV and about 12 hours later I was in surgery having my left fallopian tube removed. I was extremely saddened by the ordeal. And I became depressed. But it was truly a miracle that my fallopian tube didn't burst because I was far along in my pregnancy, about eight weeks. Now today my breasts have that same tenderness I felt five ago, I am going to go take a pregnancy test after work. If I am pregnant, I'm going straight to urgent care just to be on the safe side. I just want to encourage each and every one of you, life isn't over if you have an ectopic pregnancy or even a double one. I told myself if can't get pregnant I will adopt so that I can give a child all the love its needs even if I didn't give birth to them.

Comment from: Baby Taylor, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I had an ectopic pregnancy that ruptured my right tube requiring removal. I already have two children with very normal pregnancies with them. I never thought this would happen to me but it obviously can and did. A very painful experience I lost alot of blood and came very close to having to have a blood transfution, I had spotting at 5 weeks pregnant for about 6 days with slight period like cramping but was told it can be normal in early pregnancy I told my husband I didn't FEEL pregnant but told myself not every pregnancy is the same until 7 weeks pregnant when I had a stabbing pain in my right side like an appendix pain and I knew, in my heart I think I knew from the start something wasn't right and I did wait. Please don't hesitate like I did if you suspect anything go investigate straight away it really is a matter of life and death unfortunately!

Ectopic Pregnancy - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms and diagnosis with your ectopic pregnancy.
Ectopic Pregnancy - Diagnosis Question: Please share the events that led to a diagnosis of an ectopic pregnancy.
Ectopic Pregnancy - Risk Factors Question: Please discuss any risk factors you might have had for an ectopic pregnancy.
Ectopic Pregnancy - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ectopic pregnancy.