Patient Comments: Ectopic Pregnancy - Treatments

What was the treatment for your ectopic pregnancy?

Comment from: sanetra, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I had a ectopic pregnancy Dec 2011 I woke up to use the restroom I had the worst cramping ever could hardly stand I had blurred vision so I asked my boyfriend to call for me an Ambulance when I arrived at the ER I had an exam done blood work urine was tested went to ultrasound I got up out the bed to empty my bladder to get a vaginal ultrasound cause I wad early in my pregnancy so I passed out and woke up they took me back to my room my dr came in with fluids and explaining that I needed emergency surgery my tube had ruptured I was nervous but I went on to surgery recovery wasn't so bad but I'm blessed to be ok now that I'm home I'm having some of the worst cramping ever.

Comment from: Hopeful One, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I had an ectopic pregnancy back in 2006. I found out I was pregnant at the doctor's office after having flu like symptoms and breast tenderness/soreness. It was my 1st pregnancy and I was 21 years old. My then husband and I were very excited. One night I got up to use the bathroom and saw blood on the tissue. I didn't think too much of it because I heard from family members women can spot while pregnant, but I also noticed a knot formation on the lower left side of my abdomen. I guess it was wishing thinking, but I wanted to be pregnant so bad I ignored these warnings signs. The following afternoon I felt the worse pain I had ever felt in my life on the left side of my lower abdomen. It was a terrible shooting pain; it felt like someone was stabbing me with a knife. After an hour or so the pain subsided. My then husband came home from work I knew we had to go to the ER. The doctor asked me a few questions and I told him about the symptoms and pain I was experiencing. He looked at me with concerned eyes and left the room. Then the ER nurse came to my bed with an IV and about 12 hours later I was in surgery having my left fallopian tube removed. I was extremely saddened by the ordeal. And I became depressed. But it was truly a miracle that my fallopian tube didn't burst because I was far along in my pregnancy, about eight weeks. Now today my breasts have that same tenderness I felt five ago, I am going to go take a pregnancy test after work. If I am pregnant, I'm going straight to urgent care just to be on the safe side. I just want to encourage each and every one of you, life isn't over if you have an ectopic pregnancy or even a double one. I told myself if can't get pregnant I will adopt so that I can give a child all the love its needs even if I didn't give birth to them.

Comment from: Baby Taylor, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I had an ectopic pregnancy that ruptured my right tube requiring removal. I already have two children with very normal pregnancies with them. I never thought this would happen to me but it obviously can and did. A very painful experience I lost alot of blood and came very close to having to have a blood transfution, I had spotting at 5 weeks pregnant for about 6 days with slight period like cramping but was told it can be normal in early pregnancy I told my husband I didn't FEEL pregnant but told myself not every pregnancy is the same until 7 weeks pregnant when I had a stabbing pain in my right side like an appendix pain and I knew, in my heart I think I knew from the start something wasn't right and I did wait. Please don't hesitate like I did if you suspect anything go investigate straight away it really is a matter of life and death unfortunately!

Comment from: volleyballgirl7, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had an ectopic pregnancy in 2010 and had my left fallopian tube removed. Now every time that I get my period I get severe cramps on that side. I"m also nauseous as well this time.

Comment from: cat10, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I've had 2 ectopic pregnancies and both were very painful. My husband and I had been trying for 2 years, I went to the doctor as I has been bleeding for 10 days (my period lasts no longer than 5 days normally) she checked my stomach and sent me away saying nothing was wrong. Two weeks later I was still bleeding and in extreme pain and a bad pain in my shoulder. I went to the hospital myself and they then said it was an ectopic pregnancy and I was lucky I came in as my tube was close to bursting which can cause internal bleeding and can be fatal. As I've had 2 already doctors have advised I freeze eggs and have my tubes tied. We are going for IVF in January so fingers crossed it works. Just let all you mums out there if you experience long periods, bad cramping and shoulder pain I'd advise taking a pregnancy test, it can be fatal so act fast !

Ectopic Pregnancy - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms and diagnosis with your ectopic pregnancy.
Ectopic Pregnancy - Diagnosis Question: Please share the events that led to a diagnosis of an ectopic pregnancy.
Ectopic Pregnancy - Risk Factors Question: Please discuss any risk factors you might have had for an ectopic pregnancy.
Ectopic Pregnancy - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ectopic pregnancy.