Patient Comments: Ectopic Pregnancy - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms and diagnosis with your ectopic pregnancy.

Comment from: madonna jane, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I had an ectopic pregnancy (EP) in February 2014, I was 6 weeks pregnant. My partner and I had been trying for over a year but no luck; I had two miscarriages before the EP. It started with light cramps and spotting and because of the two miscarriages I had before I was worried of it being another so I went to the hospital and the doctor told me it was normal and sent me home like he didn't care. The next day I started getting bad back pain in my left side and wouldn't go away I went to the hospital again and they turned me away so did my general physician. After 7 days of the worst pain I've ever felt and the bleeding getting worse I went to the early pregnancy unit where they checked me out within 5 minutes of being there. They took some blood and I had an internal ultra-scan and they told me I was having an EP. I was so scared and before I knew it I was rushed to have emergency surgery to remove the baby from my left tube. I lost my left tube and left ovary. I am so grateful to the early pregnancy unit for all their help and support they gave me; I may not be here today if they didn't help. I have to stop now trying for another baby because of the risk involved. It's been 5 month now and I still get pain on my left back and pelvis. Ladies, you know your body and you know when something is wrong, as soon as you notice get it seen to. Hope this helps someone.

Comment from: Rachel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

The symptoms I had with my ectopic pregnancy were the following: spotting (sometimes clots), tenderness and pain on my left side, constipation, it felt like I had a urinary tract infection (UTI), and if I didn't have a bowel movement for two days the pain on my left side would get so bad that I had trouble standing up straight and I would also start spotting again until I had a bowel movement. I also had what felt like pressure in my rectum. I basically felt that I had to go to the bathroom constantly to relieve some pain. I went to the emergency room one night after almost passing out from the pain, but they said that it was normal and that my uterus was stretching. Only when I went for my first ultrasound at 10 weeks did they see that it was a ruptured ectopic pregnancy. Something I learned was that if you have one sided pain that hurts a lot, don't think that it's normal or believe them when they say it's a UTI, rather be sure and get an ultrasound or transvaginal ultrasound to rule out an ectopic pregnancy. Don't think you're a baby for not being able to handle the pain, get checked out!

Comment from: Mia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I found out I was pregnant about 2 weeks ago and was very happy! I have a son and had a normal pregnancy and birth with him. When I started spotting I knew something was wrong. My husband and I went to the emergency room (ER) and found out the baby was not in my uterus and that I had an ectopic pregnancy. I had been having pain in my lower stomach for a couple days but I assumed it was normal and was going to go see a doctor on my day off. Well I didn"t have to wait till then. I was given the methotrexate shot 2 days ago and have since still had pain and have not bled at all. I don"t know if anything is wrong but I know I will be back at the hospital later today. I was fortunate enough to catch it very early. I was only 5 weeks not yet 6 when I went into the ER. This hurt very much because my husband and I were trying to have another baby. But there is always hope that once all this is over we can work on having another one. I just hope I don"t have to have surgery.

Comment from: Meisgeier, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had no idea I was pregnant to begin with so on the last week of September when I thought I had started my period nothing seemed out of place. I started to notice something was wrong when my bleeding didn't stop, I went to the emergency room one night in mid-October because I started having extremely bad pain on the left side of my pelvis. That's when I found out not only was I pregnant but that I was possibly having an ectopic pregnancy. I saw my baby doctor the next day and that's when she said that I needed to have the methotrexate treatment because the embryo was in my left fallopian tube. I have one child and she was an emergency C section, my doctor said that the pelvic surgery could be what caused my ectopic pregnancy but we can't know for sure.

Comment from: Ejc, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I was very fortunate to find this forum on Saturday (2days ago) when I was suffering from strong stomach cramps unable to get up off the floor. I had received a diagnosis of a miscarriage the previous week and so I was patiently suffering a lot of pain and bleeding thinking this was just a part of the miscarriage process. After reading so many symptoms that were a match to mine on this forum I decided to have my husband call our general physician on her after hours number. In less than 10 minutes after making this decision I experienced a rush of bright red blood (maybe 3 tbsps) and passed out. It turns out this was the tube rupturing. I was rushed to hospital and later that evening I had surgery and had my tube removed. Looking back the early diagnosis of miscarriage had created a lot of confusion including amongst medical practitioners. So I was glad to mention the words ectopic pregnancy to my husband before passing out. All"s well that ends well and I"m glad to be on the mend. But many thanks to all those who described their symptoms here and beware how similar an ectopic pregnancy can look to a miscarriage. But strong cramping pains that leave you doubled over is not normal for a miscarriage.

Ectopic Pregnancy - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your ectopic pregnancy?
Ectopic Pregnancy - Diagnosis Question: Please share the events that led to a diagnosis of an ectopic pregnancy.
Ectopic Pregnancy - Risk Factors Question: Please discuss any risk factors you might have had for an ectopic pregnancy.
Ectopic Pregnancy - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ectopic pregnancy.