Patient Comments: Ectopic Pregnancy - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms and diagnosis with your ectopic pregnancy.

Comment from: Mia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I found out I was pregnant about 2 weeks ago and was very happy! I have a son and had a normal pregnancy and birth with him. When I started spotting I knew something was wrong. My husband and I went to the emergency room (ER) and found out the baby was not in my uterus and that I had an ectopic pregnancy. I had been having pain in my lower stomach for a couple days but I assumed it was normal and was going to go see a doctor on my day off. Well I didn"t have to wait till then. I was given the methotrexate shot 2 days ago and have since still had pain and have not bled at all. I don"t know if anything is wrong but I know I will be back at the hospital later today. I was fortunate enough to catch it very early. I was only 5 weeks not yet 6 when I went into the ER. This hurt very much because my husband and I were trying to have another baby. But there is always hope that once all this is over we can work on having another one. I just hope I don"t have to have surgery.

Comment from: Meisgeier, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had no idea I was pregnant to begin with so on the last week of September when I thought I had started my period nothing seemed out of place. I started to notice something was wrong when my bleeding didn't stop, I went to the emergency room one night in mid-October because I started having extremely bad pain on the left side of my pelvis. That's when I found out not only was I pregnant but that I was possibly having an ectopic pregnancy. I saw my baby doctor the next day and that's when she said that I needed to have the methotrexate treatment because the embryo was in my left fallopian tube. I have one child and she was an emergency C section, my doctor said that the pelvic surgery could be what caused my ectopic pregnancy but we can't know for sure.

Comment from: Ejc, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I was very fortunate to find this forum on Saturday (2days ago) when I was suffering from strong stomach cramps unable to get up off the floor. I had received a diagnosis of a miscarriage the previous week and so I was patiently suffering a lot of pain and bleeding thinking this was just a part of the miscarriage process. After reading so many symptoms that were a match to mine on this forum I decided to have my husband call our general physician on her after hours number. In less than 10 minutes after making this decision I experienced a rush of bright red blood (maybe 3 tbsps) and passed out. It turns out this was the tube rupturing. I was rushed to hospital and later that evening I had surgery and had my tube removed. Looking back the early diagnosis of miscarriage had created a lot of confusion including amongst medical practitioners. So I was glad to mention the words ectopic pregnancy to my husband before passing out. All"s well that ends well and I"m glad to be on the mend. But many thanks to all those who described their symptoms here and beware how similar an ectopic pregnancy can look to a miscarriage. But strong cramping pains that leave you doubled over is not normal for a miscarriage.

Comment from: _ladii, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I found out about my ectopic pregnancy in November of last year. I knew I was pregnant but I had started having really bad stomach cramps, then I started feeling really flushed so I decided to go the hospital. When the doctors did an ultrasound they couldn't find the baby and that's when they told me about ectopic pregnancy. I had surgery, they have taken out my right fallopian tube, now I'm nervous about getting pregnant again because I do not want this to happen again.

Comment from: megan78, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I have only just got out of hospital from having an ectopic pregnancy, I had my right tube removed along with it. It started out as cramps and aches on my right side then spread up my belly a tad and across my back all on the right side, the doctor said I was constipated and sent me for a scan to have my appendix looked at but it wasn't either of those things. when I got to the hospital after further testing the gynecologist found that my tube had split already and blood was leaking so I had emergency surgery to have it all removed.

Comment from: Yaya1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

It started out as mild abdominal pain. At that time I did not know I was pregnant as I had spotting and mistaken it for a period. I went to see a general physician when the abdominal pains didn't stop. He diagnosed me with chronic constipation, said it was normal in patients my age. The cramps got worse and I started having fainting spells, I collapsed at work and was taken to the hospital. An ultrasound confirmed that I was pregnant with twins however one had been ectopic and one was in my womb. I had surgery that night to remove the ectopic and thankfully I carried the other baby to full term.

Ectopic Pregnancy - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your ectopic pregnancy?
Ectopic Pregnancy - Diagnosis Question: Please share the events that led to a diagnosis of an ectopic pregnancy.
Ectopic Pregnancy - Risk Factors Question: Please discuss any risk factors you might have had for an ectopic pregnancy.
Ectopic Pregnancy - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ectopic pregnancy.