Patient Comments: Ectopic Pregnancy - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms and diagnosis with your ectopic pregnancy.

Comment from: rainybop30, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I am 29 and had an ectopic pregnancy in July (four months ago). I was five to seven weeks pregnant, which I was not even aware of. It started with each month, I would have a week of brown spotting, followed by a week of light bleeding. I just figured my hormones were off. I started having a cramping/discomfort in my left pelvic area. I took a pregnancy test, which was negative. At the beginning of July, my breasts became very tender and uncomfortable. I had a feeling something wasn't right, so I took another home pregnancy test. When it came up positive, I made sure to get to my doctor. I required emergency surgery. I did not have to have my fallopian tube or ovary removed, but since this happened, I have cramping/discomfort very similar to the ectopic pregnancy every month with menstruation. I revisited my doctor to see if this is normal following an ectopic pregnancy, and they informed me it could be from scar tissue or hormonal. I still have brown spotting for about a week followed by a normal period (usually, sometimes it is very light).

Comment from: scaredmommy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I am 23, and I had an ectopic pregnancy about two weeks ago. It started out as a really sharp pain, and I felt like I had to poop as well. It went away and then when I peed, I was spotting. It sort of felt like a urinary tract infection (UTI). I went to the emergency room, and I was given methotrexate. I hope everything is going to go well, but I'm still very afraid.

Comment from: yummy.mummy2013, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I'm not sure how how far along I am, but I did a pregnancy test 3 times and they all say I'm pregnant. About a few months ago a had an ectopic pregnancy and I was bleeding for over 3 weeks. I went to the doctors and the hospital and I wad told it came away by itself so surgery was nor needed. While I had thus ectopic pregnancy I could feel my left side was more swollen then my right. I haven't had any bleeding in this pregnancy but my left side feels more swollen then my right again.

Comment from: Tiff, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I have 3 boys and after my 3rd son I had my tubes tied and burned. Me and my husband decided not to have anymore kids. It was a Tuesday I went to work like normal got home cooked supper and when I finished I started having stomach pains. I didn't think anything about it I woke up about 12:30 in severe pain and crying I could not even walk. I got on the couch and finally fell back asleep the next morning about 6:30 I went to the ER and they told me that I was pregnant I told them they were crazy they rushed me straight to another hospital where the doctor there told me I was lucky that I came in when I did. They took me straight to surgery and I was at home by 5:30 that afternoon. My youngest son is only 3 years old. I never expected this would happen to me but it did. It was the worst pain I have ever felt. Please take this serious.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

Just one year ago, I had an ectopic pregnancy and my doctors told me there would be a slim chance that I would ever get pregnant again. Well, I just found out two weeks ago that I am, in fact, pregnant. I'm terribly nervous now because I don't know if I'm going to have another ectopic pregnancy. That worries me. Thank you for listening to my story.

Comment from: Female Published: May 20

I was 21 when I had my first ectopic pregnancy, which led to me having my right tube removed. The pain started in my tube and went up to my shoulder. The reason I am writing this is because I was told the chances of me having children were slim. Sadly, I did have six miscarriages. But in 2004, I had my wonderful little boy. Last week, the pain started again, and I was taken into the hospital. I was told I was having another ectopic pregnancy, which led to my left tube being removed. The point I am trying to make is it can have a happy ending, so don't give up.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I am 23 and found out my pregnancy was ectopic about two weeks ago. I had virtually no symptoms with mine. I had brown spotting very lightly, nothing much, but no serious abdominal pain or anything. I went for an early ultrasound because they couldn't place the due date of the baby, and that is when they found that it was ectopic. They gave me methotrexate, and my HCG levels have been going down, and are at 14,000, started at 19,000, so the doctor thinks everything will be fine. I think I was between five to seven weeks along when it was found. The side effects with the methotrexate aren't great, but they're not too bad. I just have an upset stomach and cramping.

Ectopic Pregnancy - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your ectopic pregnancy?
Ectopic Pregnancy - Diagnosis Question: Please share the events that led to a diagnosis of an ectopic pregnancy.
Ectopic Pregnancy - Risk Factors Question: Please discuss any risk factors you might have had for an ectopic pregnancy.
Ectopic Pregnancy - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ectopic pregnancy.