Patient Comments: Ectopic Pregnancy - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms and diagnosis with your ectopic pregnancy.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

Just one year ago, I had an ectopic pregnancy and my doctors told me there would be a slim chance that I would ever get pregnant again. Well, I just found out two weeks ago that I am, in fact, pregnant. I'm terribly nervous now because I don't know if I'm going to have another ectopic pregnancy. That worries me. Thank you for listening to my story.

Comment from: Female Published: May 20

I was 21 when I had my first ectopic pregnancy, which led to me having my right tube removed. The pain started in my tube and went up to my shoulder. The reason I am writing this is because I was told the chances of me having children were slim. Sadly, I did have six miscarriages. But in 2004, I had my wonderful little boy. Last week, the pain started again, and I was taken into the hospital. I was told I was having another ectopic pregnancy, which led to my left tube being removed. The point I am trying to make is it can have a happy ending, so don't give up.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I am 23 and found out my pregnancy was ectopic about two weeks ago. I had virtually no symptoms with mine. I had brown spotting very lightly, nothing much, but no serious abdominal pain or anything. I went for an early ultrasound because they couldn't place the due date of the baby, and that is when they found that it was ectopic. They gave me methotrexate, and my HCG levels have been going down, and are at 14,000, started at 19,000, so the doctor thinks everything will be fine. I think I was between five to seven weeks along when it was found. The side effects with the methotrexate aren't great, but they're not too bad. I just have an upset stomach and cramping.

Comment from: atko, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

Last year in November I had my operation for an ectopic pregnancy. It was the most excruciating pain that I ever encountered. The pain was only on the right side. The doctors said I can become pregnant again, but there is a 95% chance that it could be an ectopic pregnancy again on the left side. I doubt I'll ever be pregnant thinking of that pain.

Comment from: bettyboop1973, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

This will be my 7th time being pregnant. I've have 6 miscarriages and this will be my first ectopic! No one could find the problem. I did not experience that much pain nor did I need surgery. I was given a shot of methotrexon and started what felt like my period within less than a couple of days, was bleeding for close to 8 days, and stopped for a couple now I'm bleeding again, so I will be calling my doctor up as ASAP to find out what is going on.

Comment from: jbarber, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I was spotting blood after I had a regular period then a couple days later I was having this pain on the left side of my stomach. I took some pain reliever and the pain went away, but I was still spotting then a couple of weeks later the pain came back even worse. I then went to the ER and that is when I found out that I was pregnant in my tubes and had to have emergency surgery to remove the tube pregnancy.

Comment from: mommy of 2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

2 Months ago I had an ectopic pregnancy. I was about 10 weeks along. I had two other pregnancies before this one, and everything was fine. I have 2 wonderful boys. So when I started spotting this time I became really worried and called my doctor. I went for an ultra sound the next day and found out I was having an ovarian pregnancy. I had to have emergency surgery during surgery the doctor just barely touched my ovary and it popped open, so they had to cut me open and they had to take my left ovary and tube. Recovery was tough, but I made it through, I'm glad I made it to the doctors, because my ovary could of popped at anytime and I could of bleed to death. It's a very scary thing. I think I might be pregnant again and I'm so scared I'll keep my fingers crossed and get to the doctors asap!

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had an ectopic pregnancy in January. I was five weeks pregnant and had lower back pain for a few days. Eventually, the back pain was so severe that I couldn't tell if the pain was also in my abdomen. I started to spot and my doctor met me at the hospital. After the ultrasound, he thought it was an ectopic pregnancy but was not 100% convinced. We did blood tests and waited to repeat the tests. The blood tests revealed a drop in pregnancy hormones, so he scraped my tubes and gave me the anti-cancer drug. So far, so good. I'm all healed now.

Ectopic Pregnancy - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your ectopic pregnancy?
Ectopic Pregnancy - Diagnosis Question: Please share the events that led to a diagnosis of an ectopic pregnancy.
Ectopic Pregnancy - Risk Factors Question: Please discuss any risk factors you might have had for an ectopic pregnancy.
Ectopic Pregnancy - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ectopic pregnancy.