Patient Comments: Ectopic Pregnancy - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms and diagnosis with your ectopic pregnancy.

Comment from: Lola, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

In the case of my ectopic pregnancy, I took the Plan B pill right after the condom broke. I got my period a week later. Normally it lasts seven days. This time it lasted a month and a half! I finally went to the doctor, and was told that I was pregnant. I got an ultrasound the next day but the doctor could not find anything in my uterus. Plus, I was still bleeding with heavy a flow and clotting. They did notice that there was a lump on the underside of my uterus and ruled it an ectopic pregnancy.

Comment from: worried , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I have had one ectopic pregnancy when my daughter was 7 months old she's now six. Last month I got very dizzy at work and end up rushing to the bathroom because I was extremely nauseated. Then about a week later I got a sharp pain on my right side. I didn't have a period for a month, but was cramping like I was going to have my period, but nothing. I would have light spotting but nothing happen until the first of this month. The bleeding is extremely heavy and I am not sure if this could be from another ectopic pregnancy or my endometriosis is acting up. I won't know until I go to the doctor on Tuesday.

Comment from: motherof one, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I am 32 years old and I had miscarriages in January and August of 2008. Then I had an ectopic pregnancy in November of 2008. I had no bleeding until I was six weeks pregnant. It was very light red spotting accompanied by pain that felt like a urinary tract infection. It was difficult to pee and bowel movements were difficult. It felt as if I had trapped wind all the time. The doctor had me go to the emergency room and they had me stay in the hospital for transvaginal scan. They told me it was an ectopic pregnancy, and I had to have my right tube removed immediately. After surgery, I had light bleeding for one week, and then it stopped. My belly was a bit bloated, and the stitches made me sore, but I am recovering well. I'm scared of future pregnancies though after so many failed ones.

Comment from: rainybop30, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I am 29 and had an ectopic pregnancy in July (four months ago). I was five to seven weeks pregnant, which I was not even aware of. It started with each month, I would have a week of brown spotting, followed by a week of light bleeding. I just figured my hormones were off. I started having a cramping/discomfort in my left pelvic area. I took a pregnancy test, which was negative. At the beginning of July, my breasts became very tender and uncomfortable. I had a feeling something wasn't right, so I took another home pregnancy test. When it came up positive, I made sure to get to my doctor. I required emergency surgery. I did not have to have my fallopian tube or ovary removed, but since this happened, I have cramping/discomfort very similar to the ectopic pregnancy every month with menstruation. I revisited my doctor to see if this is normal following an ectopic pregnancy, and they informed me it could be from scar tissue or hormonal. I still have brown spotting for about a week followed by a normal period (usually, sometimes it is very light).

Comment from: scaredmommy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I am 23, and I had an ectopic pregnancy about two weeks ago. It started out as a really sharp pain, and I felt like I had to poop as well. It went away and then when I peed, I was spotting. It sort of felt like a urinary tract infection (UTI). I went to the emergency room, and I was given methotrexate. I hope everything is going to go well, but I'm still very afraid.

Comment from: yummy.mummy2013, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I'm not sure how how far along I am, but I did a pregnancy test 3 times and they all say I'm pregnant. About a few months ago a had an ectopic pregnancy and I was bleeding for over 3 weeks. I went to the doctors and the hospital and I wad told it came away by itself so surgery was nor needed. While I had thus ectopic pregnancy I could feel my left side was more swollen then my right. I haven't had any bleeding in this pregnancy but my left side feels more swollen then my right again.

Comment from: Tiff, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I have 3 boys and after my 3rd son I had my tubes tied and burned. Me and my husband decided not to have anymore kids. It was a Tuesday I went to work like normal got home cooked supper and when I finished I started having stomach pains. I didn't think anything about it I woke up about 12:30 in severe pain and crying I could not even walk. I got on the couch and finally fell back asleep the next morning about 6:30 I went to the ER and they told me that I was pregnant I told them they were crazy they rushed me straight to another hospital where the doctor there told me I was lucky that I came in when I did. They took me straight to surgery and I was at home by 5:30 that afternoon. My youngest son is only 3 years old. I never expected this would happen to me but it did. It was the worst pain I have ever felt. Please take this serious.

Ectopic Pregnancy - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your ectopic pregnancy?
Ectopic Pregnancy - Diagnosis Question: Please share the events that led to a diagnosis of an ectopic pregnancy.
Ectopic Pregnancy - Risk Factors Question: Please discuss any risk factors you might have had for an ectopic pregnancy.
Ectopic Pregnancy - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ectopic pregnancy.