Patient Comments: Ectopic Pregnancy - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms and diagnosis with your ectopic pregnancy.

Comment from: Selma, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

It was my second pregnancy. (I have an 8 year old.) I think I was six weeks pregnant. I had a period two weeks ago for two days. My HCG was not increasing normally. The doctor did a quick ultrasound in the office and found nothing in the uterus. She suggested that it was an ectopic pregnancy. I was sent to the emergency room for the methotrexate injection, but they did their own tests and confirmed with a new ultrasound that it was ectopic pregnancy. I am now waiting for the HCG levels to decrease. Also, my main symptom for about two weeks was rectal pain during intercourse and while moving bowels. I also had left-sided pain intermittently.

Comment from: Loved, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

Friday night my husband and I went to sleep like usual. About 30 minutes later really sharp and cramp like pain began. Due to the fact that this was my first pregnancy I had no clue what to expect. I dragged myself to the bathroom and passed out there. I woke up to my husband's screaming my name. Then the vomiting started. Our OB suggested we go to ER. After all ultra sounds, proof of extremely low blood pressure, internal blood and a surgery that removed the ectopic pregnancy and its remains. I slowly started recovering. I got to the hospital around 11 pm Friday night and left the hospital around 9pm Saturday night. It was the longest 22 hours of my life. I am still extremely depressed for losing my baby and knowing that the chances of me having a normal and healthy pregnancy are not so great. However, I am glad we got to the hospital in time before I bled to death. Please take it seriously and seek professional care as soon as you suspect something could be wrong, i.e. Lightheadedness, abdominal pain, neck or shoulder pain.

Comment from: Gills, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had my ectopic pregnancy when I was 22 years old, and I will never forget how bad the pain was and how unwell I became. My symptoms started with spotting, and then I began having shoulder pain, which was very uncomfortable and worsened during the night. This was followed by extreme abdominal pain. It started like a stomach ache and then got worse. I also had diarrhea and constantly felt as if I needed to poo/pee. I was first diagnosed and sent home from the hospital with a stomach bug. (Good job, guys!) I got a second opinion, and was then diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy. I had my left tube removed completely. I became pregnant six months later and now have a gorgeous daughter. I am now 25 and still worry about this happening again in the future.

Comment from: Lola, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

In the case of my ectopic pregnancy, I took the Plan B pill right after the condom broke. I got my period a week later. Normally it lasts seven days. This time it lasted a month and a half! I finally went to the doctor, and was told that I was pregnant. I got an ultrasound the next day but the doctor could not find anything in my uterus. Plus, I was still bleeding with heavy a flow and clotting. They did notice that there was a lump on the underside of my uterus and ruled it an ectopic pregnancy.

Comment from: worried , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I have had one ectopic pregnancy when my daughter was 7 months old she's now six. Last month I got very dizzy at work and end up rushing to the bathroom because I was extremely nauseated. Then about a week later I got a sharp pain on my right side. I didn't have a period for a month, but was cramping like I was going to have my period, but nothing. I would have light spotting but nothing happen until the first of this month. The bleeding is extremely heavy and I am not sure if this could be from another ectopic pregnancy or my endometriosis is acting up. I won't know until I go to the doctor on Tuesday.

Comment from: motherof one, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I am 32 years old and I had miscarriages in January and August of 2008. Then I had an ectopic pregnancy in November of 2008. I had no bleeding until I was six weeks pregnant. It was very light red spotting accompanied by pain that felt like a urinary tract infection. It was difficult to pee and bowel movements were difficult. It felt as if I had trapped wind all the time. The doctor had me go to the emergency room and they had me stay in the hospital for transvaginal scan. They told me it was an ectopic pregnancy, and I had to have my right tube removed immediately. After surgery, I had light bleeding for one week, and then it stopped. My belly was a bit bloated, and the stitches made me sore, but I am recovering well. I'm scared of future pregnancies though after so many failed ones.

Ectopic Pregnancy - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your ectopic pregnancy?
Ectopic Pregnancy - Diagnosis Question: Please share the events that led to a diagnosis of an ectopic pregnancy.
Ectopic Pregnancy - Risk Factors Question: Please discuss any risk factors you might have had for an ectopic pregnancy.
Ectopic Pregnancy - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ectopic pregnancy.