Patient Comments: Ectopic Pregnancy - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms and diagnosis with your ectopic pregnancy.

Comment from: JByard, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I just found out last week my pregnancy was ectopic. I already have one son and my husband and I have been trying unsuccessfully for our second. When we found out we were pregnant again we were so happy, but the doctor was so cautious he wouldn't even give us a due date until I held the pregnancy for 2 more weeks. I started spotting and cramping, which broke our hearts, but it never turned into a full blood stream like my previous miscarriages. I went to the ER and after spending 12 hours in the ER, they ruled it ectopic and scheduled me for an immediate tubal removal. They removed my left fallopian tube. I haven't yet been back to the doctor to get my stitches out and talk about things, but we're so scared I won't be able to carry a successful full term pregnancy again. It is so nice to hear some successful stories on here.

Comment from: tatyana, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I have always wanted to have a baby since I got married. It has been a whole year of trying to get pregnant until finally I became pregnant. I think it took long because of the birth control methods. When I first found out I was pregnant I was at the clinic in which I was seen in the emergency side for cramps and brown spotting. When the doctor told me I was pregnant I couldn't believe it, I was so happy I couldn't wait to get home and tell my husband. Even though I was happy I was still shocked when the doctor told me that I could be having a miscarriage. She then told me to come back for blood tests. Three days later I got up to use the bathroom and I had the worst abdominal pain ever, it followed down to my pelvic area and my back was aching. The next thing I remember is my husband trying to wake me up. My husband called the ambulance and was rushed into the ER. It was the longest 11 hours of my life. After many tests and ultra sounds the doctor then told me I had to have emergency surgery because I had some internal bleeding. 2 hours later the surgery was over and the nurses were very comforting. They told me everything went well and that the other tube and my eggs appeared to look healthy. They told me that I can get pregnant again, but I know that the chances of having another ectopic is possible because the doctor warned me. It has been almost a week and I'm recovering well. I have a follow up soon and I will be asking a lot of questions. I am not going to give up on getting pregnant, but it is going to take time to heal!

Comment from: Selma, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

It was my second pregnancy. (I have an 8 year old.) I think I was six weeks pregnant. I had a period two weeks ago for two days. My HCG was not increasing normally. The doctor did a quick ultrasound in the office and found nothing in the uterus. She suggested that it was an ectopic pregnancy. I was sent to the emergency room for the methotrexate injection, but they did their own tests and confirmed with a new ultrasound that it was ectopic pregnancy. I am now waiting for the HCG levels to decrease. Also, my main symptom for about two weeks was rectal pain during intercourse and while moving bowels. I also had left-sided pain intermittently.

Comment from: Loved, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

Friday night my husband and I went to sleep like usual. About 30 minutes later really sharp and cramp like pain began. Due to the fact that this was my first pregnancy I had no clue what to expect. I dragged myself to the bathroom and passed out there. I woke up to my husband's screaming my name. Then the vomiting started. Our OB suggested we go to ER. After all ultra sounds, proof of extremely low blood pressure, internal blood and a surgery that removed the ectopic pregnancy and its remains. I slowly started recovering. I got to the hospital around 11 pm Friday night and left the hospital around 9pm Saturday night. It was the longest 22 hours of my life. I am still extremely depressed for losing my baby and knowing that the chances of me having a normal and healthy pregnancy are not so great. However, I am glad we got to the hospital in time before I bled to death. Please take it seriously and seek professional care as soon as you suspect something could be wrong, i.e. Lightheadedness, abdominal pain, neck or shoulder pain.

Comment from: Gills, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had my ectopic pregnancy when I was 22 years old, and I will never forget how bad the pain was and how unwell I became. My symptoms started with spotting, and then I began having shoulder pain, which was very uncomfortable and worsened during the night. This was followed by extreme abdominal pain. It started like a stomach ache and then got worse. I also had diarrhea and constantly felt as if I needed to poo/pee. I was first diagnosed and sent home from the hospital with a stomach bug. (Good job, guys!) I got a second opinion, and was then diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy. I had my left tube removed completely. I became pregnant six months later and now have a gorgeous daughter. I am now 25 and still worry about this happening again in the future.

Ectopic Pregnancy - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your ectopic pregnancy?
Ectopic Pregnancy - Diagnosis Question: Please share the events that led to a diagnosis of an ectopic pregnancy.
Ectopic Pregnancy - Risk Factors Question: Please discuss any risk factors you might have had for an ectopic pregnancy.
Ectopic Pregnancy - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ectopic pregnancy.