Patient Comments: Ectopic Pregnancy - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms and diagnosis with your ectopic pregnancy.

Comment from: Chloesmom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My very first pregnancy was an ectopic pregnancy. I had no idea until I started getting cramping in my lower left side. I put up with it thinking that maybe it was gas, but after 2 days it got so horrible I went to the emergency room where they told me I was pregnant. I had some really horrible doctors, who told me that the pain during pregnancy was normal, and the bleeding was normal. I went to the emergency room 2 more times within a few days, and each time, they told me it was normal, and I may be miscarrying. Frustrated, I waited one more day and went to a walk in clinic, where they sent me for emergency blood work and an ultrasound. They told me it was an ectopic pregnancy at almost 3 months. My tube was starting to rupture, and they told me if I had waited one more day, it probably would've ruptured and possibly killed me. If you feel something is wrong, please don't stop until someone confirms you are either healthy, or not via ultrasound and blood work! They managed to save the tube, and 3 years later I had a little girl! It took a bit of time, but once I stopped worrying that I would have another tubal, I got pregnant!

Comment from: Becky, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I missed a period and was so excited because my husband and I had been trying to get pregnant for almost a year. I had all the normal symptoms of pregnancy, breast tenderness, nausea, all of it. Then the cramps started. The next symptom was spotting. The pain became so great that I went to the emergency room. They did a transvaginal ultrasound, and the results were that the pregnancy was ectopic, outside the uterus. I was given methotrexate, and sent home.

Comment from: Suey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I am 39 years old and found out 2 weeks ago that I was pregnant for the 1st time. I don't know if it's related, but I came down with a pretty bad cold one day, and the next day I woke with a bad stomach ache. I thought at first it was gas from being pregnant, but after a couple of days I thought I was fighting a stomach bug. The stomach pain lasted for a week, but seemed to be getting better. I also spotted and bled very lightly during that week. On the seventh day I felt the best I'd felt for a week - Until 5:30 when I again had bad stomach pain, and thought I needed to have a bowel movement. The pain didn't go away, but continued to get worse. My husband came home and brought me to the hospital. After taking blood and doing an ultrasound, they determined I needed emergency surgery. During the surgery, they found the tube had already ruptured, and the doctor said it had probably been ruptured for a couple of weeks. He also said I was probably 4 to 6 weeks farther along than I had thought, making me 10 to 12 weeks along. It is now 4 days since surgery, and I've not been feeling well physically. I'm looking forward to getting back to my former self. I had a lot of gas pains from the surgery, and then seemed to be fighting a stomach bug again with bad diarrhea, stomach pains, and cramps. Still getting better from that, but I have numbness in my arms, especially when laying down.

Comment from: Trcle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had trouble getting pregnant. After 8 years, we were finally pregnant at age 39. I delivered a healthy girl. Two years later, at 41, a healthy baby boy. A year after my son was born I started experiencing right side shoulder pain and lower right side back pain above the hip bone. I had a light period the month before so I did not think much of the pain-just getting old. One morning, as I bent over to buckle my boots, I felt a sharp pain in my right side. I went to the emergency room and discovered I had a ruptured ectopic pregnancy. Surgery saved the fallopian tube, but there was scarring. After 15 months of trying to get pregnant for a third time, we were successful and I delivered a son at 44 years. There can be successful pregnancies following an ectopic pregnancy.

Comment from: JByard, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I just found out last week my pregnancy was ectopic. I already have one son and my husband and I have been trying unsuccessfully for our second. When we found out we were pregnant again we were so happy, but the doctor was so cautious he wouldn't even give us a due date until I held the pregnancy for 2 more weeks. I started spotting and cramping, which broke our hearts, but it never turned into a full blood stream like my previous miscarriages. I went to the ER and after spending 12 hours in the ER, they ruled it ectopic and scheduled me for an immediate tubal removal. They removed my left fallopian tube. I haven't yet been back to the doctor to get my stitches out and talk about things, but we're so scared I won't be able to carry a successful full term pregnancy again. It is so nice to hear some successful stories on here.

Comment from: tatyana, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I have always wanted to have a baby since I got married. It has been a whole year of trying to get pregnant until finally I became pregnant. I think it took long because of the birth control methods. When I first found out I was pregnant I was at the clinic in which I was seen in the emergency side for cramps and brown spotting. When the doctor told me I was pregnant I couldn't believe it, I was so happy I couldn't wait to get home and tell my husband. Even though I was happy I was still shocked when the doctor told me that I could be having a miscarriage. She then told me to come back for blood tests. Three days later I got up to use the bathroom and I had the worst abdominal pain ever, it followed down to my pelvic area and my back was aching. The next thing I remember is my husband trying to wake me up. My husband called the ambulance and was rushed into the ER. It was the longest 11 hours of my life. After many tests and ultra sounds the doctor then told me I had to have emergency surgery because I had some internal bleeding. 2 hours later the surgery was over and the nurses were very comforting. They told me everything went well and that the other tube and my eggs appeared to look healthy. They told me that I can get pregnant again, but I know that the chances of having another ectopic is possible because the doctor warned me. It has been almost a week and I'm recovering well. I have a follow up soon and I will be asking a lot of questions. I am not going to give up on getting pregnant, but it is going to take time to heal!

Ectopic Pregnancy - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your ectopic pregnancy?
Ectopic Pregnancy - Diagnosis Question: Please share the events that led to a diagnosis of an ectopic pregnancy.
Ectopic Pregnancy - Risk Factors Question: Please discuss any risk factors you might have had for an ectopic pregnancy.
Ectopic Pregnancy - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ectopic pregnancy.