Patient Comments: Ectopic Pregnancy - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms and diagnosis with your ectopic pregnancy.

Comment from: hurtn&dontnowhy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I'm not really sure what's going on with my body right now. I do know I had a period at the beginning of this month but it only lasted two days, and there was only blood when I wiped. Now maybe 2 weeks later, I started bleeding badly yesterday and had horrible back pain. Then today the blood is a lot lighter (barely any), I've been getting sharp shooting pains in my right lower part of my stomach, and at night mostly I feel like I am going to be sick. That's been going on since around the first period this month and at times the top of my chest, I guess my shoulder on either side, starts hurting and it doesn't happen to both at once though. I am 22 and my fiancé and I have been trying to have a baby with no luck, I am worried if it is ectopic pregnancy.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I had surgery for a tubal pregnancies about 2 1/2 years ago. And every month when I start my cycle I have horrible pain. I had my left tube removed. But the pain is on my right side. The pain is so bad I have to stay in bed with a heating pad. I am not sure what I should do.

Comment from: _ladii, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I found out about my ectopic pregnancy in November of last year. I knew I was pregnant but I had started having really bad stomach cramps, then I started feeling really flushed so I decided to go the hospital. When the doctors did an ultrasound they couldn't find the baby and that's when they told me about ectopic pregnancy. I had surgery, they have taken out my right fallopian tube, now I'm nervous about getting pregnant again because I do not want this to happen again.

Comment from: megan78, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I have only just got out of hospital from having an ectopic pregnancy, I had my right tube removed along with it. It started out as cramps and aches on my right side then spread up my belly a tad and across my back all on the right side, the doctor said I was constipated and sent me for a scan to have my appendix looked at but it wasn't either of those things. when I got to the hospital after further testing the gynecologist found that my tube had split already and blood was leaking so I had emergency surgery to have it all removed.

Comment from: Yaya1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

It started out as mild abdominal pain. At that time I did not know I was pregnant as I had spotting and mistaken it for a period. I went to see a general physician when the abdominal pains didn't stop. He diagnosed me with chronic constipation, said it was normal in patients my age. The cramps got worse and I started having fainting spells, I collapsed at work and was taken to the hospital. An ultrasound confirmed that I was pregnant with twins however one had been ectopic and one was in my womb. I had surgery that night to remove the ectopic and thankfully I carried the other baby to full term.

Comment from: Jo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I had IVF (in vitro fertilization) with 3 embryos transferred back, at the age of 41. Previously I had both tubes removed as they were blocked. I got a positive pregnancy test 2 weeks after egg transfer and scan was due 2 weeks after so I would be 6 weeks. I got to 5 weeks 2 days and had severe pain so went to the clinic (although I couldn't stand up straight) and they said 2 sacs were in my uterus so 3rd probably didn't take. I was told to visit a general physician as there was possible water infection and this was confirmed so I was put on antibiotics. Pain got worse 4 hours later and I kept fainting so I went to Accident & Emergency at 8PM. They still thought it was a water infection and were going to send me home but I was in agony and then I started spotting. Eventually at 9.30AM the next day they scanned me and called the emergency theatre team as there was masses of internal bleeding so I was rushed in urgently. I woke up about 3 hours later to be told that I had 2.7 liters on internal bleeding and the 3rd embryo had ruptured through the stump left from my tube removal. I had a blood transfusion and stayed in hospital for 4 days. A week later I had a scan and there were 2 little heartbeats measuring 6 weeks and 4 days so my fantastic consultant managed to save them when she carried out my surgery via keyhole. My twin boys are now 2 years old, I carried them till 36 weeks then had a C section.

Ectopic Pregnancy - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your ectopic pregnancy?
Ectopic Pregnancy - Diagnosis Question: Please share the events that led to a diagnosis of an ectopic pregnancy.
Ectopic Pregnancy - Risk Factors Question: Please discuss any risk factors you might have had for an ectopic pregnancy.
Ectopic Pregnancy - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ectopic pregnancy.