Patient Comments: Ectopic Pregnancy - Diagnosis

Please share the events that led to a diagnosis of an ectopic pregnancy.

Comment from: kristag, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I didn't even have a clue I was pregnant. I woke up and thought I had gas pain. The pain got progressively worse throughout the day until, about 5 hours later I was literally writhing on the floor with pain. My friend took me to the emergency room, they informed me that a urine pregnancy test came back positive and that they would send me home to let it "resolve itself". I refused and asked for a second opinion. The second doctor agreed to admit me, I was in the worst pain I have ever experienced! Later that evening after being admitted, they checked my hemoglobin and realized that I was bleeding internally and rushed to emergency surgery. I would have surely bled to death internally because I ruptured my tube, thank goodness I insisted on being admitted.

Comment from: Scared, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I was just told yesterday that I have an ectopic pregnancy. We were so excited to be pregnant. I had originally scheduled an appointment with an obstetrician/gynecologist as I have had issues with ovarian cyst like symptoms for years and we wanted to make sure I could have children. We have not been using protection and this last weekend I missed my period and took three pregnancy tests that all came back positive. I am so glad that I had the appointment scheduled because I continued to have what I thought was ovarian cyst like symptoms. I went into the exam room and the provider said, let's do a transvaginal ultrasound. He said I am indeed pregnant but he thought it is ectopic. My heart shattered and I didn't hear anything else of what was said. They sent me to the lab and told me they would call me the next day and tell me what the next steps are. I am so scared, depressed, and lost. I still haven't heard from them and can't quit worrying!

Comment from: susila, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

My last period was Feb. 3. I had spotting on March 4 and am still not getting much bleeding. Pregnancy tests are negative. I had an ectopic pregnancy two years.

Ectopic Pregnancy - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms and diagnosis with your ectopic pregnancy.
Ectopic Pregnancy - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your ectopic pregnancy?
Ectopic Pregnancy - Risk Factors Question: Please discuss any risk factors you might have had for an ectopic pregnancy.
Ectopic Pregnancy - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ectopic pregnancy.