Patient Comments: Ear Tubes - Experience

Question:Have you had success with ear tube placement?

Comment from: snowbunny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I stepped in a hole in the parking lot. At first I thought it was a bad sprain. My husband brought out a motorized cart. I didn't try to walk until I got home. The pain was horrible. This happened on Friday and I decided to go to the doctor on Tuesday. X-rays were taken and I was told I had a broken bone on the side of my foot and was told I had to go to the orthopedic doctors. I got in on Friday and saw a physician's assistant. One of the doctors decided I didn't need to see a doctor. The bone on the side next to my little toe was broken. One bone had three breaks in it. The ligaments and tendons were stretched, but not torn. I was given a moon boot to wear. What a pain! I was told not to walk on my foot. The pain is so bad, I couldn't put any weight on it if I wanted to. I have a walker and I can put a little weight on my toes. This boot is making my back and hips hurt. I don't know if I can put up with this six weeks. I was told I could take the boot off when I sleep, and other times as long as I didn't try to walk on it. Sometimes I have to take the boot off because it causes my foot to hurt worse. I have pain pills but they don't stop the pain. The walker is causing my hands and wrist to hurt. Because I have to put all the weight on my left foot, it is causing that foot to hurt and swell. If this ever heals I never want another broken bone. I broke my ankle on the same leg 15 years ago, but it wasn't this bad. I have had a bad year. I fell off a kitchen stool in July and broke my tailbone, now this. They need to fix the holes in their parking lot.

Comment from: Larlene, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

Seven years ago I became a grandmother and then suddenly caught every cold my grandson had. The end was always an ear infection. Now with 3 grandchildren, countless rounds of antibiotics and steroids, the doctor put a tube in my ear. Instant relief. I am not feeling submerged in fluid, I can hear and life is great. The tube fell out 7 months later, and my ear refilled with fluid. Yesterday new ear tube was put in and again I had instant relief.

Comment from: Hlo35, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 13

My daughter just got her 11th round of tubes. We have tried everything and her ears never get better. She's 15.

Comment from: Steven, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

I am 54 years old, and I have had ear tubes for about ten years now. I remember how bad things could get before I had them. Sure, there have been a few problems since I have had them in, but the benefits outweigh the costs. I remember being seriously impaired for long stretches of time, where everything I heard sounded muffled. I felt disoriented in social situations, and I felt alienated. My ear tubes changed that to where I feel normal, and well integrated socially.

Comment from: Shebee68, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I have had pressure in my ear for over a year now and the doctors do not know why. I decided to try a tube in that ear. I had the surgery ear tube placement a week ago and I regret it ever since. The procedure itself wasn't bad at all but the pressure in my ear is now ten times worse. I could have lived with the amount of pressure before, but this is almost unbearable. I'm hoping they can remove the tube because I don't know that I can put up with this until it falls out.

Comment from: Emily, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I just had my ear tubes put in and I'm waiting in the recovery room and I feel dizzy and nauseated. My ears feel hollow-like when I swallow, and it gives me pain when I chew.

Comment from: Melissa1969, Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I had ear tubes inserted last year after a persistent battle with eustachian tube dysfunction with more serious days causing significant pain and associated hearing loss. I felt almost total relief in two days. There was very little pain and I could return to some of the work I did before, such as traveling to mountainous regions for client visits. I could not be happier with the results. I had one tube fall out recently, and within a few days the symptoms started again. ENT is now moving my follow up appointment to a couple weeks so it can be a joint appointment with both the ENTs who work in the hospital. Happy to have another tube placed if that is what it takes, would like answers as to what causes/caused the symptoms in the first place as there are financial consequences for me, not being able to travel when it is bad.

Comment from: Frogger88, Female (Patient) Published: November 11

After suffering eustachian tube dysfunction for a long time I had one ear tube placed two and half months ago under local anesthetic. The ENT told me there was a 50 percent chance it would work. It did so amazingly well. I had the other one done today and even as the local anesthesia is wearing off, I can hear better than I could before it done.