Patient Comments: Ear Tubes - Experience

Question:Have you had success with ear tube placement?

Comment from: GJJR, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I have Samter's triad. I had tubes put in my ears 8 months ago. They are still discharging. It's to the point that I had to leave home because they discharge down my neck. I wake up with my hair plastered to my face. I have a lot of fluid built up behind my ears.

Comment from: christleis, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

No, I have not had a good experience with ear tube replacement. My identical twin sister and I had chronic ear infections, tonsillitis, and hearing loss. The navy doctors told my parents we needed to have our tonsils and adenoids removed, and tubes put in our ears. So being good parents they did it, and after having it done we both were lying in bed asking each other if our ears were ringing. We told one another they were and that it was very hard to hear anything, so we told our mom. Our mother told the navy doctors and they told my mom we were lying, and that there was no way our ears rang. It started right after we woke up from surgery at age 5, and I am now 44 years old, and my ears have (and my twin too) ringing 24 hours a day, 365 days a year nonstop. We had to learn how to talk again because we were talking so loud so that we could hear ourselves. We have to use loud fans and air conditioners to be able to block out the extremely loud high pitched ringing so that we can go to sleep. I honestly thought everyone had ringing ears but they don't. I'm telling you I would love to hear what it would be like to not have this ringing so that I could hear true quiet. I know if my ears ever stopped ringing the quiet would probably drive me insane.

Comment from: Will- San Diego, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I had a tube in one ear installed and it was terribly painful. I feel worse than before. Hearing is muffled, and I am not sure I can hear the same as before. Hearing is off and bass sounds hurt my ears. Not sure if I should remove them. What has always helped drain my sinuses and eustachian tubes was a massager, the percussion kind. This made my symptoms improve. I shouldn't have had this tube installed!

Comment from: snowbunny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I stepped in a hole in the parking lot. At first I thought it was a bad sprain. My husband brought out a motorized cart. I didn't try to walk until I got home. The pain was horrible. This happened on Friday and I decided to go to the doctor on Tuesday. X-rays were taken and I was told I had a broken bone on the side of my foot and was told I had to go to the orthopedic doctors. I got in on Friday and saw a physician's assistant. One of the doctors decided I didn't need to see a doctor. The bone on the side next to my little toe was broken. One bone had three breaks in it. The ligaments and tendons were stretched, but not torn. I was given a moon boot to wear. What a pain! I was told not to walk on my foot. The pain is so bad, I couldn't put any weight on it if I wanted to. I have a walker and I can put a little weight on my toes. This boot is making my back and hips hurt. I don't know if I can put up with this six weeks. I was told I could take the boot off when I sleep, and other times as long as I didn't try to walk on it. Sometimes I have to take the boot off because it causes my foot to hurt worse. I have pain pills but they don't stop the pain. The walker is causing my hands and wrist to hurt. Because I have to put all the weight on my left foot, it is causing that foot to hurt and swell. If this ever heals I never want another broken bone. I broke my ankle on the same leg 15 years ago, but it wasn't this bad. I have had a bad year. I fell off a kitchen stool in July and broke my tailbone, now this. They need to fix the holes in their parking lot.

Comment from: Larlene, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

Seven years ago I became a grandmother and then suddenly caught every cold my grandson had. The end was always an ear infection. Now with 3 grandchildren, countless rounds of antibiotics and steroids, the doctor put a tube in my ear. Instant relief. I am not feeling submerged in fluid, I can hear and life is great. The tube fell out 7 months later, and my ear refilled with fluid. Yesterday new ear tube was put in and again I had instant relief.

Comment from: BJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I just had an ear tube inserted and it was terribly painful. I don't know if it was so painful because I had so much fluid in my ear, but I would not do it again using just a numbing agent. And I think I have a pretty high tolerance to pain.

Comment from: Dave, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I had tubes placed in my ears six times as a child. My ear drums are badly scarred. Doctors have been puncturing ear drums and putting tubes in ears for 50 years! One would think medicine would have advanced in all that time. If doctors can put a stent in a beating heart I can't understand why they can't stent a eustachian tube by going in from the back of the throat!