Patient Comments: Ear Tubes - Experience

Question:Have you had success with ear tube placement?

Comment from: Regret, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I had the ear tube put in the week before Christmas last year. I regret having the surgery! I"ve had an ear infection ever since December, and been on several different types of medications. Nothing has worked, I'm starting a new medicine tonight along with steroids. My advice to anyone that is considering the tube, do your research and more research. It is very heart breaking when the doctor says he doesn"t know why I keep having ear infections. By the way, I"ve never had ear infections before. I went to the ENT specialist for ringing in my ear. Bad part is, my ear is still ringing, there is drainage of fluid, and it hurts.

Comment from: Mitchell, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I just got tubes, in both ears, about 2 hours ago and, already, feel 1000% better. My eustachian would not drain. I had bad fluid in my middle ear and hearing loss. Hearing is muffled slightly, right now that the doctor said should ease up in 2 weeks. Even muffled, I hear better than I did for years. I"m almost in tears I feel so much better. If anyone has the very extremely rare bad side effects (less than 1%) and tell you not to do it, don"t listen to them. I"m so happy.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I am 24 and I have suffered from eustachian tube dysfunction for years. I have experienced hearing loss, negative pressure and multiple ear infections. I had tubes put in for the first time 2 years ago, then 6 months after that and now just got the more permanent t tubes put in. I feel instant relief of pressure in my ears when I got them in, and my hearing is much better, I actually ha to keep cotton balls in my ears for a few days because everything seems too loud. I am hoping that the tubes last longer without getting plugged or falling out.

Comment from: Kooldude91, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I am 22 and suffered from chronic eustachian tube dysfunction for 5 years. I finally got tubes put in and it was life-changing. My ears always felt full before and I had trouble with hearing, especially with hyperacusis and hearing other people in loud places. An interesting thing that it did with music was it made the low-end muddled and overpowering and the high-end less clear and shrill. Certain female voices would make my skin crawl. The tubes made a huge difference, even my voice sounds different. The initial procedure was very painful (not under anesthesia) but it was over fast. Nothing too crazy. I could finally hear. A problem was that the tubes would fall out quickly for me, usually less than 6 months. I went from the basic tubes, to the slightly bigger tubes, and have recently gone to the more permanent "t-tubes". I've been told these tubes may last as long as 5 years, and may leave a hole in the ear drum that doesn't heal (which may be good for me, or may be fixed by surgery). The procedure also costs a ton of money, and isn't fully covered by my insurance at all. It's also required to keep the ears dry.

Comment from: frustrated, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I just got ear tubes for Eustachian tube dysfunction. I am warning anyone considering it to live with the symptoms you already have. I am nauseated and dizzy every day since the surgery for at least 3-4 hours in the morning and evening, I have constant ringing in that ear, my hearing is worse, I'm getting headaches and I hear myself breathe and swallow now. Do not get tubes. The symptoms without them are not worth the headache after getting them. You cannot imagine how upset I am that I had this done.

Comment from: DT, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

When I was growing up I had ear tubes placed in several times in both ears. As an adult my ears itch a lot and when I get a cold I get a horrible pain. The doctor said that I do not have an ear infection, but the pain is terrible. He can see the scars but can't feel my pain.

Comment from: elisabear, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I have had problems with ear infections my whole life. As a child, I had tubes placed into both ears. Then, as I got older and the infections in my left ear persisted, I had a "permanent" tube put into just the left ear. I still get ear infections when I am submerged into water without ear plugs, but the tube helps to ease my pain and allows me to hear better. However, it keeps falling out. As an adult, I've had two surgeries for tube placement. I'm going to have to have another one this year, as the one I have now is falling out and causing lots of pain and hearing loss.

Comment from: 5thsetoftubes, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I have had five sets of ear tubes now. My first set was at age 2, then 4, 6, 12, and 20. Whenever I have them in I never have ear infections, but when I don't have them it is a constant battle. I have had a constant ear infection for 10 months now, but tomorrow that will all change for the better when the new set goes in. The downside of all those ear infections, ruptured ear drums, and tubes is tons of scar tissue that requires me to be put under for the procedure even though I'm an adult and could handle the in-office procedure mentally.