Patient Comments: Ear Tubes - Experience

Question:Have you had success with ear tube placement?

Comment from: Emily, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I just had my ear tubes put in and I'm waiting in the recovery room and I feel dizzy and nauseated. My ears feel hollow-like when I swallow, and it gives me pain when I chew.

Comment from: frustrated, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I just got ear tubes for Eustachian tube dysfunction. I am warning anyone considering it to live with the symptoms you already have. I am nauseated and dizzy every day since the surgery for at least 3-4 hours in the morning and evening, I have constant ringing in that ear, my hearing is worse, I'm getting headaches and I hear myself breathe and swallow now. Do not get tubes. The symptoms without them are not worth the headache after getting them. You cannot imagine how upset I am that I had this done.

Comment from: elisabear, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I have had problems with ear infections my whole life. As a child, I had tubes placed into both ears. Then, as I got older and the infections in my left ear persisted, I had a "permanent" tube put into just the left ear. I still get ear infections when I am submerged into water without ear plugs, but the tube helps to ease my pain and allows me to hear better. However, it keeps falling out. As an adult, I've had two surgeries for tube placement. I'm going to have to have another one this year, as the one I have now is falling out and causing lots of pain and hearing loss.

Comment from: 5thsetoftubes, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I have had five sets of ear tubes now. My first set was at age 2, then 4, 6, 12, and 20. Whenever I have them in I never have ear infections, but when I don't have them it is a constant battle. I have had a constant ear infection for 10 months now, but tomorrow that will all change for the better when the new set goes in. The downside of all those ear infections, ruptured ear drums, and tubes is tons of scar tissue that requires me to be put under for the procedure even though I'm an adult and could handle the in-office procedure mentally.

Comment from: BG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I had ear tubes placed today. Even though I was numbed, it was still very painful. I almost passed out. I got through it and I hope that they provide relief from the pain of eustachian tube dysfunction.

Comment from: DT, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

When I was growing up I had ear tubes placed in several times in both ears. As an adult my ears itch a lot and when I get a cold I get a horrible pain. The doctor said that I do not have an ear infection, but the pain is terrible. He can see the scars but can't feel my pain.

Comment from: Janie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had blocked Eustachian tubes so I had ear tubes put in. The sound was worse, and I had them removed yesterday and I still can't hear, nothing is changed. The pressure is gone.

Comment from: jackie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have had tubes put in my left ear five times in 4 years. Six months ago I had a T-tube put in. I have now lodged inward and skin has grown around and over it. I have to have surgery to remove it. The pressure and pain is horrible and the doctor cannot get me in for 3 weeks.

Comment from: rthorn, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I had tubes placed in both ears when I was 4. After that, the tube in the left ear did not grow out, so I had to go back and have it removed. When I was 6, I had my tonsils removed due to constant infections. Now I'm 24, and my doctor has made a referral to have tubes put in my ears once again.

Comment from: Emily, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I am 15, and I had tubes when I was a baby and again when I was 14. I had to get the left one replaced, and it fell out recently, but the doctor said the old one is still in, so I'm confused. I still have the other one in my right ear. I have chronic ear infections. They hurt a lot, but I can never recall them bleeding. My ears also itch constantly, and it's hard for me to hear. The air likes to pop in my ears at the weirdest times. I don't know if I'm going deaf or not, but I can't seem to be able to hear out of my right ear.