Patient Comments: Ear Tubes - Experience

Question:Have you had success with ear tube placement?

Comment from: Janie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had blocked Eustachian tubes so I had ear tubes put in. The sound was worse, and I had them removed yesterday and I still can't hear, nothing is changed. The pressure is gone.

Comment from: jackie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have had tubes put in my left ear five times in 4 years. Six months ago I had a T-tube put in. I have now lodged inward and skin has grown around and over it. I have to have surgery to remove it. The pressure and pain is horrible and the doctor cannot get me in for 3 weeks.

Comment from: rthorn, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I had tubes placed in both ears when I was 4. After that, the tube in the left ear did not grow out, so I had to go back and have it removed. When I was 6, I had my tonsils removed due to constant infections. Now I'm 24, and my doctor has made a referral to have tubes put in my ears once again.

Comment from: Emily, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I am 15, and I had tubes when I was a baby and again when I was 14. I had to get the left one replaced, and it fell out recently, but the doctor said the old one is still in, so I'm confused. I still have the other one in my right ear. I have chronic ear infections. They hurt a lot, but I can never recall them bleeding. My ears also itch constantly, and it's hard for me to hear. The air likes to pop in my ears at the weirdest times. I don't know if I'm going deaf or not, but I can't seem to be able to hear out of my right ear.

Comment from: 4*60, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 27

I've had am ear tube placed with severe pain and now log-term tubes placed with basically no pain. Whoever is operating with painful operations is not doing this right. Pain-free recently was fantastic. My hearing was good for 3 years with the short-term tube. Now 4 days in one ear is great and one ear seems not so good with the long-term tubes. I'm sure we'll solve that problem or it will resolve itself.

Comment from: libran, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have needed a tube for years; I am over 50 years old and this January my Otolaryngologist decided it's time: I keep getting ear infections (as I've always gotten). So far, I STILL get ear infections, even in the same ear that the tube was implanted. Right now, I have an ear infection (April, 2011) and it's a serious one, so I am thinking that having this tube didn't really do anything for me at all.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I'm 38. I have had ear infections for the better part of my adult life. I have had a tube for 4 days so I'm still hopeful it will be worth the pain endured to have it put in. A needle into the eardrum then the burn of the medication to numb it, then pop a hole in the eardrum and smash the tube in. I felt everything and it was all I could to keep from screaming bloody murder. There must be a better way! Now 4 days in it drives me crazy! Constant itching and often feels like a bug crawling around deep in my ear then it bites me every so often. I was told to expect a lot of drainage. There has been none. Over all I will never have this done again. Insane not to use some kind of topical numbing medication before they stab a needle in your ear!

Comment from: Female (Caregiver) Published: January 27

My son had recurrent ear infections and at 24 months was delayed with his speech. At 26 months he had tubes put in his ears and within 2 weeks was speaking clearly and in grouping 5 words together at a time. It was like night and day. He is now 3.5 years old and still has the tubes in his ears. He has not had one ear infection following the procedure. He articulates very clearly! The only thing that I have noticed that affects him is loud noises. Noises that wouldn't typically bother the average person. He is very sensitive to sounds.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

At the age of 6 I had tubes placed in both ears. Now, 27, I have two malformed and 1 ruptured ear drum. I am currently seeking medical attention as I have had significant hearing loss in the ruptured ear. I'm also facing serious sinus related issues on the same side (I do not yet know if it is related). As a child my hearing issues never improved after the tubes.

Comment from: linfis2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I'm 28 and had a tube put in one of my ears about 6 months ago due to a serious ear infection and ear drum rupture. This was more painful than childbirth. I was given no medication or sedation only Novocain for numbing which didn't help at all.