Patient Comments: Ear Tubes - Experience

Question:Have you had success with ear tube placement?

Comment from: Steven, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

I am 54 years old, and I have had ear tubes for about ten years now. I remember how bad things could get before I had them. Sure, there have been a few problems since I have had them in, but the benefits outweigh the costs. I remember being seriously impaired for long stretches of time, where everything I heard sounded muffled. I felt disoriented in social situations, and I felt alienated. My ear tubes changed that to where I feel normal, and well integrated socially.

Comment from: Shebee68, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I have had pressure in my ear for over a year now and the doctors do not know why. I decided to try a tube in that ear. I had the surgery ear tube placement a week ago and I regret it ever since. The procedure itself wasn't bad at all but the pressure in my ear is now ten times worse. I could have lived with the amount of pressure before, but this is almost unbearable. I'm hoping they can remove the tube because I don't know that I can put up with this until it falls out.

Comment from: Melissa1969, Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I had ear tubes inserted last year after a persistent battle with eustachian tube dysfunction with more serious days causing significant pain and associated hearing loss. I felt almost total relief in two days. There was very little pain and I could return to some of the work I did before, such as traveling to mountainous regions for client visits. I could not be happier with the results. I had one tube fall out recently, and within a few days the symptoms started again. ENT is now moving my follow up appointment to a couple weeks so it can be a joint appointment with both the ENTs who work in the hospital. Happy to have another tube placed if that is what it takes, would like answers as to what causes/caused the symptoms in the first place as there are financial consequences for me, not being able to travel when it is bad.

Comment from: Frogger88, Female (Patient) Published: November 11

After suffering eustachian tube dysfunction for a long time I had one ear tube placed two and half months ago under local anesthetic. The ENT told me there was a 50 percent chance it would work. It did so amazingly well. I had the other one done today and even as the local anesthesia is wearing off, I can hear better than I could before it done.

Comment from: Regret, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I had the ear tube put in the week before Christmas last year. I regret having the surgery! I"ve had an ear infection ever since December, and been on several different types of medications. Nothing has worked, I'm starting a new medicine tonight along with steroids. My advice to anyone that is considering the tube, do your research and more research. It is very heart breaking when the doctor says he doesn"t know why I keep having ear infections. By the way, I"ve never had ear infections before. I went to the ENT specialist for ringing in my ear. Bad part is, my ear is still ringing, there is drainage of fluid, and it hurts.

Comment from: Mitchell, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I just got tubes, in both ears, about 2 hours ago and, already, feel 1000% better. My eustachian would not drain. I had bad fluid in my middle ear and hearing loss. Hearing is muffled slightly, right now that the doctor said should ease up in 2 weeks. Even muffled, I hear better than I did for years. I"m almost in tears I feel so much better. If anyone has the very extremely rare bad side effects (less than 1%) and tell you not to do it, don"t listen to them. I"m so happy.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I am 24 and I have suffered from eustachian tube dysfunction for years. I have experienced hearing loss, negative pressure and multiple ear infections. I had tubes put in for the first time 2 years ago, then 6 months after that and now just got the more permanent t tubes put in. I feel instant relief of pressure in my ears when I got them in, and my hearing is much better, I actually ha to keep cotton balls in my ears for a few days because everything seems too loud. I am hoping that the tubes last longer without getting plugged or falling out.

Comment from: Kooldude91, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I am 22 and suffered from chronic eustachian tube dysfunction for 5 years. I finally got tubes put in and it was life-changing. My ears always felt full before and I had trouble with hearing, especially with hyperacusis and hearing other people in loud places. An interesting thing that it did with music was it made the low-end muddled and overpowering and the high-end less clear and shrill. Certain female voices would make my skin crawl. The tubes made a huge difference, even my voice sounds different. The initial procedure was very painful (not under anesthesia) but it was over fast. Nothing too crazy. I could finally hear. A problem was that the tubes would fall out quickly for me, usually less than 6 months. I went from the basic tubes, to the slightly bigger tubes, and have recently gone to the more permanent "t-tubes". I've been told these tubes may last as long as 5 years, and may leave a hole in the ear drum that doesn't heal (which may be good for me, or may be fixed by surgery). The procedure also costs a ton of money, and isn't fully covered by my insurance at all. It's also required to keep the ears dry.