Patient Comments: Otitis Media - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your otitis media?

Comment from: J5, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I am 32 years old, and suffer from severe recurrent otitis media. At least one episode a year, since I was 3 years old. I have had up to 3 occurrences in a single year, but generally it's one a year, almost like clockwork. Only once, did it reach the point of rupturing my tympanic membrane, and it actually happened at the doctor's office almost immediately after he said he was surprised that it hadn't ruptured yet, based on how severe the infection looked to him. Sometimes I can manage the pain, and just ride them out, but the times it's unbearable I have found that oxycodone or other narcotic pain-relievers help relieve my pain better than anything else, and antibiotic drops work quickest at actually stopping the infection.

Comment from: Sal, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 18

My daughter has severe pain in ear and sometime she hears less too. The doctor has said that it is due to infection and has given her antibiotics.

Comment from: rodney1956, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

I presently have otitis media which was both very painful and upsetting to my balance (it caused a bit of trouble walking). I've had occasional problems with my ears ever since I used to get an abscess every time I got a new tooth as a baby. To treat my current condition, my GP prescribed 2 things that each helped a lot - Otodex eardrops and Amoxil antibiotics. I also believe taking garlic (a natural antibiotic) every day is very beneficial, and have found that a few drops of mouthwash in the ear helps tremendously (I use a cheap brand containing the sugar alcohol sorbitol plus the antibiotic cetylpyridinium chloride).

Comment from: del, 7-12 Female Published: May 23

My daughter is 12 years old and suffering from hearing loss on her left ear. When she was 7 we found out she had otitis media but when she was taking antibiotics her hearing problem was solved.

Comment from: bonifacio, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

I am 21 having problems with my ear and from my findings I feel like its otitis media. It started with pain from what I feel like the middle ear. Later I had impaired hearing from the affected side with painful blisters around the pinna. The medication I tried at first was cerumol oil and it worked now I can hear at least better than before but the problem is that I still feel pain from within my ear and I discharge fluids from the ear which are colorless and severe at night. Right now I feel like start taking antibiotics!! I am feeling like a teenager it's a mess.

Comment from: Unanomiss, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

Well I just started treatment with amoxicillin about 5 days ago, and I feel a huge difference!

Comment from: Tracy, 3-6 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

My 3 year old daughter has suffered from recurring bouts of Otitis Media and we tried antibiotics but they only worked for a short period of time before the infection came back. Our pediatrician kept advising us to have tubes inserted in her ears but after some research we decided not to go the tubes route. While searching the web we came across a product call the "Ear Ease" which claimed to be able to reduce or stop the ear pain common with Otitis Media. We ordered one from the company and tried it and it worked! This is just a simple oval shaped plastic water bottle that you fill with hot water and hold on your childs ear. The heat changes the pressure in the inner ear and opens the eustachian tube so the inner ear can drain. This simple device was a god-send for us. It is reusable and has save us a lot of time and aggravation going back to the Dr. every 3 or 4 months. I forgot what we paid for the Ear Ease but it was less than $20 and has been well worth the price.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

When I was a child I had severe ear infections. I have a lot of problems with my ears now at 44 years of age. They do not ache but are sore and swollen to the point I can not put them on my pillow at night. They constantly drain which causes them to get crusty and red. They swell so badly that my face swells. The doctor tells me it is hereditary and he can only treat the symptoms. They are perforated and have alot of scar tissue. I am miserable. They have a bad smell. My father had the same problem. He had fluid on the brain. Since he had surgery he has had no trouble with his ears. Should I be concerned?

Ear Infection (Otitis Media) - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with an ear infection in you or your child?
Ear Infection (Otitis Media) - Surgery Experience Question: Did you or your child have surgery to treat chronic ear infections? Please describe your experience.
Ear Infection - Risk Factors Question: What risk factors do you or your child have for ear infections? How have they effected the frequency of your or your child's ear infections?
Ear Infection - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies have you found effective in treating middle ear infections?
Ear Infection - Prevention Question: What steps do you take to prevent middle ear infections?