Ear Infection Index
Middle ear infection or inflammation (otitis media) is inflammation fo the middle ear. There are two types of otitis media, acute and chronic. Acute otitis media is generally short in duration, and chronic otitis media generally lasts several weeks. Seventy-five percent of children in the U.S. suffer from otitis media at some point. Treatment depends upon the type (chronic or acute).
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
Picture of Ear
There are three sections of the ear, according to the anatomy textbooks. They are the outer ear, the middle ear, and the inner...learn more »
Swollen Lymph Nodes
Lymph nodes help the body's immune system fight infections. Causes of swollen lymph nodes (glands) may include infection (viral,...learn more »
Vertigo is the sensation of spinning or rocking, even when someone is at rest. Vertigo may be caused by a problem in the brain or...learn more »
In This Article
Eustachian Tube Problems (Ear Tube Dysfunction, Blockage) Article
- Eustachian tube definition and facts
- What is the function of the Eustachian tube?
- What causes Eustachian tube dysfunction or blockage?
- What are the signs and symptoms of Eustachian tube dysfunction?
- What home remedies help clear Eustachian tube blockage?
- What is the medical treatment for clearing Eustachian tube dysfunction or blockage?
- What about Eustachian tube surgery?
- How do changes in altitude or air travel affect Eustachian tube problems?
In This Article
- Tonsillitis and adenoid infection definition and facts
- What are the tonsils and adenoids?
- What is the purpose of the tonsils and adenoids?
- What are the signs and symptoms of tonsillitis or an adenoid infection?
- What does tonsillitis look like
- Is tonsillitis contagious?
- What are common causes tonsillitis and adenoid
- Which specialties of doctors treat tonsillitis and adenoid infections?
- How are tonsillitis and adenoid infection diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for tonsillitis and adenoid infection?
- What natural or home remedies help soothe tonsillitis pain and inflammation?
- When should the tonsils and/or adenoids be removed
(tonsillectomy or adenoidectomy)?
The common cold (viral upper respiratory tract infection) is a contagious illness that may be caused by various viruses. Symptoms...learn more »