Ear Infection Index
Middle ear infection or inflammation (otitis media) is inflammation of the middle ear. There are two
forms of this type of ear infection, acute and chronic. Acute otitis media is generally short in duration, and chronic otitis media generally lasts several weeks. Seventy-five percent of children in the U.S. suffer from otitis media at some point.
Signs and symptoms in babies, toddlers, and children may:
- Be irritable and pull and tug at their ears
- Be fussy
- Have problems feeding or sleeping
- Complain about pain and fullness in the ear
- Have a fever
- A buildup of pus in the ear
- Have signs and symptoms of an
upper respiratory infection
Treatment depends upon the type (chronic or acute).
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
Swollen Lymph Nodes
Lymph nodes help the body's immune system fight infections. Causes of swollen lymph nodes (glands) may include infection (viral,...learn more »
Vertigo is the sensation of spinning or rocking, even when someone is at rest. Vertigo may be caused by a problem in the brain or...learn more »
In This Article
- Tonsillitis and adenoid infection definition and facts
- What are the tonsils and adenoids?
- What is the purpose of the tonsils and adenoids?
- What are the signs and symptoms of tonsillitis or an adenoid infection?
- What does tonsillitis look like
- Is tonsillitis contagious?
- What are common causes tonsillitis and adenoid
- Which specialties of doctors treat tonsillitis and adenoid infections?
- How are tonsillitis and adenoid infection diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for tonsillitis and adenoid infection?
- What natural or home remedies help soothe tonsillitis pain and inflammation?
- When should the tonsils and/or adenoids be removed
(tonsillectomy or adenoidectomy)?
In This Article
Eustachian Tube Problems (Ear Tube Dysfunction, Blockage) Article
- Eustachian tube definition and facts
- What is the function of the Eustachian tube?
- What causes Eustachian tube dysfunction or blockage?
- What are the signs and symptoms of Eustachian tube dysfunction?
- What home remedies help clear Eustachian tube blockage?
- What is the medical treatment for clearing Eustachian tube dysfunction or blockage?
- What about Eustachian tube surgery?
- How do changes in altitude or air travel affect Eustachian tube problems?
Sinus headache is caused by a sinus infection or inflammation of the sinus cavities. Symptoms of a sinus headache include pain,...learn more »