Patient Comments: E. Coli - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your E. coli infection?

Comment from: susan H., 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I was just discharged from the hospital with a diagnosis of E. coli. It took 4 days to grow a culture (from blood) and get the results because my only symptoms were mild (100 degrees) fever, severe chills and shaking, and inability to catch my breath. No urinary tract symptoms, no stomach cramps, no diarrhea. I've not heard of these symptoms in any article or information article.

Comment from: bob, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

Two month ago I started having a cold-like sore throat and then the next day I had excessive flatulence and went to the bathroom and I had diarrhea. I did not have any abdominal pain, nausea, or vomiting but I had the urge to go. At night I woke up feeling hot with a headache. I checked my temperature and it was 100.4. I took Tylenol and I felt better but the next day my diarrhea got worse with blood and I visited the bathroom like 20 times. When bedtime came I slept but I woke up at midnight with severe headache, fatigue, and my fever was 103.5. I went to the emergency room (ER) and they gave me IV fluids antibiotics and I was diagnosed with E. coli. I feared that it was meningitis or typhoid.

Comment from: Tam2014, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

When I was diagnosed with E. coli, I had just given birth to my daughter almost 2 weeks prior. I passed out and then was very weak. Other symptoms included 104.9 fever, vomiting, and loss of urine output. I couldn't eat or drink, couldn't move, and slept for 3 days before going to hospital. I got to the hospital and they got me in immediately. Said I had E. coli and was put in isolation for 1 week on IVs, blood cultures and catheters along with numerous medications. My potassium dropped to a dangerous level of 1.1. The doctor said if I hadn't come in when I did, I would have been dead within 24 to 48 hours.

Comment from: nancynurse, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

My symptoms of E. coli infection started with nausea and vomiting. Then severe abdominal pains and cramps followed by diarrhea turning into bloody diarrhea. I went to the emergency room (ER) for treatment before the bloody diarrhea started. I was treated for diverticulitis. I returned the same day due to continued severe abdominal pain and vomiting. I was in the hospital for several days receiving IV antibiotics and fluid replacement. The pains were so severe I could not get out of fetal position. My nurse told me she knew she finally was relieving my pain when I could get out of that position. I was off work for 2 weeks and had to start back part time. I'm very weak.

Comment from: Mtntrek, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

My background is I am type 1.5 diabetic, on insulin. I was diagnosed with chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP) after initial Guillain Barre syndrome (GBS). I had very sudden onset of urgent watery diarrhea coupled with my gastrointestinal neuropathy has had me in diapers over a month. There is pronounced sloshing in gut in between violent evacuations. With total loss of control while asleep, I"ve not slept in a bed or over 2 hours at a time in that period of time. I had very little pain and no vomiting. Usual hormone fluctuations, chills and sweats, although fever not noted. I lost 10% (18 lbs) weight. Total exhaustion has resulted in little exercise. There was CIDP symptom resurgence after a year in remission since last IVIG infusion. High glycemic BRAT diet is a far cry from my normal diabetes high fiber low carb diet, but it slowed frequency and volatility of purge cycles. No doubt next A1C could be less than optimal. Very humbling experience indeed.

E. Coli - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your E. coli infection?