Patient Comments: E. Coli - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your E. coli infection?

Comment from: Mtntrek, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

My background is I am type 1.5 diabetic, on insulin. I was diagnosed with chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP) after initial Guillain Barre syndrome (GBS). I had very sudden onset of urgent watery diarrhea coupled with my gastrointestinal neuropathy has had me in diapers over a month. There is pronounced sloshing in gut in between violent evacuations. With total loss of control while asleep, I"ve not slept in a bed or over 2 hours at a time in that period of time. I had very little pain and no vomiting. Usual hormone fluctuations, chills and sweats, although fever not noted. I lost 10% (18 lbs) weight. Total exhaustion has resulted in little exercise. There was CIDP symptom resurgence after a year in remission since last IVIG infusion. High glycemic BRAT diet is a far cry from my normal diabetes high fiber low carb diet, but it slowed frequency and volatility of purge cycles. No doubt next A1C could be less than optimal. Very humbling experience indeed.

Comment from: pf, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

My E. coli infection started out with gurgling in stomach, turned into stomach cramps, diarrhea, and within 24 hours turned into bloody urine/stools. I went to Urgent Care then to emergency room (because it was Sunday). The hospital did tests, but not stool culture, put me on antibiotics; it got worse and I had two ports inserted, scans, diverticulitis and colitis ruled out. Fourth day in ICU/isolation determined HUS (hemolytic uremic syndrome). I was started on feeding tube and plasmapheresis was added for 10 days. I had lots of headaches, shivering and vomiting, jaundiced skin color and hallucinations. I was off work 5 weeks with very little energy or ability to walk. I had reaction to flu vaccination with more diarrhea and vomiting. I lost 17 lbs on a 130 lb. frame. Eighteen months later, I have my weight back but still don"t have 100% energy and as a runner, my time has decreased from 8 minutes/mile to 11 minutes. My legs just won"t carry me. CBC is normal.

Comment from: Richard, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 04

My wife was diagnosed with E coli after months of feeling lowly and pains in the back and general body. On reporting a milky urine discharge, they requested a urine sample, and a second diagnoses, three days later, was called and changed her medication to a stronger antibiotic, as now they said it was E coli. She is feeling so much better after only a week after diagnosis.

Comment from: boymom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I was suddenly hit with severe stomach cramps. I couldn't stand up straight, or move from sitting to standing etc. I couldn't even roll over in bed the cramps were so bad. However, I never vomited or had diarrhea, which is different from what you read. Every day, they gradually got better and 5 days later, they were almost totally gone.

Comment from: sunizshinin2, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

My symptoms started on a Sunday. All my bones and joints hurt severely. I took a couple of ibuprofen and continued on my way to our family picnic. By the time the ibuprofen wore off my skin even hurt and I was shaking really bad. The next day I had stomach problems and I was basically pooping water and blood. Called my doctors office and they would not see me; says they did not want flu like symptoms in their office because of the danger to the elderly patients. I did end up at the emergency room because I could not stand the pain in my stomach anymore. The er doc said It appears to be some kind of infection. She did urine test, blood work, and a stool culture. I then learned I had gotten e coli 0157. Then everyone was surprised. Been off of work for over 1 week now and I still feel sick. But I definitely feel better.

Comment from: Ashley, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I got E.coli 0157 when I was 20 years old. It first started with loss of appetite then turned into diarrhea which then turned into bloody diarrhea. I was throwing up and could not hold down food or water. I was extremely weak. I then went to the emergency room where they diagnosed me with acute renal failure. I was also diagnosed with HUS and had multiple blood transfusions and plasmapheresis. My heart rate drastically increases as did my blood pressure. This caused swelling of my brain and ultimately I had 3 seizures. I had kidney dialysis done multiple times but my kidneys recovered and now are 100% back to normal.

E. Coli - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your E. coli infection?