Patient Comments: E. Coli - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your E. coli infection?

Comment from: kim, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I got blood clots in 2010, and thought I was having a heart attack. It turned out I had clots in both my lungs. I went home and broke my hip, and ended back in the hospital again. They had to put a filter in me so no clots would get to my heart. Now 6 years later I felt really sick and ended up passing out, and called 911. Turned out to be blood clots in both my legs. They got so big, I couldn't walk, and it felt like I was walking on sponges. My feet swelled up also, and no feeling in my feet! Nobody knows why I keep getting these clots. I am getting tired of the blood test every week. My arm has been hurting me since I came home and I asked if it was a clot. I was told you can't get clots in your arm. Now I read this eMedicineHealth and there are people with clots in their arms.

Comment from: JG56, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I was born in 1956, with deep vein thrombosis in my left knee area. Severe swelling occurred when I became active, consequently, I wore Ace bandages to school/play, and was miserable with throbbing pain at night. At age 6, I had surgery for phlebitis which involved cutting around the knee cap area and folding that skin back, thus allowing the doctor access to the large group of connected veins which pooled there under the knee cap area. The surgery was a success. I've had normal growth in my leg (some doctors warned I would not) and have yet to develop arthritis from trauma to that knee.

Comment from: susan H., 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I was just discharged from the hospital with a diagnosis of E. coli. It took 4 days to grow a culture (from blood) and get the results because my only symptoms were mild (100 degrees) fever, severe chills and shaking, and inability to catch my breath. No urinary tract symptoms, no stomach cramps, no diarrhea. I've not heard of these symptoms in any article or information article.

Comment from: bob, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

Two month ago I started having a cold-like sore throat and then the next day I had excessive flatulence and went to the bathroom and I had diarrhea. I did not have any abdominal pain, nausea, or vomiting but I had the urge to go. At night I woke up feeling hot with a headache. I checked my temperature and it was 100.4. I took Tylenol and I felt better but the next day my diarrhea got worse with blood and I visited the bathroom like 20 times. When bedtime came I slept but I woke up at midnight with severe headache, fatigue, and my fever was 103.5. I went to the emergency room (ER) and they gave me IV fluids antibiotics and I was diagnosed with E. coli. I feared that it was meningitis or typhoid.

Comment from: Tam2014, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

When I was diagnosed with E. coli, I had just given birth to my daughter almost 2 weeks prior. I passed out and then was very weak. Other symptoms included 104.9 fever, vomiting, and loss of urine output. I couldn't eat or drink, couldn't move, and slept for 3 days before going to hospital. I got to the hospital and they got me in immediately. Said I had E. coli and was put in isolation for 1 week on IVs, blood cultures and catheters along with numerous medications. My potassium dropped to a dangerous level of 1.1. The doctor said if I hadn't come in when I did, I would have been dead within 24 to 48 hours.

E. Coli - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your E. coli infection?
E. coli - Experience Question: How did you get E. coli infection?
E. coli - Transmission Question: If known, how did you get E. coli infection?
E. coli 0157:H7 - Complications Question: What complications did you or someone you know suffer from E. coli 0157:H7 infection?