Patient Comments: E. Coli - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your E. coli infection?

Comment from: JG56, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I was born in 1956, with deep vein thrombosis in my left knee area. Severe swelling occurred when I became active, consequently, I wore Ace bandages to school/play, and was miserable with throbbing pain at night. At age 6, I had surgery for phlebitis which involved cutting around the knee cap area and folding that skin back, thus allowing the doctor access to the large group of connected veins which pooled there under the knee cap area. The surgery was a success. I've had normal growth in my leg (some doctors warned I would not) and have yet to develop arthritis from trauma to that knee.

Comment from: susan H., 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I was just discharged from the hospital with a diagnosis of E. coli. It took 4 days to grow a culture (from blood) and get the results because my only symptoms were mild (100 degrees) fever, severe chills and shaking, and inability to catch my breath. No urinary tract symptoms, no stomach cramps, no diarrhea. I've not heard of these symptoms in any article or information article.

Comment from: bob, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

Two month ago I started having a cold-like sore throat and then the next day I had excessive flatulence and went to the bathroom and I had diarrhea. I did not have any abdominal pain, nausea, or vomiting but I had the urge to go. At night I woke up feeling hot with a headache. I checked my temperature and it was 100.4. I took Tylenol and I felt better but the next day my diarrhea got worse with blood and I visited the bathroom like 20 times. When bedtime came I slept but I woke up at midnight with severe headache, fatigue, and my fever was 103.5. I went to the emergency room (ER) and they gave me IV fluids antibiotics and I was diagnosed with E. coli. I feared that it was meningitis or typhoid.

Comment from: Tam2014, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

When I was diagnosed with E. coli, I had just given birth to my daughter almost 2 weeks prior. I passed out and then was very weak. Other symptoms included 104.9 fever, vomiting, and loss of urine output. I couldn't eat or drink, couldn't move, and slept for 3 days before going to hospital. I got to the hospital and they got me in immediately. Said I had E. coli and was put in isolation for 1 week on IVs, blood cultures and catheters along with numerous medications. My potassium dropped to a dangerous level of 1.1. The doctor said if I hadn't come in when I did, I would have been dead within 24 to 48 hours.

Comment from: nancynurse, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

My symptoms of E. coli infection started with nausea and vomiting. Then severe abdominal pains and cramps followed by diarrhea turning into bloody diarrhea. I went to the emergency room (ER) for treatment before the bloody diarrhea started. I was treated for diverticulitis. I returned the same day due to continued severe abdominal pain and vomiting. I was in the hospital for several days receiving IV antibiotics and fluid replacement. The pains were so severe I could not get out of fetal position. My nurse told me she knew she finally was relieving my pain when I could get out of that position. I was off work for 2 weeks and had to start back part time. I'm very weak.

Comment from: SEZsmitty, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 25

I've been dizzy and lightheaded for about a month. My wife of 65 years died about two months ago, but I do not know if that stress is a factor for my vertigo or not. Typical treatments for the relocation of the 'stones', or whatever they are called, do not work at all.

E. Coli - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your E. coli infection?
E. coli - Experience Question: How did you get E. coli infection?
E. coli - Transmission Question: If known, how did you get E. coli infection?
E. coli 0157:H7 - Complications Question: What complications did you or someone you know suffer from E. coli 0157:H7 infection?