Patient Comments: e-Cigarettes - Experience

Please share your experience with e-cigarettes vs smoking tobacco cigarettes.

Comment from: Dkd, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

For me, e-cigarettes have been a godsend. I smoked for 30 years and was up to 1 1/2- 2 packs/day. I tried to quit numerous times. I tried the patches, gum, lozenges, hypnosis, laser therapy and Chantix. I had also tried a variety of the e-cigarettes that look like cigarettes, but they were hard to smoke and didn't really taste right. December 2012 I was diagnosed with breast cancer. It was a totally hopeless feeling walking out of the radiation clinic lighting up a cigarette. My nephew sent me an Ego e-cigarette battery with a stardust tank and some pear flavored nicotine juice. I haven"t had a cigarette since February 2013 and what a difference it has made! I make my own juice so I am responsible for what is in it and have reduced the nicotine levels to near zero.

Comment from: wheezy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am 54 years and diagnosed just over a year ago with COPD. I tried to cut down from my pack a day habit by taking a few out every week, I was down to about 7 a day and then my father passed away and that put me right back to my pack a day again. I did not really even try to cut down for several months and ended up in the hospital on oxygen for 6 days. I have been using the e-cigarette since I got home, I have had no urges at all to have a real cigarette at all. This has been the easiest quit I have ever had, 34 days no cigarettes, no desire.

Comment from: e-cigarette success, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have not smoked a cigarette in over a year. E-cigarettes (refillable) have been the only way for me to quit smoking. I would much rather take a risk with 9 carcinogens than 14,000. I tried patches, gum' (yuck!) Zyban, Chantix, (evil!) hypnosis - nothing has worked for me like the e-cigarettes. My breathing is better, no colds or bronchitis in over a year, very much cleaner and less odor than cigarettes. I work as a mental health therapist and really enjoyed smoking for my own stress-relief. This has worked, it"s what I needed to do for my own health. Maybe at some point I will put this down, too!

Comment from: Moogue, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I am 39 and have smoked approximately 20 a day for 26 years. Whilst being in full understanding of the risks associated with smoking and also being in a high risk group I continued to smoke. It wasn"t until my personal circumstances changed including the cost of living that I decided to give the e-cigarettes or vaporizers a go. I had tried all other conventional methods via my general physician and just couldn"t quit. I am unable to take the tablet due to medications I must take. Anyway, I purchased an e-vapor starter kit (these are the ones that you can refill with different flavors and strengths). I was really impressed! Within a week I had all but stopped cigarettes, just that pesky morning one with coffee I couldn"t get past. I think a part of me didn"t really want to give up and still doesn"t. I moved house in November to a different county and it was therefore difficult to use my usual supplier. So what with moving and Christmas I went back to the fags. In February I sought out a new shop and went back on the e-cigarettes. What I found with the new shop was that I was getting very wheezy and coughing a lot... due I suspect to them mixing their own liquids. I personally think that there needs to be some legislation brought in pretty quickly across the world governing the mixology of these liquids. There needs to be some sort of standard in place. I didn"t get the wheezing from my first shop and they only used supplies from the food standards approved list and didn"t mix their own. Some liquids can be purchased up to 38mg of nicotine per 10ml of liquid! This is a highly poisonous substance and I have concerns about the bottles being left lying around for small hands to get hold of and drink. Despite it just being glycerin, flavor and nicotine being inhaled I can"t imagine that smoking sugar is going to be particularly good for anyone in the long term. I even know of a few people who have gone into hypoglycemic shock because of them, so diabetics beware! Yes they work... in the sense you can go from 20 to zero in a week but question your motives for changing is it to stop smoking, avoid the rain, or cost.

e-Cigarettes - Secondhand Vapors Question: What are your thoughts about the secondhand vapors expelled by e-cigarettes.
e-Cigarettes - Smoking Cessation Question: Have using e-cigarettes helped you to quit smoking?