Patient Comments: Persistent Depressive Disorder - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of persistent depressive disorder?

Comment from: anonymouse, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I've had low self-esteem, mild social anxiety, and a lot of self-hate for years. I hated the world, and I hated myself for no real reason, but it was very strong hate and I was suicidal. Basically, it was either than I wasn't good enough to be in the world, or I hated the world enough to want to remove myself from it. I cried almost every day, sometimes twice in a day. I had extremely negative self-talk, which I'm still dealing with. Right now I'm on Venlafaxine, an SSRI medication, and it's great. I guess I just needed a daily boost in my serotonin level.

Persistent Depressive Disorder - Diagnosis Question: How was your persistent depressive disorder diagnosed?
Persistent Depressive Disorder - Causes Question: What caused your persistent depressive disorder?
Persistent Depressive Disorder - Psychotherapy Question: If you have depression (persistent depressive disorder), have you tried psychotherapy? Please share your experience.
Persistent Depressive Disorder - Antidepressants Question: Please discuss your experience with any medications you've been prescribed for depression (persistent depressive disorder).
Persistent Depressive Disorder - Additional Support Question: Besides medication and talk therapy, what other ways have helped you deal with persistent depressive disorder?