Patient Comments: Indigestion - Symptoms

Question:What symptoms did you experience with your indigestion?

Comment from: Perfect, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

With my dyspepsia, I experience pain, bloating, distention, flatulence, belching, heartburn, feeling of a "lump in my throat," feeling of food being caught in my esophagus, food and/or acid coming up with belching, constipation, tightness in my throat, nausea, and a burning sensation in my stomach.

Comment from: Kitty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I have had dyspepsia with nausea, gas, burping, abdominal distention and pain for more than 25 years. Most distressing is when gas gets trapped in my stomach, and a vertebra between my shoulders in my upper back hurts. Rubbing this spot or various other spots causes me to burp and the discomfort is somewhat relieved. Also, twisting my upper torso and various exercises (such as rolling on the floor) seem to help. I have a lot of gas in my ribs, which I consider to be referral pain. I have used Tums, Zantac, Prilosec, Nexium, etc., which didn't really address the problem. Simethicone and charcoal capsules have been very helpful in relieving the gas. I have ingested some probiotics and am in the process of increasing the quantities to saturate my body with friendly bacteria, which aid digestion, I'm told. I've had endoscopies, ultrasounds, motility studies and a colonoscopy, which all revealed nothing. I've had success with digestive enzymes (lots of them) from the health food store, but they don't fix the problem. I am sick and tired of my waistline growing two to three inches from noon until bedtime every day. I have eliminated sugar and wheat and cut down on dairy products and this has helped somewhat. I just did a gall bladder cleanse, which produced nothing and probably won't change a thing. I have decreased the stress in my life by 90% over the past 10 years and now intend to lose 20 pounds, eat more raw foods and check into Chinese herbs.

Comment from: jacqueline W., 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

I just experienced a minor chemical burn from the toilet cleaner. It really burns.

Comment from: Emma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have stomach, back pain, nausea, generally feeling under the weather, chronic indigestion and weight loss.

Comment from: Pmh2011, 13-18 (Patient) Published: March 03

I'm fifteen, and two weeks ago, I was diagnosed with dyspepsia. I hate it so much. The pain in my stomach is unreal. The medicine they gave me helps some I'm sure, but there is still pain. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow because I also have anemia. I just want to be healthy again. Besides the stomach pain, I get really impatient. I don't know if it's just because I'm a teenager or if it's because of all of this. I'll also get tired or awake very quickly.

Comment from: Bri, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 28

I have the same indigestion symptoms as Kitty. I had the same sort of tests but at the moment they can't sort it out for me. I have not tried charcoal.

Comment from: Charmaine, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I feel full all the time. I have belching, pain in my abdomen, and heartburn. All I do is drink water like every 15 minutes for the past few days because I get dehydrated easily. I got me to thinking somewhat irrationally that maybe I feel full because of the water I drank continuously. It feels like the water never leaves my stomach.

Indigestion - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your dyspepsia?
Dyspepsia - Causes Question: If known, discuss the cause of your dyspepsia.
Dyspepsia - Tests Question: What types of tests and exams led to a diagnosis of dyspepsia?
Dyspepsia - Complications Question: What complications you have experienced with dyspepsia?