Patient Comments: Indigestion - Symptoms

Question:What symptoms did you experience with your indigestion?

Comment from: Perfect, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

With my dyspepsia, I experience pain, bloating, distention, flatulence, belching, heartburn, feeling of a "lump in my throat," feeling of food being caught in my esophagus, food and/or acid coming up with belching, constipation, tightness in my throat, nausea, and a burning sensation in my stomach.

Comment from: Kitty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I have had dyspepsia with nausea, gas, burping, abdominal distention and pain for more than 25 years. Most distressing is when gas gets trapped in my stomach, and a vertebra between my shoulders in my upper back hurts. Rubbing this spot or various other spots causes me to burp and the discomfort is somewhat relieved. Also, twisting my upper torso and various exercises (such as rolling on the floor) seem to help. I have a lot of gas in my ribs, which I consider to be referral pain. I have used Tums, Zantac, Prilosec, Nexium, etc., which didn't really address the problem. Simethicone and charcoal capsules have been very helpful in relieving the gas. I have ingested some probiotics and am in the process of increasing the quantities to saturate my body with friendly bacteria, which aid digestion, I'm told. I've had endoscopies, ultrasounds, motility studies and a colonoscopy, which all revealed nothing. I've had success with digestive enzymes (lots of them) from the health food store, but they don't fix the problem. I am sick and tired of my waistline growing two to three inches from noon until bedtime every day. I have eliminated sugar and wheat and cut down on dairy products and this has helped somewhat. I just did a gall bladder cleanse, which produced nothing and probably won't change a thing. I have decreased the stress in my life by 90% over the past 10 years and now intend to lose 20 pounds, eat more raw foods and check into Chinese herbs.

Comment from: Emma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have stomach, back pain, nausea, generally feeling under the weather, chronic indigestion and weight loss.

Comment from: Pmh2011, 13-18 (Patient) Published: March 03

I'm fifteen, and two weeks ago, I was diagnosed with dyspepsia. I hate it so much. The pain in my stomach is unreal. The medicine they gave me helps some I'm sure, but there is still pain. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow because I also have anemia. I just want to be healthy again. Besides the stomach pain, I get really impatient. I don't know if it's just because I'm a teenager or if it's because of all of this. I'll also get tired or awake very quickly.

Comment from: missminniesings, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I feel full all the time even when I also feel hungry. A few bites of food make me feel like I have gorged on a lot of food. I feel a lot of pain in the upper part of my stomach, right in the area where my ribs begin to separate. I often feel nauseous and I am very, very bloated. These symptoms are aggravated further by the fact that I am very constipated all the time. A gastroenterologist recommended that I take a "mega-dose" of Milk of Magnesia every day because I was going up to 14 days without a bowel movement this works fine as long as I don't stop taking it. Then I don't go at all again. I have been to a huge number of doctors and am on my 4th gastro-doctor. It is very frustrating when they shrug their shoulders. Further, I am unable to eat any vegetables that are not cooked to mush. Salads are completely out of the question and many cooked veggies are starting to make me hurt as well. I have not been able to eat even a bite of lettuce in over 12 years. I cannot eat apples, bananas or pineapple. Steak often makes my stomach hurt terribly. Forget Chinese or Japanese food!!! I most often eat grilled chicken and salmon...with bread and pasta as my side dishes. The lack of variety is terrible and the diet is definitely not healthy...this is further aggrivated by the fact that I have not been successful in taking vitamin supplements because they will not stay down. I know I am not healthy right now. I am gaining weight...not because I eat that much but because I eat stuff that is really bad for me and my metabolism is getting slower and slower. Exercise might help but I have no energy to do anything. I barely make it to work. Doctors want to put me on many medicines...they tell me I probably have sleep apnea...all I know is I feel terrible...there was no sleep apnea...the medicines they put me on do not help the pain or nausea and only serve to make me really sleepy most of the time. Anyway...I guess I have vented enough...

Comment from: Charmaine, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I feel full all the time. I have belching, pain in my abdomen, and heartburn. All I do is drink water like every 15 minutes for the past few days because I get dehydrated easily. I got me to thinking somewhat irrationally that maybe I feel full because of the water I drank continuously. It feels like the water never leaves my stomach.

Indigestion - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your dyspepsia?
Dyspepsia - Causes Question: If known, discuss the cause of your dyspepsia.
Dyspepsia - Tests Question: What types of tests and exams led to a diagnosis of dyspepsia?
Dyspepsia - Complications Question: What complications you have experienced with dyspepsia?